• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
It better look enough like an F150 and share as much as possible. I'm not interested in A an EV Silverado type EV F150 design. The Silverado looks like an updated Avalanche. If Ford "Ridgelines" the EV150 I'll be so disappointed. The designers really need to make both versions, ICE and EV similar inside and out. What I don't see, I don't care about. A lot of pressure and Responsibility on Ford Design.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It better look enough like an F150 and share as much as possible. I'm not interested in A an EV Silverado type EV F150 design. The Silverado looks like an updated Avalanche. If Ford "Ridgelines" the EV150 I'll be so disappointed. The designers really need to make both versions, ICE and EV similar inside and out. What I don't see, I don't care about. A lot of pressure and Responsibility on Ford Design.
"Out" could be a challenge if you really want improved performance/range. They need to do something to improve the aero. Big hitters would be

• Smaller and/or more aerodynamic mirrors (cameras?)
  • A more curved front end
  • Lowered and more sloped hood
  • Lowered, or the ability to lower with air suspension
  • A more sloped windshield
  • Hide away door handles of some sort
  • Potentially something to shape air across the bed (cab spoiler?)
All of that said, it doesn't have to look at fugly as the Silverado EV.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
A dedicated platform offers better packaging of batteries. If you look under a Lightning you'll see a huge void between the frame and the body. A less traditional design will provide better aero and more range due to increased efficiency. Not sure if the existing platform can be adapted to a 4-motor design, but that's another very nice high end feature.

Battery technology doesn't have to stand still just because they're putting money into a new platform; it is not an either/or if manufacturers want to evolve. This platform may also likely carry over to the EVpedition and perhaps the EVplorer, so it is worth putting some money into.
The existing platform is actually really good as an EV platform. The advantage of a new design is you can optimize it a bit, i.e. the battery case becomes the frame, for example. You could make a 4 motor, but a two motor is likely optimal already.

You could argue the next generation truck will be a "stop gap" until solid state batteries.

The whole interior and cab are designed for gas engine. You don't need a "fold down" shift lever in an EV, but you get the gas one because that's how you get to a $39K pro model. The tooling, the testing, the engineering has all been done for that shift lever. No need to drop another few million on a new part... would you pay $500 more to have a different shift lever? I wouldn't.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The existing platform is actually really good as an EV platform. The advantage of a new design is you can optimize it a bit, i.e. the battery case becomes the frame, for example. You could make a 4 motor, but a two motor is likely optimal already.

You could argue the next generation truck will be a "stop gap" until solid state batteries.

The whole interior and cab are designed for gas engine. You don't need a "fold down" shift lever in an EV, but you get the gas one because that's how you get to a $39K pro model. The tooling, the testing, the engineering has all been done for that shift lever. No need to drop another few million on a new part... would you pay $500 more to have a different shift lever? I wouldn't.
A great example of this is that the floor of the Lightning still has the gear tunnel indent even though it serves no purpose. If I had to guess, that is why Ford didn't offer a bench front seat - the bump would be very evident and everyone would ask why it is there!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Well, everything is a "stop gap" until the next great thing. :)

Is the gear selector in the ICE truck mechanically coupled to the transmission or is it also electronic? If the latter, then Ford is just hanging onto that as a familiar relic to make people feel comfortable about the vehicle. It's not a terrible move given the target demographic, but it's not particularly forward thinking. (And no, I don't think they should get rid of it altogether like Tesla did!) The start/stop button is another self-licking ice cream cone that needs to go in the next truck.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well, everything is a "stop gap" until the next great thing. :)

Is the gear selector in the ICE truck mechanically coupled to the transmission or is it also electronic? If the latter, then Ford is just hanging onto that as a familiar relic to make people feel comfortable about the vehicle. It's not a terrible move given the target demographic, but it's not particularly forward thinking. (And no, I don't think they should get rid of it altogether like Tesla did!) The start/stop button is another self-licking ice cream cone that needs to go in the next truck.
I agree that I want a real shifter of some sort, and not AI or on screen options. Bring back the column shifter! Or if not that, I would be OK with some buttons.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
"Out" could be a challenge if you really want improved performance/range. They need to do something to improve the aero. Big hitters would be

• Smaller and/or more aerodynamic mirrors (cameras?)
  • A more curved front end
  • Lowered and more sloped hood
  • Lowered, or the ability to lower with air suspension
  • A more sloped windshield
  • Hide away door handles of some sort
  • Potentially something to shape air across the bed (cab spoiler?)
All of that said, it doesn't have to look at fugly as the Silverado EV.

Although it may be on a new platform(new chassis?) I wouldn't expect the "look" or feel to be that much different. Unless something has drastically changed, Ford's whole strategy is electrification of the classics--- Mustang, f150, Explorer, Bronco, etc. (I bet you a shiny dollar we will see an EV Bronco, Expedition, Maverick or Ranger).

You can't electrify the classics and stray too far away..so while they may be different underneath they will look similar and invoke the same emotion as the originals. Thats Ford's strategy which I think is brilliant...

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Although it may be on a new platform(new chassis?) I wouldn't expect the "look" or feel to be that much different. Unless something has drastically changed, Ford's whole strategy is electrification of the classics--- Mustang, f150, Explorer, Bronco, etc. (I bet you a shiny dollar we will see an EV Bronco, Expedition, Maverick or Ranger).

You can't electrify the classics and stray too far away..so while they may be different underneath they will look similar and invoke the same emotion as the originals. Thats Ford's strategy which I think is brilliant...
I kinda wish they'd leave the classics alone and stop dragging their names along thinking they'll bring people along for the great electrification. If anything they just make people mad. I don't think the Mach-E name really needs another thread though.

That said, I hope the RANGE-r comes out soon. And maybe a new fast Galax-E sedan. One of each, please!

I think the Expedition will be Ford's next vehicle to electrify though, and it will share an EV platform with the new F150.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I kinda wish they'd leave the classics alone and stop dragging their names along thinking they'll bring people along for the great electrification. If anything they just make people mad. I don't think the Mach-E name really needs another thread though.

I think the Expedition will be Ford's next vehicle to electrify though, and it will share an EV platform with the new F150.
But they will.....don't you think there is a significant number of folks who would replace their gas f150 with an electric f150? Don't discount brand/model loyalty. Ford will get some(a lot) of newbies to the brand...but if they will also covert some brand loyalists to EVs. These people would drive an EV f150 or Explorer but would NEVER be caught dead in a Tesla....

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
The console shifter is just for that feel. You can get column shifter and 3 seats up front in the ICE Lariat and below. The middle seat has a sliding, pivoting workspace that's pretty neat.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning will be one and done stopgap in Ford's EV plans IMG_20220609_173000

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning will be one and done stopgap in Ford's EV plans IMG_20220609_172939

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning will be one and done stopgap in Ford's EV plans IMG_20220609_172909

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning will be one and done stopgap in Ford's EV plans IMG_20220609_172843

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning will be one and done stopgap in Ford's EV plans IMG_20220609_172810

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning will be one and done stopgap in Ford's EV plans IMG_20220609_172744

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

That said, I hope the RANGE-r comes out soon. And maybe a new fast Galax-E sedan. One of each, please!

They did make some people mad that didn't like it. The number one reason they got the response they did however is that again - they used the names and likeness of the existing cars. The only decision they had to make was would they piss more off or keep more interested. We know the answer.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think there's really any evidence suggesting that the old nameplate and design were the number one reason for people ordering. On the contrary, Ford did say that 3 out of 4 reservations were new to Ford. I personally never would have bought an ICE F150, but Ford was the only game in town for an EV truck that you could actually buy. I'll say that being an established automaker was important to me, but I would have also bought the Silverado if it were released first.

I still think the Lightning is a good product and I have no axe to grind with Ford, but the F150 name and likeness didn't really register for me much when deciding whether to put in an order. I bet many Ford diehards will only go kicking and screaming to an EV, even if it has a familiar face.

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
I think Ford did this right if they wanted to be quick to market.

Using similar parts simplifies the supply chain and manufacturing process, not to mention cost and maintenance benefits.

They can always build an all-new EV truck but as we seen by how long it's taken Rivian and Tesla, using the basic F-150 design was a good decision.

They should do the same thing with a larger SUV EV platform based on the Explorer... because there isn't much competition out there yet other than the X and the R1S (which is still not really "production").

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I think Ford got nervous when the Tesla truck was announced. It became a “Space race” to capturing the EV truck market. Ford needed to make sure they were first to market so they did everything they could to make the EV platform fit as many existing pieces as possible.

It has the added benefit of being cost effective and not noticeably different to those adverse to change. Make people get used to incremental changes and they won’t notice the shift to a new product.

ford knows it can always create another truck from scratch and just call it something different. They get the best of both worlds.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
I think Ford got nervous when the Tesla truck was announced. It became a “Space race” to capturing the EV truck market. Ford needed to make sure they were first to market so they did everything they could to make the EV platform fit as many existing pieces as possible.

It has the added benefit of being cost effective and not noticeably different to those adverse to change. Make people get used to incremental changes and they won’t notice the shift to a new product.

ford knows it can always create another truck from scratch and just call it something different. They get the best of both worlds.
Partly nervous... but, it was a huge opportunity when you look at the interest there was in the Tesla truck. It was pretty much a slam dunk that F-150 Lightning would come out at least 1-2 years before any Tesla truck, as Tesla's product development process is slow, really slow. It was as close to a zero risk bet as you get in the auto industry.

Is Cybertruck going to beat the next gen Ford truck to market? Likely yes.

This "one and done" has a lot of life left in it.
Sponsored