• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Where can you buy a full size matching spare?

drdirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Now that my Lariat has a flat I realized the the spare tire is not the same as my factory tires and rims. There are a number of comments on this and while it is a functional more or less full size tire I would like to replace the spare wheel and tire with a matching full size wheel and tire. Has anybody done this and is there a good source where to buy just a single wheel and tire that matched my factory configuration ?
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Here's a Lariat wheel I found on eBay. What exactly are you looking for? And why? Just curious.

Edit: I reread your post and realize you have a Lariat so the eBay one might be an option. You could get whatever tire you want locally. Same for TPMS sensor.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Now that my Lariat has a flat I realized the the spare tire is not the same as my factory tires and rims. There are a number of comments on this and while it is a functional more or less full size tire I would like to replace the spare wheel and tire with a matching full size wheel and tire. Has anybody done this and is there a good source where to buy just a single wheel and tire that matched my factory configuration ?
You should think long and hard about this. 5-way rotations are a thing of the long ago past. Having a similar-sized regular tire was something Ford went to a long time ago, yet a different tire and wheel. Now many have a temporary spare that is a similar size.

You'll spend a good $300 - $400 to get what you are seeking.

Also remember that Ford's Roadside Assistance is free, and they'll do the swapping for you if you want.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I bought a set of four wheels on here for less than the cost of one wheel at the dealership. I sold one wheel to a gentleman who live 2 miles from me and bartered the other 2 with my Ford dealer for a matching tire, TPMS transmitter and mounting and balancing. And, I still have the spare tire because they did not want it.

If there is not a wheel on this site, I would seriously consider the wheel on eBay. The TPMS transmitter can come from the dealer. Many dealers will price match, so I would consider getting the tire there. Also, the dealer is in the best position to get the matching tire, especially if it is the all season which is 116T rated since thenGeneral tires were difficult to get. Ford is now using Good Year f8r that application.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's a Lariat wheel I found on eBay. What exactly are you looking for? And why? Just curious.

Edit: I reread your post and realize you have a Lariat so the eBay one might be an option. You could get whatever tire you want locally. Same for TPMS sensor.
Why? So we don’t have a speed or distance restriction if there is a flat - especially if traveling in a remote area.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Why? So we don’t have a speed or distance restriction if there is a flat - especially if traveling in a remote area.
Seems like a lot of cost and hassle to be able to drive more than 70 mph and 2,000 miles.🤷

This is coming from someone who owns two full sets of wheels and tires though so maybe I'm not one to discuss cost and hassle.🤣

When driving with the full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly, do not:
• Exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
• Use more than one dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly at a time.
• Use snow chains on the end of the vehicle with the dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly.
• Repair a damaged dissimilar spare tire. Replace a dissimilar spare tire that is damaged.
• Drive extended distances with a dissimilar spare. Tread life is limited to approximately 2,000 mi (3,219 km). • Use commercial car wash equipment.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems like a lot of cost and hassle to be able to drive more than 70 mph and 2,000 miles.🤷

This is coming from someone who owns two full sets of wheels and tires though so maybe I'm not one to discuss cost and hassle.🤣
Driving on I-95 and I-81 or the Capital Beltway in Virginia at 50 mph is not safe.

How do I know? It’s scary enough going 55 or 60 mph.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Driving on I-95 and I-81 or the Capital Beltway in Virginia at 50 mph is not safe.

How do I know? It’s scary enough going 55 or 60 mph.
The spare tire limit is 70mph/2,000 miles.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The spare tire limit is 70mph/2,000 miles.
This is from Page 472 of my owners manual:

When driving with the full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly, it is recommended that you do not:
• Exceed 50 mph (80 km/h) in four-wheel drive.

Out of an abundance of caution, I am treating AWD and 4WD the same fir purposes of recommendations.

The 2,000 miles - yeah, I missed that detail. But for me, it’s the speed limit- especially if I am in the middle of nowhere. Also, for inclement weather (especially snow and ice), I’d rather have a the same sized full function tire than a dissimilar spare.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
A full size spare and rim is unnecessary in 99.99% of use cases.

The last time I owned a vehicle with one was a 2002 land rover disco 2. I got a flat, the special safety lock lugnut tool broke and I had to flatbed the truck anyway. I haven't needed one since then, tires are just way better now that flats are uncommon. Today, with tpms, you just need an inflator to get you home. You can still get a flat these days but the donut will get you home.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Out of an abundance of caution, I am treating AWD and 4WD the same fir purposes of recommendations.
You can do that but the AWD system on the Lightning is functionally two separate two-wheel-drive systems. The differential on each axle allows different size tires to spin at different speeds. The same thing happens every time you go around a corner.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
A full size spare and rim is unnecessary in 99.99% of use cases.
AGREED!!

Heck! I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a flat or had to change a tire. You have to admit tires have come a long LONG way. In the 70’s (yeah, I’m dating myself) you had change them all the time. Like every road trip

Now a days, all you get is a slow leak and need to get it patched or replaced, but it never seems to really go flat. 1st World problems, I guess.
Sponsored

Last edited: