• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Forbes article on Fords adopting NACS

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've read somewhere, FORDPASS will be used to initiate the session, as is done with other Blue Oval Network systems (Charge Point, etc)
I wonder if you will have to pay for Plug and Charge access in order to use said NACS chargers? Right now, we have to pay for said future (although we're all on the 3yr trial) but what happens in 5 years or so? I'd hate to have to pay to use Plug and Charge when I need to supercharge, considering it doesn't get you discounted rates.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
If that's the case then you wpuld be able to start the charge on a non-ford vehicle, assuming Tesla doesn't use MAC addresses, certificates, or some other way to whitelist Ford vehicles.

There's a supercharger blacklist for salvaged Teslas but no one has tested this with a magic dock with a ccs adapter to my knowledge (i.e. Tesla plug>CCS adapter>Tesla adapter). If they don't block salvaged Teslas from magic docks there is a good chance you could get around the non-Ford restriction with FordPass.
Assuming the ISO 15118 is used still, which it would be crazy not to be since Tesla claims to support it and Ford supports it today, it's all certificate based.

SwitchEV/iso15118: Implementation of the ISO 15118 Communication Protocol (-2, -20, -8) (github.com)