• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How To Turn Off The Rear Camera View at Highway Driving Speeds?!

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if this has been covered in another thread. In the past, back in May 2023, when I tried the rear camera view while driving at highway speed, it would turn off after a minute or two, so I thought it useless in highway driving situations.

Last night, while highway driving at Interstate speeds, I turned it on. I had a great rear view with no obstructions, but I couldn't figure out how to turn off the rear camera view while driving. There was only the camera views hamburger menu in the left middle of the screen and a button that looked to be labeled "pA" down in the lower right (and turning that off and on did nothing to cancel the rear camera view). Only when I got off the Interstate and came to a stop did the rear camera view go off. If I turned on the rear camera view at low speeds, a big X in a filled circle showed up in the upper right of my screen to turn off the camera view. No such CANCEL circle was on the Sync screen when driving at highway speeds.

The reason I wanted to turn off the rear camera view was to get back to the Apple CarPlay view of Waze and my routing, etc. No could do. Overall, I thought the rear camera highway driving view was very helpful because, in one glance at the Sync screen, I could get an idea of what was approaching in both left and right side blind spots rather than first having to look to the left, then to the right, etc. The main problem was the rear camera view seemed delayed compared to what was happening in real-time. In my side mirrors, I could see vehicles already pulling alongside in my blind spots, but then, looking at the Sync screen rear view, I would see the vehicles that in reality were already beside me just pulling out in the video display of the big headlight glare in the center screen rear view and pulling up alongside my truck bed. I wasn't too bothered by the delay as I learned to realize that what I saw coming in my rear view was already beside me, and if I didn't see them pulling ahead of me, I had to be sure to check my side view mirrors and blind spot warning lights to see if they were still there before I changed lanes, etc. I liked the rear camera view, especially its persistence (if only I could turn it off when I wanted!) but maybe I'm just deceiving myself as to how much the rear camera view improved my sense of what's behind me and pulling alongside me.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Last edited:

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I have the same bug now. I found that I can hit the |P| button and that generates a message, which then gets me out of the cameras at speed.

Finally, that button is getting some use!!

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
Good to know about the workaround, because I have this bug as well. I had some FDRS updates I did yesterday, but it didn't fix the issue unfortunately.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I think Camera views is a subset of Sync4 that Ford really could improve with future software updates - the ability to direct the various cams to a picture-in-picture view on the main screen (12.5“ or 15”) or even in the instrument panel/binnacle screen would be a great enhancement. Not sure what the capabilities of the CPU/GPU have in the current iteration of the Lightning so they may be HW constrained at this time - but I hope not.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Yep this was a bug introduced in one of the last updates. 6.3.0 I think. If you slow to about 5 mph, the X will re-appear.

Edit: yep 6.3.0 https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...lease-suspended-due-to-bugs.17045/post-343974
Also turns off auto fold mirrors.
What’s interesting is that there are several different bugs that are all presenting differently - with 6.3.0 I had no loss of auto fold or the camera close button - but I did lose my Ford voice assistant and Ford voice turn by turn directions in the native navigation, and Alexa.
Sponsored