• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dual Charging Options

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm interested in hearing from people with WORKING dual charging setups. Not "I have two chargers on separate circuits", but "I have two chargers or a dual charger, on one circuit".

I have JuiceBox 48s, and they were fine until they forced me to the new app. That broke Time Of Use, lost the prorated charging, and sessions don't begin in the car delays them.

I am interested in intelligent chargers only, because I want TOU, and data.

I have found that Tesla chargers, specifically the latest Wall Connector and Universal Wall Connector, charge at a 50/50 split (with my Juicebox chargers I could setup a 67/33 split. If the internet goes down, they still communicate fine by WiFi with each other it appears. $1,100 for two Universal Wall Connectors, $900 for two Wall Connectors and I supply the adapters).

I did find a few dual 48amp chargers, but one appears to no longer be made, some are dumb or not 48amps (Grizzl-E Duo).

Requirements:

-48amps
-intelligent
-downloadable data (highly desirable, if not downloadable I could key it)
- available today, no "no longer sold" solutions

If you have this working in your home, please respond. Thanks!
Sponsored

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
I haven’t set up two together but Emporia all day. Their available data - especially (but not exclusively) hooked up to their Vue system and Home Assistant - is great. I have data on more power usage around my house than I could ever want.

They have time of use that can be configured to vary based on different factors and can be easily overridden from the app. With the Vue integration you can also have one start or stop charging based on circuit load. While I use this to stop heavy current pull while my drier or dishwasher’s running, and I don’t think they would by default balance between them, you can certainly knock up some super simple no-code automation in Home Assistant to prioritize one based on the SOC of the vehicles attached - or whether one even was.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I'm interested in hearing from people with WORKING dual charging setups. Not "I have two chargers on separate circuits", but "I have two chargers or a dual charger, on one circuit".

I have JuiceBox 48s, and they were fine until they forced me to the new app. That broke Time Of Use, lost the prorated charging, and sessions don't begin in the car delays them.

I have found that Tesla chargers, specifically the latest Wall Connector and Universal Wall Connector, charge at a 50/50 split (with my Juicebox chargers I could setup a 67/33 split. If the internet goes down, they still communicate fine by WiFi with each other it appears. $1,100 for two Universal Wall Connectors, $900 for two Wall Connectors and I supply the adapters).

I did find a few dual 48amp chargers, but one appears to no longer be made, some are dumb or not 48amps (Grizzl-E Duo).

Requirements:

-48amps
-intelligent

I assume one of your requirements is power sharing (so ChargePoint is weirdly out), but have you considered Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48A?

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I assume one of your requirements is power sharing (so ChargePoint is weirdly out), but have you considered Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48A?
Correct. ChargePoint has commercial shared chargers that are expensive.

Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48a came up as a suggestion on the Mach-E forum a bit earlier.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I haven’t set up two together but Emporia all day. Their available data - especially (but not exclusively) hooked up to their Vue system and Home Assistant - is great. I have data on more power usage around my house than I could ever want.
I charge my truck with the provided FCSP on a dedicated 100A circuit, so I was concerned about panel capacity in terms of adding a 48A charger for my wife's Tesla. I also found that Emporia with the Vue monitors seems to be the best solution out right now, and I have one in a box with 16 monitor clips waiting for install. Do you mind if I ask, how many monitor clips are you running and how much was the install?
Thanks
Zap

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Requirements:

-48amps
-intelligent

I'm still using a Gen2 Tesla HPWC. The split isn't always a set 50/50 as my Tesla maxes at 48A and the Ford maxes at 80A. But the primary charger is used for the Tesla and it definitely prioritizes the Tesla first and dishes out the remaining to the Ford. That said, I usually have my Teslas turned down to less than 20A as that's plenty for our usage. That ensures my Ford can guzzle it anytime I want.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm still using a Gen2 Tesla HPWC. The split isn't always a set 50/50 as my Tesla maxes at 48A and the Ford maxes at 80A. But the primary charger is used for the Tesla and it definitely prioritizes the Tesla first and dishes out the remaining to the Ford. That said, I usually have my Teslas turned down to less than 20A as that's plenty for our usage. That ensures my Ford can guzzle it anytime I want.
Unfortunately neither the Mach-E nor the Lightning can be turned up or down.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
I charge my truck with the provided FCSP on a dedicated 100A circuit, so I was concerned about panel capacity in terms of adding a 48A charger for my wife's Tesla. I also found that Emporia with the Vue monitors seems to be the best solution out right now, and I have one in a box with 16 monitor clips waiting for install. Do you mind if I ask, how many monitor clips are you running and how much was the install?
Thanks
Zap
I have two 16 sensor Vue devices, using 24 sensors total. It cost me the cost of the devices. Wiring it up is simple and with a relatively new house with space and sensible wiring inside the panel, it’d be pretty quick.

If you’re not comfortable working inside the panel, I can’t imagine a decent electrician taking more than an hour or two to hook it up and make it reasonably tidy. (If you want to do it yourself, turn the panel off, and if you don’t have a disconnect before the panel, be careful because some of the panel remains energized. But only do it if you’re completely comfortable.)

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
After getting Emporia's EVSE for the Lightning, I purchased their monitor kit with 16 sensors for our main panel. As we built our house and I did the wiring, I was comfortable with doing this myself. See an electrician if you don't know your electrical code!

We have three subpanels, one for the second floor, one for all things outdoor including the garage, and one that is a transfer panel for critical circuits. I was going to just monitor them off the main panel, but found it better to get three 8-sensor sets which freed up the six sensors in the main panel to cover everything therel. (You can monitor more than one circuit with the same sensor if you know what you're doing and have enough slack with the wires in the panel - but that's a whole other discussion!)

I have a "dumb" EVSE for my Focus Electric and I wanted to see the data on its operation, so the monitors on the subpanels (the garage one for this) accomplished this.

One subpanel needed ten sensors but the others only needed six, so I had two extras for future use (the monitor itself always has 16 inputs).

One comment on Emporia: among the three 8-sensor sets, one only had seven. Not sure which, but I ended up with only one extra. I had some difficulty reaching their Canadian distributor so I posted a comment on the Home Depot website (where I purchased it from). They got back to me and were quick to send me the replacement sensor along with one of their smart plugs for my troubles.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I don't have personal experience, but have researched a bit since I have two EVs. The only reasonable one I found was made by Grizzl-E. Works off a single 50-amp circuit and has two J-1772 connectors. If only one vehicle is plugged in, it delivers the full 40 amps to that vehicle. If two are plugged in it delivers 20 amps to each vehicle, and if one of them finishes then it will increase the amps to 32 on the vehicle still charging (not the full 40). If I didn't already have a functioning EVSE this is probably the setup I would get.
Sponsored