• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150 Lightning Pro vs Silverado EV Work Truck

DetroitHustle

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Consultant
I have a Lightning Pro scheduled for production in April and have been very much looking forward to it. Recently I have had some reservations about the Lightning as I am a same day Silverado EV reservation. Curious if anyone else here is in the same situation and considering not going through with their Lightning and waiting for the Silverado EV. The primary reason I am considering waiting is that I believe the Silverado EV will have significantly faster charge speeds with the 800v battery vs 400v. I doubt the base model work truck will have the advertised 350kw, but it can't be as low as 150kw given the battery platform. 90% of the time charge speeds are not an issue for me, but I make 275+ mile trips 7-8 times a year and the 45 minute DC fast charge wait time I think would drive me crazy. I am planning on keeping this vehicle for at least 8 years and waiting 1/1.5 years for a truck that will have significantly better charging capabilities seems like the logical thing to do, but deep down I just want to get into an electric truck and the Lightning is within reach.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Similar but different for me.
I have a '22 Lariat but for a solo commuter vehicle it was bit of an overkill.
Really wanted the $39K Pro trim originally.

As for the Silverado EV, I too have a first minute reservation.
I want the standard 250 mile range EV WT - have no need for 400 mile range.
Not sure about the quality of GM since their Hummer EV has been riddled with issues.

I am going to hold out for the base EV WT ($42K) and grab that one if and when it comes out.

Issue is that GM may not build many base EV WT and push the higher end WT2, WT3, WT4, RST, etc...

Will have to see...

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
The old saying about a bird in the hand ....

You will be paying significantly lower price for your Pro than the current MSRP, if you happened to find one available. It is highly likely the depreciation for a year or so will be very easy to recover by selling the Pro IF the GM promises come true.

It would seem your in the ideal position.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I will be holding out for the GMC Sierra as the replacement for my Lightning.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
@DetroitHustle According to this video by Out of Spec Reviews, charging 800-volt trucks and cars isn't necessarily twice as fast as 400-volt vehicles.

Sure, charging will be somewhat faster, assuming you find a DC fast charger capable of delivering enough power. But for most people, it won't make a lot of difference. It certainly wasn't enough to keep me from buying my 2022 Lightning in favor of future trucks from GM.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The low payload numbers for the Chevy made the decision for me. And I was a Chevy owner previous to getting my Lightning-Pro.
Sponsored