• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire?

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
So I had to buy two new tires for the driver side of the truck (front and rear). The rear was repaired but front not salvageable. This will leave me with an extra full size tire. Looked in owners manual but cannot find answer - can this full sized tire (10,000 miles) be stored under the truck in lieu of the spare provided by Ford that came with the truck?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes. Unless you had oversized tires.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Is the factory spare on a standard wheel or will another Lightning wheel be required?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the factory spare on a standard wheel or will another Lightning wheel be required?
factory spare is on a steel wheel

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
factory spare is on a steel wheel
Negative. The factory spare is mounted on an alloy wheel (that is the wrong size) and the tire is a limited use spare. I has to buy a matching Lariat wheel - actually bought a set of four take offs for less than one new one.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Yeah. I just discovered the dissimilarity today. I thought the Lariat had a "full-size" spare tire. That was the glow I read in initial press releases about the Lightning, IIRC. It was going to come with a full-size spare. My tires are 275/60R20 BSW ALL-SEASON, whereas the spare, as pointed out, is a 265/70/18 A/T BSW. I asked a Ford chat rep about the mismatch today, and she replied straight out of the manual on Ford's recommendation.

Vanessa: I appreciate your patience! Here are the specifications for the spare tire on your truck: 265/70/18 A/T BSW. With that being said this would be considered a dissimilar spare wheel and tire. Your Owner's Manual state the following on page 473: " If you have a dissimilar spare wheel and
tire, then it is intended for temporary use only. This means that if you need to use it, you should replace it as soon as possible
with a road wheel and tire assembly that is the same size and type as the road tires and wheels that were originally provided by Ford." Here is a copy of your Owner's Manual for your review: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2023_Ford_F-150_Lightning_Owners_Manual_version_1.1_om_EN-US.pdf
Too bad on a $100K vehicle that @Ford Motor Company can't provide a real full-size spare time that matches the mounted tires and does not inconvenience the owner with the limits on a dissimilar tire relative to the vehicle's speed, performance, and safety. My reaction is the same as when I discovered that FMC, with very little warning to 2023 buyers, removed the spare tire lock from 2023 builds. I don't even think that item is listed anymore on Ford Parts (accessories.ford.com). My dealer rep said the spare tire lock removal was probably done because there was very little demand for a spare tire lock (who wants to steal a temporary spare and rim!?). Ford offers lots of options I don't want. I wish they would offer at least as options the things that I do want - a full-size spare tire that matches the mounted tires and a spare tire lock. As it is, we're paying doubly for a spare we don't want and then a truly functional tire and rim to replace it! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I thought the Lariat had a "full-size" spare tire.
The 2022 Lightning order guide only referred to the "Spare Wheel - 18" Aluminum #2" as standard equipment for all trims. It does list the Spare Tire/Wheel Lock, which is on the truck I received. Maybe check the 2023 order guide to see what it included at the time you ordered your truck. A tire calculator shows the spare as very close, but not quite as 'full-size' as the 20" A/S, a 1.25" circumference difference.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

2022 All Trims Standard Equipment:
Ford F-150 Lightning Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire? Std Eq

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On ICE F-150s, Ford had long provided a different sized wheel/tire on a plain wheel, one with almost the same circumference. Don't follow the latest ICE F-150 forums to know if they also switched to a temp tire, but regardless they always recommended limited use. 5 way rotations went away with hubcaps...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
On ICE F-150s, Ford had long provided a different sized wheel/tire on a plain wheel, one with almost the same circumference. Don't follow the latest ICE F-150 forums to know if they also switched to a temp tire, but regardless they always recommended limited use. 5 way rotations went away with hubcaps...
I don’t know when the switch was made, but my 17 XLT had a full-sized spare. I punctured a sidewall and had the tire shop re-mount my spare on the alloy wheel. They patched the sidewall puncture (not supposed to do) and mounted it on the steel spare wheel. From that point, I had a “temporary” spare, even though it was the same tire (other than the repair) as I had on the ground.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t know when the switch was made, but my 17 XLT had a full-sized spare. I punctured a sidewall and had the tire shop re-mount my spare on the alloy wheel. They patched the sidewall puncture (not supposed to do) and mounted it on the steel spare wheel. From that point, I had a “temporary” spare, even though it was the same tire (other than the repair) as I had on the ground.
For some ICE F-150s, they had the same tire on the steel wheel. For other sizes, they had approximately same size tire on a smaller steel wheel, so you could use it "temporarily". Like I said, I stopped following the new F-150 threads since I wasn't buying one, and mine was a 2013.

I can't remember the last time I was able to do a 5-way rotation though. Long, long time ago.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For some ICE F-150s, they had the same tire on the steel wheel. For other sizes, they had approximately same size tire on a smaller steel wheel, so you could use it "temporarily". Like I said, I stopped following the new F-150 threads since I wasn't buying one, and mine was a 2013.

I can't remember the last time I was able to do a 5-way rotation though. Long, long time ago.
My last 5-way was my 1988 F250.