• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I live on a mountain, charge to 90% and end up at 93-94% by the time I get down into town. If I charge to 100%, what happens to the extra energy?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Related question -- hopefully not a stupid question, on my part: Does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode? I've not used one-pedal as it seems so foreign to me. (Hell, having an automatic is foreign to me; I’ve always had manual transmissions since my first car 50 years ago!) So, does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode?
The truck has blended braking. In all modes, as well as one pedal mode, when you come off the accelerator the vehicle regenerates. Some modes are more aggressive than others. When you push on the brake pedal, it also regenerates. It doesn't use the physical pads until near the end of the stop.

That's why if you look, at times your brake rotors will have rust on them, because the pads aren't getting used. While driving, shift to N and gently apply brakes (no regeneration with N), shift back to D and accelerate, back to N and apply brakes, ... They'll be clean and shiny quickly.
Sponsored

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
Related question -- hopefully not a stupid question, on my part: Does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode? I've not used one-pedal as it seems so foreign to me. (Hell, having an automatic is foreign to me; I’ve always had manual transmissions since my first car 50 years ago!) So, does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode?
In my opinion if you want a driving feel closer to a manual transmission use Sport mode. It is more aggressive on regeneration that Normal mode and reminds me of my manual vehicles where you could feel a load when off the accelerator.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Regen works in all modes, automatically. Be careful with your research on OPD, a large % of the information you will find posted by other users (more so outside of this forum), is incorrect. Best driving mode is personal preference. The truck will regen appropriately based on your drive mode and braking habits.
Thank you!!!

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The truck has blended braking. In all modes, as well as one pedal mode, when you come off the accelerator the vehicle regenerates. Some modes are more aggressive than others. When you push on the brake pedal, it also regenerates. It doesn't use the physical pads until near the end of the stop.

That's why if you look, at times your brake rotors will have rust on them, because the pads aren't getting used. While driving, shift to N and gently apply brakes (no regeneration with N), shift back to D and accelerate, back to N and apply brakes, ... They'll be clean and shiny quickly.
As always, great advice from RickLightning. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I use SPORT mode in almost all my driving, even while towing...

when it comes to the question of 'Does REGEN happen when descending a mountain?', the answer is YES, and yes in ANY mode you are in, whether you have 1-pedal on, or not.

Now, if you are 100% when you leave and are then almost immediately heading down hill, your truck, and basically ANY EV, is not going to be able to slow you with REGEN, since the battery has no more 'room' for power storage... the truck will then allow the vehicle to 'roll', rather than regen, and you may feel a big difference until you have used enough of the battery to have REGEN reappear. I have this happen from my home, too, depending on which direction I leave the house. If I turn right, downhill, I will not have any regen all the way 'down' to the Lake, which then requires me to use my 'brakes', instead.

I will not say that I have NEVER used 1-pedal, but it was for only a special bumper-to-bumper stop-n-go big city traffic situation, for miles and miles.... having said that, there is also ANOTHER option, other than 1-pedal: ADAPTIVE CRUISE.
While PRO models don't come with this feature, I added it to mine.
Adaptive Cruise can also be a very nice feature when you are in stop-n-go bumper-to-bumper traffic, or even for those heavy interstate areas where slowing and speeding up seem to just be part of the driving style.
Adaptive cruise will bring your truck to a COMPLETE STOP, if needed, if the vehicle ahead stops. It will also slow you down when traffic ahead slows, and it will speed up toward your set speed when traffic ahead moves away, or speeds up. Like 1-pedal, if your truck comes to a full stop, you press the GO pedal to restart your Cruise setting, etc. It's great.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I use SPORT mode in almost all my driving, even while towing...

when it comes to the question of 'Does REGEN happen when descending a mountain?', the answer is YES, and yes in ANY mode you are in, whether you have 1-pedal on, or not.

Now, if you are 100% when you leave and are then almost immediately heading down hill, your truck, and basically ANY EV, is not going to be able to slow you with REGEN, since the battery has no more 'room' for power storage... the truck will then allow the vehicle to 'roll', rather than regen, and you may feel a big difference until you have used enough of the battery to have REGEN reappear. I have this happen from my home, too, depending on which direction I leave the house. If I turn right, downhill, I will not have any regen all the way 'down' to the Lake, which then requires me to use my 'brakes', instead.

I will not say that I have NEVER used 1-pedal, but it was for only a special bumper-to-bumper stop-n-go big city traffic situation, for miles and miles.... having said that, there is also ANOTHER option, other than 1-pedal: ADAPTIVE CRUISE.
While PRO models don't come with this feature, I added it to mine.
Adaptive Cruise can also be a very nice feature when you are in stop-n-go bumper-to-bumper traffic, or even for those heavy interstate areas where slowing and speeding up seem to just be part of the driving style.
Adaptive cruise will bring your truck to a COMPLETE STOP, if needed, if the vehicle ahead stops. It will also slow you down when traffic ahead slows, and it will speed up toward your set speed when traffic ahead moves away, or speeds up. Like 1-pedal, if your truck comes to a full stop, you press the GO pedal to restart your Cruise setting, etc. It's great.
Great info. Thanks. And I too find Adaptive Cruise useful for the situations you describe.

Mcgyverrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning LariatER (Rec'd 7/13/23)
Occupation
Retired x2
I like that the truck has regen, and I generally get 3-4% charge by the time I have descended over 1500' of elevation. I typically charge to 90% as recommended, but if I were to charge to 100%, how would the truck manage the excess power it would generate on the way down? Would it just use the mechanical brakes to avoid regen in excess of the 100% threshhold or is there a buffer beyond "100%" or what? Could I damage the battery, or are there protections in place for this scenario? Thanks in advance, can't wrap my head around where the excess electrons would go...
-Zap
I drive down 1,400 feet and 9 miles from my place in the mountains. Last week, I accidentally charged my truck to 100% and 317 miles. When I went down to town, the mileage showed 324 miles which is a few over the rated 320 miles. So it can charge a bit more than listed.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I drive down 1,400 feet and 9 miles from my place in the mountains. Last week, I accidentally charged my truck to 100% and 317 miles. When I went down to town, the mileage showed 324 miles which is a few over the rated 320 miles. So it can charge a bit more than listed.
You can't charge past 100%. More than likely what happened is your efficiency was higher going down the mountain and the GOM adjusted to it.
Sponsored