• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Gloss Black powdercoat OEM Lariat wheels looks fantastic!

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Ford F-150 Lightning Gloss Black powdercoat OEM Lariat wheels looks fantastic! IMG_1053

Ford F-150 Lightning Gloss Black powdercoat OEM Lariat wheels looks fantastic! IMG_1052

Gloss Black powdercoated OEM Lariat wheels look fantastic!

I hated the stock grey of the OEM Lariat wheels. Gloss black powdercoat is tougher and looks great in pictures, even better in person. Just had them mounted to brand new Michelin Defender LTX Platinum LT265/60R20s. *Very* quiet and smooth tire!

Now I have to decide whether to sell this new set as a package or keep them on the truck!

(PS I love how different the Azure Grey Metallic looks under different light. These pic were taken minutes of each other)
Sponsored

AI_Speed

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
I always had Michelin Defenders on my Escalade - so the ride feels a lot smoother/quieter than the tires that came on the new truck? Yes to that grey color - reflects bluish.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I always had Michelin Defenders on my Escalade - so the ride feels a lot smoother/quieter than the tires that came on the new truck? Yes to that grey color - reflects bluish.
Much more so. Even my wife noticed. The stock tires were ok at first but after 20k miles they are relatively loud, almost as loud as my Tesla tires.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1052.jpeg

I hated the stock grey of the OEM Lariat wheels. Gloss black powdercoat is tougher and looks great in pictures, even better in person. Just had them mounted to brand new Michelin Defender LTX Platinum LT265/60R20s. *Very* quiet and smooth tire!

Now I have to decide whether to sell this new set as a package or keep them on the truck!

(PS I love how different the Azure Grey Metallic looks under different light. These pic were taken minutes of each other)
Nice looking wheels.

Keep us updated on any efficiency hits you take with those tires. I'm sure a lot of us, me included, will need new tires coming up.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice looking wheels.

Keep us updated on any efficiency hits you take with those tires. I'm sure a lot of us, me included, will need new tires coming up.
Oh I doubt very much that there will be an efficiency hit, if anything they'll be more efficient. They are very quiet and very comfortable. They are low rolling resistance and design for heavy duty light trucks in the weight range of the lightning., EV qualified

Sponsored

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
I was thinking of dipping my Lariat wheels gloss black. After seeing yours I might have to do it soon.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was thinking of dipping my Lariat wheels gloss black. After seeing yours I might have to do it soon.
I have zero regrets, believe it or not it actually *accentuates* the curves and flat areas of the wheel and makes it more dynamic looking. That color gray just made it look like a bleh disk and I hated at the moment I saw it. "Brake dust" should never be the color of a wheel from the factory.

If you choose to make your grill gloss black, the best way to do that is to just have it vinyl wrapped. It lasts forever, is removable, and matches the wheels perfectly. It was also cheap, 160 bucks.

I now have a lariat ER that has a gloss black grill and gloss black wheels and I'm telling man it looks gorgeous. Got three compliments just going to UPS today.

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Did you have you grill wrapped and if so can you post a pic of it?

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
On another note....How does that Icon suspension setup ride?

Sponsored
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On another note....How does that Icon suspension setup ride?
shockingly good! It does not ride as a semi – lowered truck at all. The slop and floating feeling is completely gone. It handles bumps very well and is absolutely flat around corners.

Although the suspension has less travel, the computer/app adjust to road conditions very quickly (thousand times a second?) The rear suspension is very very close to the bump stop and I did not even lower it the full 4 inches or so. I may end up lifting it another half inch or so. Icon recommends 1 inch of thread showing.

The replacement bump stop they have are very good. If you do happen to bottom out, there's no shock or jolt because the suspension handles it so well. overall it rides tighter, smoother with less cushion feel. It really shines around curves though, no more worrying body lean.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1052.jpeg

I always liked the look of the Lariat wheels except for the color. What you did is exactly what the doctor ordered. Damn I might just sell my after market wheels and do what you did. Super jealous of the Azure Grey as well.

Is there a reason you went with 265 width tires instead of 275 (same as stock)?

And did you lower the rear? Looks like much less rake than usual. I need to copy this...

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I always liked the look of the Lariat wheels except for the color. What you did is exactly what the doctor ordered. Damn I might just sell my after market wheels and do what you did. Super jealous of the Azure Grey as well.

And did you lower the rear? Looks like much less rake than usual. I need to copy this...
Check out how good it looks with black lug nuts.
Agree, I think the wheels look great and set the Lightning apart. Hated the color but gloss black is perfect.
Shame they discontinued AGM!

the truck is lowered 2" in front and 3" in rear using the ICON full kit with camber adjusters. It's great. $$$$ though.

Ford F-150 Lightning Gloss Black powdercoat OEM Lariat wheels looks fantastic! IMG_1123

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

The reason for the tires is because I really wanted this model, they're very quiet and efficient and have really high reviews. It's the latest heavy duty light truck tire that's also EV qualified. They didn't have the exact stock size so I could go smaller or bigger and I chose to go smaller. Since I was lowering the truck I didn't necessarily want a bunch of meat in the wheel well. There's no rubbing.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
shockingly good! It does not ride as a semi – lowered truck at all. The slop and floating feeling is completely gone. It handles bumps very well and is absolutely flat around corners.

Although the suspension has less travel, the computer/app adjust to road conditions very quickly (thousand times a second?) The rear suspension is very very close to the bump stop and I did not even lower it the full 4 inches or so. I may end up lifting it another half inch or so. Icon recommends 1 inch of thread showing.

The replacement bump stop they have are very good. If you do happen to bottom out, there's no shock or jolt because the suspension handles it so well. overall it rides tighter, smoother with less cushion feel. It really shines around curves though, no more worrying body lean.
I've dropped mine a couple of different ways so far, eibach springs...stock springs with lowering struts...It just doesn't ride as good as stock in any of the ways I have tried. The sweet spot seems to be lowering the back by about 1"-1.5" because any lower and your in bumpstop territory either on the LCA's or on the strut itself. There's just not a whole lot of travel back there for much anything. The Icon set is not for me, but I'm gonna try one more thing before I give up to drop the back down a little bit.
Sponsored