• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford reverses course, will keep AM radio on future models

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
How are they going to restore it to vehicles that didn't have it? Internet based broadcasts?

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
How are they going to restore it to vehicles that didn't have it? Internet based broadcasts?
I'm guessing they didn't ever remove the hardware, and just disabled it in software. They weren't going to spin up a special radio just for this (rather than just ship the same as the regular F150), and I suspect they disabled it because the reception complaints were horrific.

I'd also suspect they were able to improve the firmware on the radio to the point where the motor's interference can be better dealt with/eliminated, so they have better reception now.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That would make sense. I assumed they removed the hardware but I think you're right.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
This is stoopid. They’re pandering to the < 5% of their customers who actually think they care about AM radio and would use it…. Going to restore it for 2021-2024 and potentially another model year or two after. The FCC was going to eliminate AM radio but there was enough of a public outcry that they shelved that legislation for later review. I think they revisit the topic in 2027. There really isn’t a technical reason for AM to persist. I think as of 2018 or whenever the FCC shelved the planned 2030 AM radio termination, there were about 4200 actively broadcasting AM stations. Of those, less than 800 of them were solely broadcasting on AM, while the rest were simultaneously broadcasting on FM and many also via satellite or internet.

Keeping AM radio alive is nothing more than a nostalgic circle jerk.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
This is stoopid. They’re pandering to the < 5% of their customers who actually think they care about AM radio and would use it…. Going to restore it for 2021-2024 and potentially another model year or two after. The FCC was going to eliminate AM radio but there was enough of a public outcry that they shelved that legislation for later review. I think they revisit the topic in 2027. There really isn’t a technical reason for AM to persist. I think as of 2018 or whenever the FCC shelved the planned 2030 AM radio termination, there were about 4200 actively broadcasting AM stations. Of those, less than 800 of them were solely broadcasting on AM, while the rest were simultaneously broadcasting on FM and many also via satellite or internet.

Come on you don't want to listen to little orphan Annie anymore? What a buzz kill 🤣😂🤣😂

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Thanks to all the AM whiners..... I've gotten accustomed to one less button push on my source button on my steering wheel. Now I'm going to have to relearn how to push a button one more time on my steering wheel not to mention it's going to shorten life of said button.

Sponsored

gern

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I’m right there with many of you ridiculing the idea of AM radio being a valuable entertainment source, I still support keeping AM radio in vehicles for _emergency purposes_. Think this is unneeded in this age of cell phones? Take a look at what happened in Paradise, CA during the fire that destroyed most of the town and killed nearly 100 people. The cell network was destroyed by the raging fire and was unable to send out emergency alerts, let alone support the idea of people looking up info on the internet. AM radio is more resilient in emergency situations than any other technological source of information due to its simplicity and ubiquity. A single AM radio broadcast tower (or maybe 2 or 3 for redundancy and backup) is much easier to provide power to, keep running, and protect than hundreds of smaller cell towers and the necessary backhaul they require. Do people need to be informed to tune to AM radio in the event of an emergency? Probably. But that’s a solvable issue when everyone already has an AM radio in the vehicle they are using to flee in.

(https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/camp-fire-anniversary-new-details-troubled-evacuation/)

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I guess nobody has actually read the article. Ford isn't re-instating AM radio's in their cars out of the goodness of their hearts. They are doing it because Congress is forcing them to.

It is considered a public safety issue as emergency alerts are broadcast on radio frequencies including AM.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

@p52Ranch beat me to the punch here, it's pretty obvious you didn't read the link. New legislation was introduced that will make it mandatory to include AM radio for emergency broadcasts. It hasn't passed yet, but Ford must've gotten word that it's likely to pass so they are making the best of it. The article points out several other automakers that this will effect (looking at you Tesla).
Sponsored