• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP outdoor mounting options

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone installed their FCSP outdoors? I want to be able to allow others that may not park in my garage to use the charger (visitors, neighbors, etc) and was curious if it was durable enough. I don't want to mount it on my house but not sure if there are other options. I appreciate the hives thoughts on this.

Cheers
Rob
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Has anyone installed their FCSP outdoors? I want to be able to allow others that may not park in my garage to use the charger (visitors, neighbors, etc) and was curious if it was durable enough. I don't want to mount it on my house but not sure if there are other options. I appreciate the hives thoughts on this.

Cheers
Rob
The FCSP seems to have the proper seals to make it weather resistant / rain tight. My opinion of the construction is that it's rather flimsy and cheap. I think it's probably ok for a single-family home, but definitely would not stand up to public use. I think the bezel is only likely to last a year (it just snaps on), and after a few years I'm willing to bet a kid's toy will break the plastic. That's my opinion, of course, and it depends upon whether your kids throw baseballs toward garages like mine or not. :)

Also note that the FCSP has a CCS type 1 connector on it, so certain EV's can't use it -- Tesla's J1772 adapter won't fit on that connector, and neither will older EV's that don't have a CCS connector.

OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The FCSP seems to have the proper seals to make it weather resistant / rain tight. My opinion of the construction is that it's rather flimsy and cheap. I think it's probably ok for a single-family home, but definitely would not stand up to public use. I think the bezel is only likely to last a year (it just snaps on), and after a few years I'm willing to bet a kid's toy will break the plastic. That's my opinion, of course, and it depends upon whether your kids throw baseballs toward garages like mine or not. :)

Also note that the FCSP has a CCS type 1 connector on it, so certain EV's can't use it -- Tesla's J1772 adapter won't fit on that connector, and neither will older EV's that don't have a CCS connector.
Thanow for the information. Wrt the tesla charging they come with a J1722 to Tesla adapter.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanow for the information. Wrt the tesla charging they come with a J1722 to Tesla adapter.
The Tesla adapter won’t plug into the CCS connector without modification. The FCSP has the CCS, not J1772.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The Tesla adapter won’t plug into the CCS connector without modification. The FCSP has the CCS, not J1772.
Good thing I have a Tesla charger in the garage then. thanks for the info.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good thing I have a Tesla charger in the garage then. thanks for the info.
I’ve heard it’s as simple as filing a tab off the adapter. I have no first hand experience, though.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I’ve heard it’s as simple as filing a tab off the adapter. I have no first hand experience, though.
Yes, I modified an extra J1772 adapter I had by using a Dremel to cut out a section of the ring. Not many people want to do that though.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

filmryder

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning XLT ER Agate Black
Occupation
Film and tv

Cheers
Rob
Yea, works great

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP outdoor mounting options A2096AB8-634A-4D0F-B241-7044D1BA131C

White Lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Pharmacist | Pharmacy Owner

Cheers
Rob
So far, so good.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP outdoor mounting options tempImage3MqkP3

xycarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Sasquatch, Lighting Lariat ER on order
So far, so good.

tempImage3MqkP3.png
For this example…. Are you setting up the charge station before going to the panel? I have a 100 amp panel with limited available capacity, and considering if I can branch off between the meter and my basement panel. Is that possible?

White Lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Pharmacist | Pharmacy Owner
For this example…. Are you setting up the charge station before going to the panel? I have a 100 amp panel with limited available capacity, and considering if I can branch off between the meter and my basement panel. Is that possible?
Yes, that's exactly how mine is wired. FCSP is connected to newly installed 100A breaker which is connected to my existing 200A outside disconnect. Main panel is bypassed.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP outdoor mounting options tempImageyWH5gl

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Mine is mounted on a pole that is exposed to the elements but slightly under an eve. It works fine. I did insure a weathertight seal to go into the back with flexible conduit. I use a NEMA 14-50 outlet to plug in the Tesla mobile charger as I have not yet modified a Tesla J1772 adapter to fit the FCSP and the mobile unit has been more than sufficient for the Tesla.
Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP outdoor mounting options 21054DFD-1690-4DBA-8E49-6E60CE6A7987
Sponsored