• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

If I remove the mobile charging cable when I order...

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm looking save money and planning to remove the $500 mobile charging cable when I order (who knows when...). Does anyone know if that means the truck will come with no cable at all? Or will there be at least a level 1 cable?
Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I'm looking save money and planning to remove the $500 mobile charging cable when I order (who knows when...). Does anyone know if that means the truck will come with no cable at all? Or will there be at least a level 1 cable?
the mobile charger is what supports level 1/2 charging. so no cable.
if you buy the ER variants you do get the 80Amp capable level 2 charger.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I think it’s gonna come with nothing. But you can get made in China EVSEs on eBay for $130 for a 120v sloooow one, and under $400 for a 7.2 kW 240V one. You won’t save much.

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wishful thinking, trying to figure out where I can pinch a penny. Without the tax rebate not sure I can swing the ER. Need to keep SR under the cap so will probably source a third party EVSE. I can probably make level 1 work but if the cost difference is that little then might as well budget for level 2.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I have an SR Lightning and use a shared charger between my wife's EV and my Lightning.

There are lots of alternatives much less costly than the Ford mobile charger.

Look at L1/L2 travel chargers around $200 or an inexpensive EVSE (mounted) around $300.

No need for high power, expensive chargers.

Sponsored

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
Wishful thinking, trying to figure out where I can pinch a penny. Without the tax rebate not sure I can swing the ER. Need to keep SR under the cap so will probably source a third party EVSE. I can probably make level 1 work but if the cost difference is that little then might as well budget for level 2.
These trucks are getting seriously expensive. With the price of the ERs being over the cap to get the credit, sure makes one think about just how high that payment is gonna be.

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eventually I want home back up, but short term trying to see how long I can put off costly installs until i decide what, where, and how to do the back up. I'd rather not pay for the electrician twice.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I’ve seen the ford one for sale as cheap as $350 so far. Will probably drop more over time. A lot of people who already received them don’t need them.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
I have an SR Lightning and use a shared charger between my wife's EV and my Lightning.

There are lots of alternatives much less costly than the Ford mobile charger.

Look at L1/L2 travel chargers around $200 or an inexpensive EVSE (mounted) around $300.

No need for high power, expensive chargers.
I vowed not to get an SR of anything agsin after having my SR Model 3. Simply because it took at least 70 miles from the battery to go 50 road miles. In the winter, thst won't work to get me hone as I live 50 miles from work, especially if I need
Eventually I want home back up, but short term trying to see how long I can put off costly installs until i decide what, where, and how to do the back up. I'd rather not pay for the electrician twice.
I've still got the 40 amp outlet from my Model 3 days. Not sure if that will be enough to charge er back up fror work in the mornings, since I'm 50 miles out. Will probably have to upgrade.. but havent gotten an invite yet, so i guess ive have loads of time.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
My SR comment was just made from my situation. Living further, it's just more osinful to not have range. Some folks can make it work, it was just too much for me. My child had a kidney transplant last year abd running back and forth to the hospital in the model 3 sr in cold weather just drained the battery. I was charging all the time. Finally said screw it and traded it in for a powerboost. Vowed my next EV would have an ER battery. That's just me. Don't mean to offend abybody.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
There are other alternative companies than SunRun for home integration power.

I am on a wait list for the Emporia bi-directional 11kW w/ inverter HIS for $1500.

Much cheaper and all you need is an electrician to wire up the transfer switch.

Just don't know how much Ford charges to "turn on" the bi-directional feature on my SR Lightning....

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve seen the ford one for sale as cheap as $350 so far. Will probably drop more over time. A lot of people who already received them don’t need them.
That's a good point, I'll start checking prices for those. Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My SR comment was just made from my situation. Living further, it's just more osinful to not have range. Some folks can make it work, it was just too much for me. My child had a kidney transplant last year abd running back and forth to the hospital in the model 3 sr in cold weather just drained the battery. I was charging all the time. Finally said screw it and traded it in for a powerboost. Vowed my next EV would have an ER battery. That's just me. Don't mean to offend abybody.
None taken, I appreciate all the different perspectives. Gives me a better idea on what I'm getting myself into. This will be my first EV so there are a lot of "gotchya's" that I'm on the lookout for. I hope everything has gone well for your kiddo!

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are other alternative companies than SunRun for home integration power.

I am on a wait list for the Emporia bi-directional 11kW w/ inverter HIS for $1500.

Much cheaper and all you need is an electrician to wire up the transfer switch.

Just don't know how much Ford charges to "turn on" the bi-directional feature on my SR Lightning....
Interesting, do you happen to know if it allows solar to be used when the grid is down?

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I ordered my XLT on 9/7 and deleted the Ford Mobile Charger and bought a Grizzl-e 40amp charger off of Amazon and saved $10 lol. It will be more reliable than the Ford charger from what I've read here and has a 3 year warranty and is UL listed unlike the Chinese chargers on Amazon. Plus I got the "Avalanche" model to pair with my Avalanche XLT I know the charger is white and not grey 😂😂😂

Ford F-150 Lightning If I remove the mobile charging cable when I order... Screenshot_2022-09-14-23-42-53-19_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108
Sponsored