• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Full Size Spare - No Pressure Sensor?

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Had a blowout on a tire and had it swapped with the full size spare, but found the spare does not register. Is there no sensor on it or is there a process needed to have the vehicle see the spare?

I'm guessing there is no sensor on the spare based on its rim being a a cheaper item. No five-tire rotation for this vehicle. ;)
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Had a blowout on a tire and had it swapped with the full size spare, but found the spare does not register. Is there no sensor on it or is there a process needed to have the vehicle see the spare?

I'm guessing there is no sensor on the spare based on its rim being a a cheaper item. No five-tire rotation for this vehicle. ;)
There is no TPMS sensor in the spare, I would be surprised if you found ANY vehicle with one.

It is also a TEMPORARY spare, says so right on it.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Ford has never had TPMS sensors in the spare.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I swapped my limited use spare for a full sized spare using a matching Lariat wheel. I also added a TPMS device so that I would have a fully functional spare. I have no plans for a 5 tire rotation. I will just replace the tire when it is 6 years old even if it has never been used.

OP
OP
Calvin H-C

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
There is no TPMS sensor in the spare, I would be surprised if you found ANY vehicle with one.

It is also a TEMPORARY spare, says so right on it.
This all happened to my wife last night, and now in the light of day, I can see TEMPORARY on the tire.

Naturally, the dealership never made this clear, only saying it was a "real" tire and not a donut implying it was just like the rest. They also don't tell you the jack is not able to lift the vehicle, at least not safely. :confused:

Then there's the lousy roadside assistance, partly due to jurisdictional issues in our area, but took five hours our of her evening to get the tire swapped by another service that we now have to submit a $170 invoice to Ford for reimbursement. I'm wondering how many hours of my time that will cost.

We also intend to get the dealership to replace the tire as it only has 6300 km on it, and there was no "road hazard". Then there is this piece that needs fixing...
Ford F-150 Lightning Full Size Spare - No Pressure Sensor? 20230820_095329

Ford has never had TPMS sensors in the spare.
Doesn't surprise me. The last time I saw a vehicle that had a spare that was the same as the rest and they recommended a 5-tire rotation, TPMS sensors probably hadn't been thought of yet. ;)
Sponsored