• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford sticking with Sync 4a for 2023?

bartlee

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Designer
The new build and price page still references Sync 4a and has no mention of Google or Android Auto. Maybe they’re not ready for prime time yet?
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
It appears that way. I'm pretty sure Ford would make the Android thing a BIG deal if it was happening for 2023.

EDIT: Its also not on the order guide..so I'm thinking its safe to assume no changes to android yet

Last edited:
OP
OP
bartlee

bartlee

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
It appears that way. I'm pretty sure Ford would make the Android thing a BIG deal if it was happening for 2023.
Agreed. My Lariat got built last week. The new infotainment system was going to be my one item of FOMO, so now I can wait a whole year to be jealous.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Also remember that "Android Auto" is different than the "Android Automotive" operating system. Ford could be replacing the QNX guts beneath SYNC and simply porting over its user interface and the user wouldn't see much difference (although it would make adding new capabilities much easier). QNX and Android Automotive are both POSIX operating systems, and so with a little work, 2023 might just be a "guts" change.

I really dislike SYNC and would love for them to introduce the full Android Auto UI experience, but not sure they're doing that yet.

Maybe Ford needs to wait for that one old curmudgeon QNX manager to retire before they can make it happen. :)

I noted in another thread that I simply couldn't find any articles about Ford's approach to Android Automotive, including what's changing and what's remaining the same. I'm happy to be wrong here - please! :)

OP
OP
bartlee

bartlee

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
Also remember that "Android Auto" is different than the "Android Automotive" operating system. Ford could be replacing the QNX guts beneath SYNC and simply porting over its user interface and the user wouldn't see much difference (although it would make adding new capabilities much easier). QNX and Android Automotive are both POSIX operating systems, and so with a little work, 2023 might just be a "guts" change.
Maybe I'm just assuming a wholesale UI change similar to what Polestar is using. That would be my hope, as I am not a big SYNC fan either. I couldn't find much substantive info on this either, but I think even the ability to use "robust third party apps" would be touted if the changes were all under the hood. Sounds like they aren't ready.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/f...ing-system-will-have-robust-third-party-apps/

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
] The new infotainment system was going to be my one item of FOMO
I came here to post the exact same thing. Hopefully this also means the 2022s will get more PowerUp feature oriented update than might have not happened if all effort was placed on the new system.
Sponsored