• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I live on a mountain, charge to 90% and end up at 93-94% by the time I get down into town. If I charge to 100%, what happens to the extra energy?

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I like that the truck has regen, and I generally get 3-4% charge by the time I have descended over 1500' of elevation. I typically charge to 90% as recommended, but if I were to charge to 100%, how would the truck manage the excess power it would generate on the way down? Would it just use the mechanical brakes to avoid regen in excess of the 100% threshhold or is there a buffer beyond "100%" or what? Could I damage the battery, or are there protections in place for this scenario? Thanks in advance, can't wrap my head around where the excess electrons would go...
-Zap
Sponsored

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
The truck is smart enough to take care of itself. It will stop regenning somewhere between 95 and 100%. From there the truck will only use the friction brakes to slow you down.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
To see how Chevrolet addressed this, Google: Chevy Bolt Hilltop Reserve

If you don't need the full 90% every day, lower your home charge limit to take full advantage of regen afforded by your location. The diminished regeneration from a full battery is noticeable, not dangerous. The friction brakes are fine, but wasteful if you don't need the full range.

OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Good info. I figured Ford had addressed the scenario, makes sense the system biases to the mechanical brakes. Thanks for the quick answers and have a good evening.

Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
This does beg the next question:

What if I am in a mountainous terrain where one would typically use engine braking instead of the friction brakes, to avoid overheating etc. What if in this scenario, I charge to 100% and thus defeat regenerative braking?

Am I going to overheat my brakes?

I think one could imagine a scenario where that could happen.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
This does beg the next question:

What if I am in a mountainous terrain where one would typically use engine braking instead of the friction brakes, to avoid overheating etc. What if in this scenario, I charge to 100% and thus defeat regenerative braking?

Am I going to overheat my brakes?

I think one could imagine a scenario where that could happen.
Gas vehicles drive down mountains everyday. Most people are clueless and don't even know what engine braking is. Its very rarely an issue unless your overloaded and riding the accelerator and brakes the whole way down.

So no it shouldn't be an issue in 99.9% of scenarios.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
It's a fair concern since it's not only regenerative braking that's the issue, but the permanent magnet motors that are spinning due to gravity. They will add current into the battery and I'm not sure there is a way to switch that off (hence permanent). I believe that's why we're not meant to tow with any wheels on the road - because the charging cannot be stopped and so everything could overheat and overcharge.

So perhaps that's one of the reasons for the hidden extra battery capacity. Maybe you actually will charge to 101%, 102%, 104% of usable capacity, but the dash will still show 100%?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I believe that's why we're not meant to tow with any wheels on the road
It's very common for vehicles to not be towed on the drive wheels. There is excess wear on the drivetrain. All of my awd vehicles have mentioned this.

I'm not sure how long it would take before overheating the motor/battery but the rivian adventure trip required them to be towed to recharge the batteries in dead zones.

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
When I'm at 100%, the green regen pulsing on the dash doesn't appear when braking and when coasting you can really feel the difference when there is zero regen. After getting used to the very slight regen feel during coasting, it really feels like the truck is getting away from you or even slightly accelerating when coasting with no regen. After a few miles of driving regen comes back and coasting feels "normal" again. So yes, I think the truck automatically turns off regen when the battery cannot take on any energy, then self adjusts when capacity is available.

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I believe time travel is a consideration if you charge to 100% and go down the mountain. All kidding aside, this is a question I had pondered a few months back but forgot to ask, so thank you for posting it. The downside is the % lost going back up the mountain at the end of the day

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
If you go down the mountain backwards you can take the miles off your truck and not have to worry about regen, just keep it in D and give a little throttle when you think your going to fast. Should work out just fine.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Related question -- hopefully not a stupid question, on my part: Does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode? I've not used one-pedal as it seems so foreign to me. (Hell, having an automatic is foreign to me; I’ve always had manual transmissions since my first car 50 years ago!) So, does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode?

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
The charging system on EVs are designed to NOT start charging when the SOC is above some threshold, typically somewhere between 95% and 98%. I believe it can be adjusted with the necessary software.

This applies to both regen and plugging in and is designed to prevent overcharging.

My Focus Electric is set for 97%. I can't set my own charging limit like we do with my wife's Lightning (90% when home) and it will always charge to 100%. Except, if it is over 97% and I plug it in, it won't charge to 100.

I recently had the FFE charging in the garage and needed to take it out to load things, so I thought I would plug it in outside the garage to finish charging. Unfortunately, it was at 98% so it wouldn't start again. FordPass then sent me an alert saying the car "reached its target charge of 97%".

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
Related question -- hopefully not a stupid question, on my part: Does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode? I've not used one-pedal as it seems so foreign to me. (Hell, having an automatic is foreign to me; I’ve always had manual transmissions since my first car 50 years ago!) So, does Regen only work in "one pedal" mode?
Regen works in all modes, automatically. Be careful with your research on OPD, a large % of the information you will find posted by other users (more so outside of this forum), is incorrect. Best driving mode is personal preference. The truck will regen appropriately based on your drive mode and braking habits.
Sponsored