• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford REALLY doesn't want you to kill it.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Polarization is why you see a battery shut down, but if you turn it off and back on, it will work a little longer. The voltage will rebound (either up or down depending on if you were charging or discharging) and a voltage based BMS will allow operation again.

This is VERY bad for an NMC Li-ion cell. You are effectively over discharging the cell. Because the BMS designers KNOW people will try this, the Ford BMS will have a buffer to keep you from going into the abuse area.

While your truck will not allow you to go below 0% SOC (yes I have taken cells below 0%) those very low SOC levels WILL cause some damage to the cells.

Interesting aside; some of the standards call for taking a cell to 100% negative Vmax, i.e, take a cell down to -4.2 V.
Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Got mine down to 9% yesterday. Something weird I noticed is the difference between the guess-o-meter when you have a nav route active vs not. Seems if you have the nav active it makes a lot of assumptions about your route, whereas if you have no destinate set, it just uses the current efficiency per mile to guess how far you could go at the same speed and conditions. On the highway this is kind of annoying, it must assume I'm gonna drive 75mph, even though I was purposely driving slow to make sure I get home. The whole way on my trip the nav said I'd be at negative 20 miles at my destination, I made it home with +17.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Got mine down to 9% yesterday. Something weird I noticed is the difference between the guess-o-meter when you have a nav route active vs not. Seems if you have the nav active it makes a lot of assumptions about your route, whereas if you have no destinate set, it just uses the current efficiency per mile to guess how far you could go at the same speed and conditions. On the highway this is kind of annoying, it must assume I'm gonna drive 75mph, even though I was purposely driving slow to make sure I get home. The whole way on my trip the nav said I'd be at negative 20 miles at my destination, I made it home with +17.
Reason # 326 to ignore the GOM! 😀

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL