• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I have a Blink mini pan/tilt camera and don't know how to set the truck hotspot up?

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
A good Sunday to you fine folks. I have a Blink mini pan and tilt camera that can plug into USB or 120v and needs a WiFi network to operate (so you can't just stream to a phone like I thought I could when I bought it, oops). If I am not mistaken, the truck has a WiFi hotspot. Can anyone here tell me what I need to do to get the cam and phone on the truck's network so I can stream live view of my dogs in the bed (can't see into the bed well with the canopy). Thanks in advance,
-Zap
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Do you want to use this while driving or while the truck is sitting idle?

First - the hotspot is an add on. You have to pay ATT for it. Second, even if you do, it won't be active while the truck is parked and off.

You're better off connecting it to your phone hotspot if you have one for connectivity while driving.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
The trucks hotspot is "powered" by AT&T so you'll need a subscription / plan for it, which is separate from your phone / everything else.

The sh-tty part is that the trucks own streaming services - news, music etc. is not using this plan, nor will you be able to use it if you're using wireless android auto / apple play.
it is strictly for "external" devices (basically your kids tablets)/

So - you'll have to use a travel router ($40 on amazon) to get around those issues - or - simply set up your phone to be a hotspot (though wireless Android Auto / Apple Play still won't work).

Either solution won't work / stay active once you shut off the truck / walk away from it,.

As far as the vehicle hotspot settings goes it's under settings >> connectivity >> hotspot

OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Thanks for the replies. I want to use this while driving, to monitor my dogs in the bed (under a SmartCap, which has a small window that the bed cam looks into, but it's not a full view. I guess I will just set it up on my phone, for some reason I was thinking that onboard WiFi was included, like BlueCruise for a limited time period and pay to play after. I'm sure my phone will do it, that's probably the best solution. Thanks for helping me out :)

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the replies. I want to use this while driving, to monitor my dogs in the bed (under a SmartCap, which has a small window that the bed cam looks into, but it's not a full view. I guess I will just set it up on my phone, for some reason I was thinking that onboard WiFi was included, like BlueCruise for a limited time period and pay to play after. I'm sure my phone will do it, that's probably the best solution. Thanks for helping me out :)
if you want to go all in on a Ford solution, you could look at their trailer cameras. I've just read about them, but I think you can add a camera remotely to the back of a trailer and possibly view on the screen. You could put it in the camper shell.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
if you want to go all in on a Ford solution, you could look at their trailer cameras. I've just read about them, but I think you can add a camera remotely to the back of a trailer and possibly view on the screen. You could put it in the camper shell.
Oooh, that's a great idea. I do seem to recall that it's a rather expensive addon (like $1k when this Blink cam was $40 brand new with pan and tilt) but that would definitely be an option.
Thanks again!

FreshDaddyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
For what it's worth, I just hooked up a Rove R3 dashcam (which we have been using in our Explorer for some time) in the Lightning this weekend. It has a rear-facing camera which I attached to the back glass and gives an excellent view of the bed which can be operational while driving.

Plus forward and cabin views with recording! Bonus!

Amazon.com: ROVE R3 Dash Cam Front and Rear with Cabin, 3” IPS Touch Screen, 3 Channel Dash Cam 1440P+1080P+1080P Car Camera with IR Night Vision, 5G WiFi, GPS, Supercapacitor, Supports up to 512GB Max : Electronics

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
For what it's worth, I just hooked up a Rove R3 dashcam (which we have been using in our Explorer for some time) in the Lightning this weekend. It has a rear-facing camera which I attached to the back glass and gives an excellent view of the bed which can be operational while driving.

Plus forward and cabin views with recording! Bonus!

Amazon.com: ROVE R3 Dash Cam Front and Rear with Cabin, 3” IPS Touch Screen, 3 Channel Dash Cam 1440P+1080P+1080P Car Camera with IR Night Vision, 5G WiFi, GPS, Supercapacitor, Supports up to 512GB Max : Electronics
Thanks for sharing the idea with @Zaptor - I'm running the very same dash cam and have the rear view camera, but I don't know that I consider that display as something big enough to watch while driving. However, it might be able to be adapted. Great idea.

OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I actually have a dashcam rear view mirror (https://www.vantop.com/products/vantop-h612t-mirror-dash-cam) that has a remote rear cam that I installed on the back of my SmartCap. If it had *2* camera inputs, I'd be set... I really like the digital rear view (also records front view) but don't really want to add another dashcam setup. I am trying to get my cel to work as a hot spot but the cel signal at my house sucks, so not making much progress for now. I will update if I get it working :)

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Just grab any baby monitor off of offerup? No wifi needed....
Sponsored