• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150L vs CyberTruck Tow-Battle Rematch (Hypothetical)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
The tl;dr - in 2022, the battle might only come down to the uninteresting differences in tire selection (as weight, etc., are nearly a wash).

We all remember the infamous Musk video of the CyberTruck walking away with an F150, which tow-battle was so gimmicky and discussed in pop-culture that even Neal deGrasse-Tyson weighed in to criticize the relevance of the “test”:

Ford F-150 Lightning F150L vs CyberTruck Tow-Battle Rematch (Hypothetical) 4CE3E4F8-C804-4966-BA15-86B1797CD2CD

And engineers took to YouTube to explain why the tow-battle was “completely pointless.”

Ultimately, Musk agreed to have a fairer rematch, Ford mostly called the whole show silly, and Musk perhaps eventually agreed because he never unilaterally attempted a rematch (the first towing gimmick wasn’t Ford-participated, either).

Well, three years later the tables have somewhat turned in at least one respect: Ford has a production BEV pickup, while Tesla still has prototypes.

Since Tesla CyberTrucks still don’t exist, it’s still not completely ripe to update the testosterone-relevant towing battle (usually reserved for coal-rolling diesel heads). But when have facts ever gotten in the way of a truck forum debate?

I wanted to first research and recount the prior 2019 towing battle stats, then take that Cybertruck’s stats and attempt to compare them to the closest F150L trim level’s stats for a virtual tow-battle rematch.

The 2019 Tow-Battle

2019 CyberTruck Stats: I could not find any definitive source of stats for the exact CyberTruck used in the 2019 battle (Tesla never said). Best I could find, squaring with available facts at the time, is that the truck was at least a mid-range (for 2019) trim with dual-motor and AWD (estimated):​
• HP: ~690​
• Torque: ~820​
• Weight: ~6,500lbs​
• Weight Distribution: assume ~50/50​
• Resulting Weight @ Drive Wheels: ~6,500​
2019 ICE F150 Stats: Ford-familiar observers were able to pretty squarely deduce the CT’s adversary was likely a RWD STX with the 2.7L ecoBoost v6:​
• HP: 325​
• Torque: 400​
• Weight: 4,400lbs​
• Weight Distribution: assume ~60/40 (RW)​
• Resulting Weight @ Drive Wheels: 1,760lbs​
The “Engineering Explained” YouTube back in 2019 made a compelling case for how and why relative torque had little to do with the outcome of the 2019 tow-battle. Instead, assuming both vehicles were in AWD (which he admits doesn’t appear to be the case for the ICE F150), and assuming both vehicle’s tires have the same friction coefficient (which is a bald assumption but makes the comparison relevant), the difference comes down entirely to the relative weight of the two vehicles, and how much of their plenty torque they can “put down.”. (The same point made by Neal deGrassse-Tyson.)

Ironically, this fact of relative weight was instantly obvious to pickup truck owners that tow, but lost on the cheering fans at the Tesla event. In other words, the people most impressed with the 2019 tow-battle were those who least understood towing.

Still, what’s a hypothetical 2022 matchup of a existing, production, F150L against its nearest trim-mate in the CyberTruck lineup?

2022 Tow-Battle Rematch

2022 CyberTruck Stats: Well, given the F150L’s best stat trim level (the dual-motor, AWD, Lariat ER or Platinum, depending on how you look at things), the dual motor CyberTruck continues to be the seeming best class-for-class competitor. Accordingly, just imagine the same 2019 CyberTruck prototype described above:​
• HP: ~690​
• Torque: ~820​
• Weight: ~6,500lbs​
• Resulting Weight @ Drive Wheels: ~6,500​

2022 F150L Stats: rather than putting the CyberTruck against arguably Ford’s least capable towing configuration, now there is a better pound-for-pound (literally) comparison in the Lightning Lariat/Platinum ER range:​
• HP: 580​
• Torque: 775​
• Weight: ~6,200lb​
• Resulting Weight @ Drive Wheels: ~6,200lb​
Given what’s been discussed regarding the relevant factors in such a tow-battle, primarily weight, we now in 2022 have on paper a far more interesting comparison.

In fact, since the CT’s weight is estimated (or imaginary, depending on how one looks at it), we’re looking at on-paper stats that truly do warrant a real-world tow-off to see how various nuances effect the outcome.

Indeed, the best comparison may be to weight load-match the F150L and CT for the tow-battle, which would then result in little more than watching the outcome of their relative tire friction coefficients.

All this testosterone poisoning to arrive at the the following, uninteresting, conclusion in 2022: when it comes to BEV tow-battles, it’s less about the truck you choose, and more about the tires you choose to put on the truck.

Of course, the interesting part of this conclusion is the arguable insight in to why Tesla hasn’t re-upped its toe-battle stunt, while Ford long ago called it stupid: EV people are learning about the basics of towing.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The Cybertruck would still win………

What Testosterone? These things don’t make any noise…..🤣

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
interesting!

based on what, do you think?

Setting aside, of course, the small detail that no CyberTruck actually exists…

it would come down, again, to a combo of weight and the friction coefficient of the combined driving tires.

and since for the CT there are no remotely accurate weight or tire data, except to say they are roughly similar to the F150L, I don’t see any way to come out confident that the CT would “win”

not that I have any actual dog in this fight, and instead only found it interesting to posit how uninteresting even a rematch would be

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It’s just based on my opinion that the comparison while pulling another truck it’s about the most worthless comparison or test you can do…….

To be honest, I do hope the Cybertruck wins so we don’t have to hear about how the test was “rigged” with a bunch of Tesla Fanbois crying about it.

I am also a CT reservation holder

Last edited:
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
It’s just based on my opinion that he while pulling another truck it’s about the most worthless comparison or test you can do…….
gotcha

yea, my post was a long-winded attempt at some humor to eventually arrive at that same conclusion

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

What Testosterone? These things don’t make any noise…..🤣
The Cybertruck would have to exist first... everyone is still waiting all these years later for the CT to show up...

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The Cybertruck would have to exist first... everyone is still waiting all these years later for the CT to show up...
I’m more interested in how it stacks up against the Silverado EV.

The CT is in the Toy Category with the Hummer…

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
There will be no cybertruck based on price and spec objectives. Impossible to build for under $125k. I have one on reservation, do not expect it to become real. As Rivian is finding while losing money on every truck they sell, objectives are aspirational - reality is hard.
Sponsored