• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
Sounds like this will be the only generation of the F-150 Lightning, at least as an electric version of the ICE F-150. Future Ford electric pickups won't be based the F-150 platform and chassis.

Farley said this at 2022 Alliance Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference:

"In a kind of weird way, it’s kind of too bad that Lightning winds up being our most successful vehicle today because it feels so derivative from the F-Series. It’s not our only truck and the other trucks won’t look anything like it,” said Farley.​

Per Ford Authority - While that statement may seem radical, it isn’t completely out of line with how the company is thinking about its future as an electric vehicle manufacturer. The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning is simply an electric variant of the Ford F-150 and rides on the same basic platform. Going forward, that is not how Ford will develop its lineup, as it intends to do more than make carbon copies of its internal combustion lineup. In all likelihood, while the company certainly learned a lot developing the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning, it may ultimately be remembered as a very compelling stopgap pickup that paved the way for a fully electric Ford Ranger to go its own way instead of relying on its internal combustion counterpart. That said, not every Ford product will ditch tradition in the future, as the Ford Super Duty lineup is expected to remain somewhat traditional until technological advances can properly meet the needs of heavy duty pickup customers.
Sponsored

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Until the vast majority of truck buyers are ok with an "F150" that looks vastly different from a standard pickup - it'll probably continue to look just like it has today...a brick...so maybe they'll introduce a more cost effective unibody, perhaps a new body on frame platform or variable suspension, etc - but will probably look the same as it does today...

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Honestly I don't really care how it looks as long as it is tough, functional, and maintains the exceptional interior space of the F-150.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I would fully expect the future trucks to look different, but still like pickup trucks. You adapt or you die. The F150 has been adapting quite well. My first Ford truck over 40 years ago looked and rode nothing like my 2015 Lariat. I think Ford knows what it’s doing, no Cola fiascos. Steady modification rate moving forward.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My guess for the future (based on nothing really substantial), is that they will have a new, ground up / unibody, full size EV truck revealed around 2025, but that they will also continue to build the body on frame version (called the Lightning today) for traditionalists and fleet users - as long as they can get enough batteries.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
They said early on that this version would get a complete make over with a dedicated frame in 2025.

Yup. Has always been the case.

The current F150L was built the way it is to keep the price down.

The next F150 Electric will likely have an integrated skateboard platform.

In my wishful thinking world, the current frame on rails w/ a battery just bolted to it is better. Quite literally remove 8 bolts and disconnect some wires an you can replace the battery (vs. surgically taking apart the car). Maybe in 10 years when batteries are cheap, someone will offer an easy upgrade path to increase the range. Pay $15K for 400 miles of range, yes please :)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
so you'd be ok driving around in the cybertruck?
Why does it have to be a Cybertruck? A Rivian and a Silverado both use skateboard platforms and both look very much like a conventional pickup from the face back. I don’t see why the same couldn’t be done with a Ford face

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Unicorns are good for resale. In 7 years, the guy who wants to go EV will want a 1st gen Lightning over a 1st gen Silverado EV or 2nd gen Lightning. Cuz it looks like a truck.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Making something completely different sounds both exciting and anxiety inducing. With so little detail it's hard to know what to think. I know it's not designed from the ground up, but I feel comfortable with the lightning as I've seen it.

Is the next Generation going to look more like a van/truck to increase the bed size and shift the cabin into the frunk space? Maybe... but I kinda like the Frunk.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Maybe in 10 years when batteries are cheap, someone will offer an easy upgrade path to increase the range. Pay $15K for 400 miles of range, yes please :)
In 10 years I'm hoping that's a 600 mile range upgrade that also charges 10 x faster... Here's to hoping..

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Maybe I am just Old or Old School, but in a few years when I see the new 2025 Ford Lightnings racing up and down around my old Lightning I will not be too envious. We all always want what we want, not what we really need. I won't really need a $100,000 truck to replace my $80,000 Lightning.

But that's just me. After all, I am still happy with my iPhone 7 and my Windows 10 and my iPad (4th Gen). :)

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Why does it have to be a Cybertruck? A Rivian and a Silverado both use skateboard platforms and both look very much like a conventional pickup from the face back. I don’t see why the same couldn’t be done with a Ford face
Maybe I am crazy, but the Silverado with its midgate and the R1T with whatever the hell they did with its lights/front end are not traditional looking trucks. The Lightning looks like a truck, the Cybertruck looks like something from the future, Silverado and R1T aren't quite sure which of those two they want to be.