• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TXLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
After reading about this and hearing about the Bronco debacle, I have also placed a reservation for a Rivian. I would rather have a Ford, but I am going to need a truck at some point- can’t wait forever!
I also reserved a Rivian after hearing the 15k number.

I’d much prefer a 32k (after tax credit) Lightning Pro.

No way I’d ever spend 40k (assuming tax credits gone) on a 230 mile EV. So if to get to 300 miles you have to spend 60k (for an XLT) I’d rather have a Rivian for $63k (after tax credit).
Sponsored

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
I also reserved a Rivian after hearing the 15k number.

I’d much prefer a 32k (after tax credit) Lightning Pro.

No way I’d ever spend 40k (assuming tax credits gone) on a 230 mile EV. So if to get to 300 miles you have to spend 60k (for an XLT) I’d rather have a Rivian for $63k (after tax credit).
I understand this is a F-150 thread but people keep mentioning the Rivian so I’ll ask: what makes you confident that you’ll be getting it any faster than the Lightning? I wish I could sit in one and get a sense of leg/headroom and general spaciousness of the cabin—this is my #1 priority personally.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
I understand this is a F-150 thread but people keep mentioning the Rivian so I’ll ask: what makes you confident that you’ll be getting it any faster than the Lightning? I wish I could sit in one and get a sense of leg/headroom and general spaciousness of the cabin—this is my #1 priority personally.
From what I hear it's pretty good up front, a little small in the back.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-interior-review/

TXLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
If legroom / headroom is your #1 priority the Lighting will definitely fit that best!

For me personally, I’m not in a massive hurry, so not concerned about which I could get first. My calculus is more about the relative value of a vehicle, and it’s hard to beat a $7500 incentive. In fact without the tax credit an EV would be a harder sell in general.

That said, Ford only sold ~1500 Mach E’s in August, so maybe the tax credit will hold out longer than I’m thinking.

Last edited:

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I like the thought process here. Whatever fully electric vehicle coming down the pike that can fit my big butt and the family gets my money first. Having an EV just makes a lot of sense on several levels, but I’m not convinced the Rivian is any closer than anyone else (in the truck/full sized suv category)…or are they?
I'm thinking the same way however the problem is actually getting to sit in one any time soon... I had a first day Bronco reservation but would not order until I actually put but in chair. Fortunately I was able to sit in one (but not drive it) before the first order window closed and sadly learned that it was not comfortable for me.

I will however order a Lightning without sitting in one as it cannot be very different from any other F-150 and I fit very nicely in every MY2021 I have sat in.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I will however order a Lightning without sitting in one as it cannot be very different from any other F-150 and I fit very nicely in every MY2021 I have sat in.
Yes, the interior will be the same as the current truck. The exterior dimensions are the same too. The real difference is it is going to be faster and handle much better.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If legroom / headroom is your #1 priority the Lighting will definitely fit that best!

For me personally, I’m not in a massive hurry, so not concerned about which I could get first. My calculus is more about the relative value of a vehicle, and it’s hard to beat a $7500 incentive. In fact without the tax credit an EV would be a harder sell in general.

That said, Ford only sold ~1500 Mach E’s in August, so maybe the tax credit will hold out longer than I’m thinking.
Hmm.. Now you have me thinking. Ford has been diverting the majority of Mach-e production to Europe. I wonder if they are doing that to preserve the credit for the Lightning launch. Could also be why the F-150 hybrid is not a plug in hybrid.

Sponsored

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
I'm thinking the same way however the problem is actually getting to sit in one any time soon... I had a first day Bronco reservation but would not order until I actually put but in chair. Fortunately I was able to sit in one (but not drive it) before the first order window closed and sadly learned that it was not comfortable for me.

If you have sat in a late model F150, you have sat in the Lightning. The interior is almost exactly identical unless you get the 15.5" screen. Hopefully you can catch a Lightning Tour. You won't be disappointed as the truck is amazing!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I like the thought process here. Whatever fully electric vehicle coming down the pike that can fit my big butt and the family gets my money first. Having an EV just makes a lot of sense on several levels, but I’m not convinced the Rivian is any closer than anyone else (in the truck/full sized suv category)…or are they?
Rivian started earlier and even if they have one more delay, they will still be out before everyone else but I don’t think R1T going after F150 customers. I think of it more as a Jeep competitor. At this point you can’t get a Rivian at $40K which is the big edge Ford has. But Rivian is a real BEV that is not Jerry-Rigged which what I believe Ford is planning to build for 2016. since we know so little about the ownership date and customer experience with any of them in real world, it is wise to have reservation with any of them you consider a possibility for you. I have reservation with Cybertruck, Rivian and Lightning. Each of them have Pros and Cons and a sweet spot for my use case. At $40K Lightning, $50K CT2 and $70K R1S. CT may be too far in the future for my reservation spot but Rivian and Lightning will probably be close. If Ford wins the race, I will save $30K.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Rivian started earlier and even if they have one more delay, they will still be out before everyone else but I don’t think R1T going after F150 customers. I think of it more as a Jeep competitor. At this point you can’t get a Rivian at $40K which is the big edge Ford has. But Rivian is a real BEV that is not Jerry-Rigged which what I believe Ford is planning to build for 2016. since we know so little about the ownership date and customer experience with any of them in real world, it is wise to have reservation with any of them you consider a possibility for you. I have reservation with Cybertruck, Rivian and Lightning. Each of them have Pros and Cons and a sweet spot for my use case. At $40K Lightning, $50K CT2 and $70K R1S. CT may be too far in the future for my reservation spot but Rivian and Lightning will probably be close. If Ford wins the race, I will save $30K.
The low end Rivian looks very interesting to me and isn't really that much more from how I would spec a Lightning (potentially less if I talk myself into a Lariat). However, the smaller bed puts it right a the limit of what I need - to the point that I would probably need to try out fitting what I haul for the robotics team I coach to see if I can make it all fit with 4 people in cab. Besides that, I prefer many things (performance!) about the Rivian. If it was a $100 reservation like the lightning I would probably get in line. $1000 to put in an order is a little rich for my blood right now without being more sure that I want it or if I could get it sooner than a Lightning.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
The low end Rivian looks very interesting to me and isn't really that much more from how I would spec a Lightning (potentially less if I talk myself into a Lariat). However, the smaller bed puts it right a the limit of what I need - to the point that I would probably need to try out fitting what I haul for the robotics team I coach to see if I can make it all fit with 4 people in cab. Besides that, I prefer many things (performance!) about the Rivian. If it was a $100 reservation like the lightning I would probably get in line. $1000 to put in an order is a little rich for my blood right now without being more sure that I want it or if I could get it sooner than a Lightning.
Don't forget the lightning has a massive frunk that you can put things in as well. It is slightly larger than the trunk on a Toyota corolla but with a much bigger opening.
Sponsored