• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HVB SOC and HVB Energy vs. HVB SOC Display

rv7pilot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Process Control Engineer
This seems odd to me. Why would the HVB SOC and HVB Energy pretty much match for a 98 kwh battery but the HVB SOC percentage displayed does not match?

Ford F-150 Lightning HVB SOC and HVB Energy vs. HVB SOC Display screenshot
Sponsored

Last edited:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
HVB percent is the percent charge level of the actual battery. HVB display is what the truck will display. There is a buffer (I think the battery is actually 110ish kWh) so that absolute soc is different than displayed soc. I do not know if energy actually goes to zero and don't plan on finding out with mine. As for energy vs soc absolute vs display I am not sure.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The screenshot for my SR. My SOH is 98.5 and note the battery temp.

Ford F-150 Lightning HVB SOC and HVB Energy vs. HVB SOC Display Soc_20240229_073921

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
The SOC display is designed to a different curve than the actual SOC. What the exact reason for this is, is unclear to me, but that's how it's set up.

At 90% displayed, the actual SOC is usually around 85%.

Now I've never had my truck low enough to test it, but I think on the low end of SOC curve, the displayed SOC might actually read lower than real SOC.

If I had to guess, it's likely to keep owners charging and discharging their vehicles within healthier and more favorable actual SOC ranges.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Now I've never had my truck low enough to test it, but I think on the low end of SOC curve, the displayed SOC might actually read lower than real SOC.
If I remember correctly the "pivot point" is 40% SoC, and the "difference" it's gradual.

Ford F-150 Lightning HVB SOC and HVB Energy vs. HVB SOC Display 1710147599160

(not a scientifically accurate depiction, but you get the gist of it)

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
HVB percent is the percent charge level of the actual battery. HVB display is what the truck will display. There is a buffer (I think the battery is actually 110ish kWh) so that absolute soc is different than displayed soc. I do not know if energy actually goes to zero and don't plan on finding out with mine. As for energy vs soc absolute vs display I am not sure.
Actually - does anyone know of a document anywhere for all these variables that are exposed in the OBD software? Some of them are quite clear but others - not so much - so wanted to know if there was any documentation that would help.
Sponsored