• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Motortrend: Cybertruck vs R1T vs Lightning

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Summary:
I made the wrong choice selling the R1T and buying the Lightning.

FS: 2022 Lightning Lariat ER.
WTB: Rivian R1T.

Still don’t want: Cybertruck.
The CT for being new is right on par with the Lightning, even with it being a 3 year old platform.

Ford needs to get with it on the tech, hopefully T3 will knock it out of the park…

They got 200 miles of Towing with the Rivian, impressive….

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I made the wrong choice selling the R1T and buying the Lightning.
Not for me... Rivian & CT are just too close to mid size cabins for family haulers.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Gotta love how they shot for price parity in completely different ways. Performance and battery for the Rivian, 🤷‍♂️ for whatever jacked up the price of the Tesla, and Comfort and convenience features for the Ford (albeit still with the biggest battery available), then did nothing but performance testing with them. Kind of predetermined the outcome there.

I do have to hand it to the R1T, when it comes to range and acceleration, it wins; but there's so much more to driving than range and acceleration.

Sponsored
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Gotta love how they shot for price parity in completely different ways. Performance and battery for the Rivian, 🤷‍♂️ for whatever jacked up the price of the Tesla, and Comfort and convenience features for the Ford (albeit still with the biggest battery available), then did nothing but performance testing with them. Kind of predetermined the outcome there.

I do have to hand it to the R1T, when it comes to range and acceleration, it wins; but there's so much more to driving than range and acceleration.
It’s possible that with the Lariat ER Lightning, it would have taken 2nd place.

Comfort and Convenience is the same for the Platinum/Lariat except for a few things here or there.

Motortrend also got 3.8 0-60 from the Lariat Lightning which is on par with the “New” CT

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-lariat-first-test-0-60-review/

Im guessing the price parity was so Cybertruck owners don’t feel like they got robbed…..

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Not for me... Rivian & CT are just too close to mid size cabins for family haulers.
It’s actually worse than that, at least for the Rivian. I consider the Ridgeline to be midsized and the cabin of the Ridgeline is far more spacious. The cabin is quite tight and the lack of a fold up rear seat is a pain.

JohnnyEV

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
They should have used a Lariat, but the price discrepancy would have been to great. So instead they picked up a heavier and lower range F150 then maxed out the battery on the R1T while also decreasing it's 0-60 from 4.5 to 3.5 (does the performance have different suspension as well?) Poor cybertruck is really an 83K model with a markup only no increased power or range. We need a real Apples to Apples comparison at some point.

CarJunky

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Challenger 392, Lightning Lariat
Completely agree that the Lightning Lariat ER is the right comparison. More range, quicker, much lower costs (including MSRP discounts) and qualifies for the tax credit. And - as mentioned - interior space is a huge differentiator. Happy with my choice - after years waiting in line for the CT and having tested the Rivian. Too much like a Tacoma...not a full sized pickup.

They also failed to mention that the CT's frunk is a joke, no spare tire (on a truck...really?), and no paint, among additional draw-backs.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Lightning didn't do too bad for being built on a 10 year old ICE platform. Would have been in second place if they used a Lariat ER. I wouldn't trade mine for either of the other 2.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Some more comps if you have 2 hours to kill. I will post a summary if I get to watch it.

The reline is the rated range

Ford F-150 Lightning Motortrend: Cybertruck vs R1T vs Lightning 1710968465872-v0

Last edited:
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Hopefully the quality was better than this 😖