• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is how it's done. Not even on the road with their truck (many people tow with other Tesla models too however) and Tesla is responding and taking action to make life better for their drivers.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
It would be interesting if they added a small penalty for using the pull-through spots without a trailer if other spots are available.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
thats a great location, I'll be able to try that one out

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
well, I hate to break the bad news, but these were designed by Tesla, for Tesla vehicles...
if you pull in with a trailer, with your Lightning, you'll be out of luck - won't reach.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
well, I hate to break the bad news, but these were designed by Tesla, for Tesla vehicles...
if you pull in with a trailer, with your Lightning, you'll be out of luck - won't reach.
I think it is clear these are Tesla chargers. the interesting bit is seeing Tesla thinking through these stations.

that said, with the prospect of the new non-Tesla charging subscriptions, itā€™s not out of question that station designs like these become useful to the F150L

otherwise, I donā€™t follow exactly how or why you say they wonā€™t reach. The chargers themselves appear to be positioned right side of vehicle, mid-truck.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
not if you're pulling a trailer...

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
This is how it's done. Not even on the road with their truck (many people tow with other Tesla models too however) and Tesla is responding and taking action to make life better for their drivers.
true true, though the MX and MY are both towing capable so thereā€™s some utility for these absent the CT

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
it might work fine for rear-corner charge port Tesla vehicles, but other vehicles with either front charge ports or front left charge ports will probably not reach if you are pulled up far enough to keep a trailer within the parking space. Most charge cables don't reach that far.

if Tesla opens up to other brands, it's just not going to work for other manufacturers port locations.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I think it is clear these are Tesla chargers. the interesting bit is seeing Tesla thinking through these stations.

that said, with the prospect of the new non-Tesla charging subscriptions, itā€™s not out of question that station designs like these become useful to the F150L

otherwise, I donā€™t follow exactly how or why you say they wonā€™t reach. The chargers themselves appear to be positioned left side of vehicle, mid-truck.
correcting my accidental error before - the chargers are driver side

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
if Tesla opens up to other brands, it's just not going to work for other manufacturers port locations.
since the chargers are driver-side, I suppose it all comes down to how much cable Tesla provides, and whether someone feels like they canā€™t hang their trailer out the back ā€¦ which Iā€™d take to maybe be the point of a pull-through station (white boxes notwithstanding)

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
what it really points out is that, unlike most ICE cars and trucks, charge port locations on EVs are not yet 'standardized'. What might work for one manufacturer is problematic for others. Most any ChargePoint/GaPower chargers we see here in GA are directly in front of the vehicle. That's great for a Nissan Leaf, with it's charge port in the very front, but not very realistic for my Lightning. Yes the charge cable MIGHT reach, but, if someone is parked on the right side of the pedestal, and I have to park on the left, I'm probably out of luck. Backing in would probably not work, either. The location of the Lightnings charge port is well back of the very front of the vehicle, meaning that charge cables will have to reach a much longer way - they normally don't. Charge equipment manufacturers won't the shortest possible cable - you can imagine why - there is a lot of power running thru them.

But, just like regular gas stations, there can be issues when you are towing - it's not easy, especially if it is crowded, or the entry/exits are not well designed for long-length vehicle combinations. Sometimes just maneuvering in and out of stations is the problem, take for instance MURPHY's within Walmart parking lots. They are the tightest in the industry.

Without much longer cables, or multiple cables or pedestals per space, it's not going to always to easy.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Roof, roof, roof. Even the parking lot tents would be great.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
it might work fine for rear-corner charge port Tesla vehicles, but other vehicles with either front charge ports or front left charge ports will probably not reach if you are pulled up far enough to keep a trailer within the parking space. Most charge cables don't reach that far.

Agree, those Tesla SuperCharger charge cables are VERY short - so short that when I looked at them next to Tesla Destination chargers where I charged my Lightning, I noticed the SC cables barely clear the housing.

If and when Tesla opens up their charging network to non Teslas, they would have to either replace the SC cables for use with an adapter or add another CCS cable that will reach vehicles like the Lightning.

At the Tesla SC and L2 Destination chargers - look at how short the SC cables are - all the Teslas have to back in.

My Lightning is forward w/ super long J1772 charge cable:
Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharger Station With Pull-Through Lanes For EV Trucks! IMG_9401.JPG
Sponsored