• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help with dimensions

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Did a quick search and didn’t see. But can anyone let us know how much vertical clearance there is in the frunk? Hoping my large electric cooler can fit in there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thank you again for those that did some measuring and offered information. All I can say is, it is a tight fit.

I did have to remove the bottom shelf, with the shelf being 3" tall, the 30" deep was too much, I was still about 6 inches short of pulling in. So the bottom shelf had to come out and what was the 3rd shelf up even had to be raised another 4 inches.

I am pulled in and touching the sheetrock and have about 3, maybe 4 inches behind the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions IMG_1638
Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions IMG_1637
Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions IMG_5382

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Thank you again for those that did some measuring and offered information. All I can say is, it is a tight fit.

I did have to remove the bottom shelf, with the shelf being 3" tall, the 30" deep was too much, I was still about 6 inches short of pulling in. So the bottom shelf had to come out and what was the 3rd shelf up even had to be raised another 4 inches.

I am pulled in and touching the sheetrock and have about 3, maybe 4 inches behind the truck.

IMG_1638.jpeg
IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_5382.jpeg
@GDN Not hijacking your thread, but had to share my garage pic, we have a different color scheme 😂
Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions FBDE4817-17DB-4264-B04E-59DC4504DCCC

It’s a tight squeeze as well. I like your Tesla charger cable suspension system 🙌

• Love
Reactions: GDN

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I went to my local dealer and they let me take an ICE F-150 home to see how it fit in my garage. I had measurements, but seeing the fit in person was much more helpful. I'd highly recommend this approach, it really helped me visualize where I wanted my charger to be located.

Regarding GDN's fit, that's the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Within a week I'd destroy my truck or garage if I was that tight.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
@GDN Not hijacking your thread, but had to share my garage pic, we have a different color scheme 😂
FBDE4817-17DB-4264-B04E-59DC4504DCCC.jpeg

It’s a tight squeeze as well. I like your Tesla charger cable suspension system 🙌
I love a pic like this and just have to note those are two great vehicles, both for different reasons. In my opinion, the Tesla wins hands down for software, tech, interface user experience. The Ford wins with fit and finish and quietness and COOLED seats! It is a well made truck. The ride is almost too soft coming from a Model 3, but they are both great and I hope they all continue to improve and innovate.

I'm just a big jealous of that red underline on the Tesla too !

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I went to my local dealer and they let me take an ICE F-150 home to see how it fit in my garage. I had measurements, but seeing the fit in person was much more helpful. I'd highly recommend this approach, it really helped me visualize where I wanted my charger to be located.

Regarding GDN's fit, that's the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Within a week I'd destroy my truck or garage if I was that tight.
Let me say - it is a bit terrifying. I'll get used to it, I parked a truck in there for years before the shelf. It is tight. I'm maximizing every inch of that 20 by 20.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I created a floating shelf in my garage when I had a 2011 f150. Fence in the yard was taken down so that the boat could be parked in the back. Didn't like the fence that much anyway. Used a section of fence as the shelf, suspended from the ceiling joists. This was only a problem once when the battery went dead and I could not get the hood opened due to the low overhead clearance. Volvo is parked there now. The truck will need to pull almost to the wall. At least I have until probably early to mid October 😞 to finish clearing out the space under the shelf.
Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions IMG_20220716_132824830
Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions IMG_20220716_132841638

• Love
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I created a floating shelf in my garage when I had a 2011 f150. Fence in the yard was taken down so that the boat could be parked in the back. Didn't like the fence that much anyway. Used a section of fence as the shelf, suspended from the ceiling joists. This was only a problem once when the battery went dead and I could not get the hood opened due to the low overhead clearance. Volvo is parked there now. The truck will need to pull almost to the wall. At least I have until probably early to mid October 😞 to finish clearing out the space under the shelf.
IMG_20220716_132824830.jpg
IMG_20220716_132841638.jpg
Well God help me if my battery goes dead with it sitting there because it is just going to have to be drug out backwards! I truly hadn't thought about that and I usually try to think through those things. However storage wins out over that anyway. Just no other way to do it.

By the way - Walmart is one of my first stops today for pool noodles. I can slice them open and fit around the bottom of that shelf. I cringe to think about the frunk getting opened by accident while it is in there. Or the tailgate for that matter.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My f150 fit under there with a couple inches to spare. At least it could be shifted into neutral and pushed backwards few feet. As you can see from my picture, storage is at a premium bikes, snowshoes, roof box are all visible. There are bikes, and paddle boards stored above and around the other car.
Does your charge cable reach the ford plug easily? Right now I have my evse on the passenger side of the xc90 run through hooks on the ceiling and down to the front left. It can be unhooked and reach outside under the garage door to a car parked inline or to the right of the garage. We will have three plug in cars and managing the charging so that it not only reaches, but is convenient to use will be more complicated. In our two car garage the bays are parallel, but are at different depths (second bay was added after the first) so evse placement is not as simple. Google maps picture is 10 or 11 years old but it gives you an idea of the garage layout. 3rd car parks too the right of the garages so that they are still accessible.

Ford F-150 Lightning Help with dimensions Screenshot_20220716-135420

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
My f150 fit under there with a couple inches to spare. At least it could be shifted into neutral and pushed backwards few feet. As you can see from my picture, storage is at a premium bikes, snowshoes, roof box are all visible. There are bikes, and paddle boards stored above and around the other car.
Does your charge cable reach the ford plug easily? Right now I have my evse on the passenger side of the xc90 run through hooks on the ceiling and down to the front left. It can be unhooked and reach outside under the garage door to a car parked inline or to the right of the garage. We will have three plug in cars and managing the charging so that it not only reaches, but is convenient to use will be more complicated. In our two car garage the bays are parallel, but are at different depths (second bay was added after the first) so evse placement is not as simple. Google maps picture is 10 or 11 years old but it gives you an idea of the garage layout. 3rd car parks too the right of the garages so that they are still accessible.

Screenshot_20220716-135420.png
Very nice - I'd love to have a little more garage room. My electrical set up is truly perfect. My panel is in the garage on the left wall just about the same location as the front tire of the truck..

On that same wall near the back we put a 14-50 plug in when we got the first Tesla and added a Tesla Wall Charger (60 amp breaker) when we added the second one.

Until my Charge Station Pro gets here I'm using the 14-50 for the truck and the Tesla uses the Wall Charger. When the CSP gets here I'll remove the Tesla Wall charger and hard wire the Ford charger to get more juice for the truck and we'll switch the Tesla back to a Mobil connector on the 14-50 plug.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very nice - I'd love to have a little more garage room. My electrical set up is truly perfect. My panel is in the garage on the left wall just about the same location as the front tire of the truck..

On that same wall near the back we put a 14-50 plug in when we got the first Tesla and added a Tesla Wall Charger (60 amp breaker) when we added the second one.

Until my Charge Station Pro gets here I'm using the 14-50 for the truck and the Tesla uses the Wall Charger. When the CSP gets here I'll remove the Tesla Wall charger and hard wire the Ford charger to get more juice for the truck and we'll switch the Tesla back to a Mobil connector on the 14-50 plug.
We are getting solar panels installed this summer, along with a service upgrade to 200amps and Powerwall backup (the truck won't always be home for backup purposes, the his is expensive and only works with the lightning, the utility will give us a discount if they can pull power from our battery during peak demand times, and my wife wants backup power if the grid fails and if the grid fails grid tied solar does you no good). The current panel is in the basement within about 10 feet of the front left corner of the garage. Actual electric service gets to the property on the right side of the garage outside (see nast coming through garage roof). The new main panel will be in the garage just opposite the meter and it will feed the original panel in the basement. I will add the fcsp to the right garage bay, along with the two hardwired 30 amp EVSEs that will get moved to the panel in the garage. Our utility company provided the EVSEs and we get a discount (about 4.5 cents per kWh) when charging not between 1pm and 9pm M-F.

• Love

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I love a pic like this and just have to note those are two great vehicles, both for different reasons. In my opinion, the Tesla wins hands down for software, tech, interface user experience. The Ford wins with fit and finish and quietness and COOLED seats! It is a well made truck. The ride is almost too soft coming from a Model 3, but they are both great and I hope they all continue to improve and innovate.

I'm just a big jealous of that red underline on the Tesla too !
I had cooled seats in my 2011 Lariat. Greatest feature ever 🥶
Sponsored