• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire?

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I guess I'm spoiled by Honda. My 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid was the top-of-the-line Honda Accord for its day. It came with a full-size spare tire, the same as the mounted tires. It was never involved in tire rotation, but it was the same size everything and had the same tread as the mounted tires, so after replacing a flat, I could still drive at 70 mph+ if I had a flat out on an Interstate miles from civilization. I appreciate the pressure to economize on an item that one may never use (I never used my Honda spare in 16.5 years of ownership). But just having a "one-size-fits-all" spare? Not even having the same tread?

Thanks to @Amps for the 2022 order guide listing. But at least there, one can see the size of the rim for the spare is matched to that of the regular rims, and the implication of the listing is the same tire is on the spare as on the regular wheels. But my gripe is when you opt for the All-Season tire size (standard on the Lariat ER I ordered), they don't bother changing the specifications for what comes with your vehicle or even give you options for what kind of spare you get. In contrast, you can buy bed and floor trim, for example, six ways to Sunday. The lack of spare tire options is probably in the interests of "streamlining" manufacturing. Great!

Cut-and-paste listing of tire info from @Amps preceding post:

Ford F-150 Lightning Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire? 1685547587055

By contrast, I just started a (fake) order for a 2023 Lariat with the extended range battery. Here's what's STANDARD, the 20-inch All-Season tires (see Edit note):

Ford F-150 Lightning Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire? 1685548570786

So, Ford is just going to give me an 18-inch spare and rim with All-Terrain tread to go with that for $100K (counting sales tax and accessories I opted for)?! That's in the league of $800 per year for a Blue Cruise subscription! And nowhere in the order details (prior to placing the order) do I see a description of what I'm getting for a spare tire!

Edit_Update: Oops! My bad! The image captured actually says the All-Terrain tires are standard on a current 2023 Lariat ER order. But to make matters even more confusing and contradictory, here's what the tire detail on the order shows:

Ford F-150 Lightning Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire? 1685552296582

Since the wheels offered on my trial order just now are the Dark Carbonized Gray 20" Alloy Wheels, theoretically the build bot should offer the All-Season tires to go with the Dark Carbonized Gray Wheels. But instead, it offers me the All-Terrain. As Forrest Gump says, "Life is like a box of chocolates at Ford. You never know what you're going to pull out..." Maybe the "Included on XLT 312A and LARIAT...." is a poor choice of words and just means that the All-Season are an available option to choose?

To add to the box of chocolates scenario, if you look at the vehicle preview on the following PR page to induce a customer to place a Lariat order, here's what's previewed as STANDARD for 2023 Lariat tires (from 2023 Ford F-150® Lightning® Lariat Electric Truck | Model Details & Specs ):

Ford F-150 Lightning Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire? 1685553040037

Contradicts what shows up on the actual build details page...

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Thanks to @Amps for the 2022 order guide listing. But at least there, one can see the size of the rim for the spare is matched to that of the regular rims, and the implication of the listing is the same tire is on the spare as on the regular wheels. But my gripe is when you opt for the All-Season tire size (standard on the Lariat ER I ordered), they don't bother changing the specifications for what comes with your vehicle or even give you options for what kind of spare you get. In contrast, you can buy bed and floor trim, for example, six ways to Sunday. The lack of spare tire options is probably in the interests of "streamlining" manufacturing. Great!
Maybe I'm too easy. But many vehicles up to top end luxury brands have no spare tires these days. They have Goo and inflator kits. That would be unacceptable on a pickup, IMHO. Maverick comes with a standard dinky donut. But higher trim levels come with a standard sized spare and it is also available as an option for the dinky donut trims.

The Order Guide starts with the Standard equipment and shows only the equipment that changes by trim level and option packages. That's why I put, "All trims standard equipment." The wheels and tires (may) change from Pro to XLT to Lariat to Platinum, but only the changes/deltas from Standard equipment are listed. There is no further listing of spare tires, so you get the standard equipment 18" spare for all trim levels. The difference in the overall size of the wheel and tire is 1.25" circumference. Run the sizes on the wheel and tire calculator if you don't believe it.

Order Guides:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...htning-order-guide-released-u-s-canada.11635/

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
When using the spare you are limited to 70 mph per the owner's manual.

I had the spare on my truck for a week while a wheel was being repaired. I drive on the highway to and from work; I found the speed limit to be slightly annoying, certainly nothing to get worked up about.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Negative. The factory spare is mounted on an alloy wheel (that is the wrong size) and the tire is a limited use spare. I has to buy a matching Lariat wheel - actually bought a set of four take offs for less than one new one.
Do you have any left you want to sell? I am interested in purchasing an extra Lariat wheel as a spare.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
On the limitations of driving with a dissimilar spare tire, here's what the manual says in detail (p.473 of the following link: Untitled (fordservicecontent.com) ):

Using a full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly can lead to impairment of the following:
• Handling, stability and braking performance.​
• Comfort and noise.​
• Ground clearance and parking at curbs.​
• Winter weather driving capability.​
• Wet weather driving capability.​
• Four-wheel drive capability.​
When driving with the full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly additional caution should be given to:
• Towing a trailer.​
• Driving vehicles equipped with a camper body.​
• Driving vehicles with a load on the cargo rack. Drive cautiously when using a full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly and seek service as soon as possible.​
Love the Ford language that we have "a full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly." Full-size dissimilar and rather fully dysfunctional compared to a normal tire.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Do you have any left you want to sell? I am interested in purchasing an extra Lariat wheel as a spare.
I kept one in case I messed up one of my other wheels. The others were exchanged with the dealer as part of a barter to get the tire, TPMS and mounting and balancing for at no additional cost to me.

Let me think about it and I will PM you one way or the other. If you don’t hear from me, feel free to PM me as well as I’ve probably just gotten busy.

OP
OP

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales

2sleep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue, 2008 Prius
Occupation
Retired
On page 476 of the 2023 Lariat owners manual it states to insert your key into the cylinder lock to remove it from the tunnel.... I found the key in my glove box and had no idea what it was for other than it fit the door lock. I checked and also no lock in the place where you insert the jack rod to lower the tire on my 23 Lariat ER.
I will most likely never take this truck off the pavement so I would be looking for a replacement tire that has low rolling resistance, good dry and wet grip, at least decent snow traction and a reasonable tread wear warranty. I only have 7500 miles on these OME tires but trying to think ahead.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
On page 476 of the 2023 Lariat owners manual it states to insert your key into the cylinder lock to remove it from the tunnel.... I found the key in my glove box and had no idea what it was for other than it fit the door lock. I checked and also no lock in the place where you insert the jack rod to lower the tire on my 23 Lariat ER.
I will most likely never take this truck off the pavement so I would be looking for a replacement tire that has low rolling resistance, good dry and wet grip, at least decent snow traction and a reasonable tread wear warranty. I only have 7500 miles on these OME tires but trying to think ahead.
Spare tire lock was deprecated for 23 models.

IBeTheBot

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
IT Management
Is the factory spare on a standard wheel or will another Lightning wheel be required?
I have an extra wheel I am willing to part ways with if you are interested. 20" wheel with 8k miles on the tires. I believe the factory spare is not a 20" wheel. If that's what you had.

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
I just thought of something/had a realization - for those of us with oversized tires, does that mean we're SOL if 1 tire goes flat?

In that case, is it even worth keeping the spare there, since we can't use it if we ever needed to?
Sponsored