• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ice sliding off solar panels

Jersey Devil

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 XL
Occupation
Truck Driver
I woke up this morning to find the snow/ice slid off my solar panels onto my freshly cleaned driveway, as I was shoveling it aside I realized how heavy it was & how lucky I was that it landed 4-6” in front of my fronk. Thankfully it didn’t slide off roof & land on my truck! 🙏🏻
I just thought I’d share the lesson I learned not to park too close to house in winter when plugging in so hopefully no one else has an issue since it’s something I didn’t think about & I got very lucky
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Good advice, I've noticed a lot of my neighbors with an inch of icy snow cover that's starting to loosen up today with the milder temp's, expecting to hear a lot of that crashing off roof tops shortly.

I don't have solar panels, but do have a troublesome section of roof on our house that's always building up ice-dams, pulled out the roof-rake and helped clear up some of the build up before the partial melt refreezes overnight.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I had issues with snow and ice falling down off my panels. So I had to get Snow Guards, and so far its been working pretty well.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks - Very good head's up. I'm considering solar on my roof in the next month or so and the front side of my garage is now a no-go.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Agreed. I just got solar last February and with the recent snow and ice the loud thunderous crashed have been new to me. Unfortunately my panels are somewhat flush to the edge of my gutters and once the melting starts the sheets slide right over the edge and to the ground. Unfortunately there is no space for the guards which I would’ve liked.

Anybody use an extension brush to clean off the snow on the panels that isn’t crazy expensive? Would need a reach of at least 30’.
Sponsored