• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FDRS subscription

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks, I have emailed a contact I have on the EV team to see if they can push them down. I will keep you updated and thank you for the help!
As far as I know, they have no way of sending out an OTA. If you can pull that off, it would be the first time I hear of such a thing.
Sponsored

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
No, you don't remember when your vehicles "just worked" without software.

Vehicles now are insanely reliable compared to even 20 years ago, and by then there was already software throughout every car on the market. The least reliable vehicle on the market today would be in the top 10 most reliable in 2001.
I never said that, although until last year I had a 1986 MR2 that ran like a champ and literally never broke on me. I don't think there was any software in that car, and it was 100% reliable and durable. What I said was that I remember not having to have any software UPDATES that usually end up causing more problems than they solve. I also don't agree with you about reliability of cars 20 years ago. The Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago were at least as reliable as cars are today, on average, in part because they had far fewer systems and components that could fail. Some brands today (Stellantis, BMW, Mercedes, e.g.,) are undeniably more problematic than Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago (hell even of the 1970s). All "progress" is not positive. I was in the market for a Lightning this summer, but after combing the forums and thinking about it a lot, I bought a new Lexus GX 460 this weekend. It's an old-school N/A V8 and built like a friggin tank by Japanese craftsmen. I love it. It lacks many modern features, and the mileage is pretty bad, which is probably why I was able to get $10K off MSRP.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I never said that, although until last year I had a 1986 MR2 that ran like a champ and literally never broke on me. I don't think there was any software in that car, and it was 100% reliable and durable. What I said was that I remember not having to have any software UPDATES that usually end up causing more problems than they solve. I also don't agree with you about reliability of cars 20 years ago. The Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago were at least as reliable as cars are today, on average, in part because they had far fewer systems and components that could fail. Some brands today (Stellantis, BMW, Mercedes, e.g.,) are undeniably more problematic than Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago (hell even of the 1970s). All "progress" is not positive. I was in the market for a Lightning this summer, but after combing the forums and thinking about it a lot, I bought a new Lexus GX 460 this weekend. It's an old-school N/A V8 and built like a friggin tank by Japanese craftsmen. I love it. It lacks many modern features, and the mileage is pretty bad, which is probably why I was able to get $10K off MSRP.
It is all new for the 2024 model year. They are clearing the 23s out

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago were at least as reliable as cars are today, on average, in part because they had far fewer systems and components that could fail.
I think that they're more reliable in your memory than in reality. Those cars were very reliable compared to the other vehicles on the market at the time. But that's it. They're mostly gone.

Some brands today (Stellantis, BMW, Mercedes, e.g.,) are undeniably more problematic than Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago (hell even of the 1970s).
I will absolutely deny that. It's just wrong. A BMW from today is more reliable than a Toyota from 2000 was. Think about that. (Obviously any BWM older than 2008 or so is a different story)

Sponsored

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
As far as I know, they have no way of sending out an OTA. If you can pull that off, it would be the first time I hear of such a thing.
You are right @rugedraw ! They were not help and advised that I work with my service manager. I guess I just wait...but definitely concerned that the new APIM came with the latest software, but my OTA updates are still not working. I have not gotten anything since it was installed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You are right @rugedraw ! They were not help and advised that I work with my service manager. I guess I just wait...but definitely concerned that the new APIM came with the latest software, but my OTA updates are still not working. I have not gotten anything since it was installed.
One thing to note - if they attempted to update the APIM and it failed, the thing will brick itself (I think in 20 days) as a security measure.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
One thing to note - if they attempted to update the APIM and it failed, the thing will brick itself (I think in 20 days) as a security measure.
It's not that black and white. They would have needed to try to run certain config programs several times and gotten several failures before the APIM locks it self out. Even then, the word "brick" is a bit strong. The APIM will still work, but it lock itself out from being updated in the future should that have been the case.

In his case, all they did to the new APIM was run the PMI and they seem to have done it right. My only concern is that his Sync version is 23159 which is VERY new and if it is TOO new based on the software state of his other modules, there could be some underlying config issues there that may cause problems with updates in the future. However, it goes well beyond my scope of knowledge to see if that is the case.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I remember when vehicles just worked. They didn't need all of this BS software updating and "apps". It's all ridiculous.
And the warranty was 12 months or 12,000 miles.

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
And the warranty was 12 months or 12,000 miles.
Yeah, then Toyota went to 3/36 and everyone else was dragged along kicking and screaming, especially the Germans.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
If you don't mind, I would like to share your VIN privately with one other person. I would like a second opinion on your truck to make sure you don't have any configuration issues that would prevent you from getting successful updates in the future.

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you don't mind, I would like to share your VIN privately with one other person. I would like a second opinion on your truck to make sure you don't have any configuration issues that would prevent you from getting successful updates in the future.
Please do! Any assistance I can get to keep current on updates is appreciated.

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just got my first OTA update since March. It looks like an old one (23-PU0503-CON-FX), but I am thinking maybe it updated the components. Can you check again and see if I am more up to date?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I just got my first OTA update since March. It looks like an old one (23-PU0503-CON-FX), but I am thinking maybe it updated the components. Can you check again and see if I am more up to date?

That is a GWM update, the the GWM is now gone from the list of pending updates:

Ford F-150 Lightning FDRS subscription 1695945956965

I am still waiting to hear back from Jesse in regards to your truck, but you getting updates go through succesfully is agood sign.

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is a GWM update, the the GWM is now gone from the list of pending updates:

1695945956965.png

I am still waiting to hear back from Jesse in regards to your truck, but you getting updates go through succesfully is agood sign.
Yes, sounds like a good start and hopefully more to come soon!
Sponsored