• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Intelligent backup power issues/unreliable

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I believe this reveals the difference in a Legacy Auto Manufacturer trying to get into the 'home integration' business, which is completely different and out of their normal everyday business expertise, versus staying with 'what they know', manufacturing vehicles...
this system and all it's required 'electrical professional' installation, codes, local permits, utilities, equipment, hardware, etc... creates a whole different dynamic.
Sponsored

smandel

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired Stagehand/ Electric/Sound/Props/Carp/Etc
You said it all… My discussions with the customer care battery group has not been encouraging to say the least. After a few months after installation I finally got it to work talking to Sunrun and Delta and resetting FCSP on many attempts. It’s worked 3 out of 4 times I’ve attempted an outage simulation. I’m going to put a 5 kw battery backup, attaching it to BDI inverter, to give me a little more confidence on having a backup until Ford actually comes up with software and possibly hardware to solve the problem. With my AC coupled solar I’ll have more than enough daylight power. I think the big issue with our group is there is not that many of us that bought into the HIS program and therefore they don’t have the issue on front burner.

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F250
At some point Ford is going to be liable and subject to a Class Action lawsuit. I really just want my system to work. But it hasn't for 6 months, and there is no word from Ford as to what the problem is or when they will have a solution. Very disappointed.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Feasibility of class action likely depends on the class size. How many have bought HIS? 100's?

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F250
It would be nice to know how many have been sold and how many are having issues with the system. Heck I would even like to know what percentage are having no issues. It only takes about a dozen to have a class action suit.

I really just want Ford to make it right. So far I have had the system for 6 months and haven't realized any benefit. They told me it would work, it doesn't. When I have called they told me they are working on a solution. I didn't buy the system in 2022 and install it in 2023 so that it would work someday. I wanted it to work as soon as installation and commissioning was complete.

The system is attached and hardwired to my house. Not like I can box it up and return it and have my electrician give me my money back because it doesn't work.

I am not sure I would even know how to evaluate how much harm I have suffered. Until it gets resolved I am going to feel like I have wasted my time, and my money. I also feel like I was misled by Ford. The folks that are just using a generator connection have to date had the lowest cost solution, and it actually works reliably.

Sponsored

Cfieldsj

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How do we get a count? Mine doesn’t work as advertised! Set up one of those polls? I don’t know to do it but I would love to see the results!

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Senior Wireless QA Engineer
Jim, as always you are a fountain of information.

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Senior Wireless QA Engineer
Update:
Sunrun finally sent out a technician to have a look at the system - not installed by Sunrun.
The technician was great and agreed that the system in full sun was not producing the necessary power to my grid with my solar installation - again, 8 years old and not installed by Sunrun.

Apparently, my solar panels are Sunpower 345W Commercial grade panels that produce more wattage than the SunRun/Ford inverter can handle with the 2-string x 7-panel configuration that had been installed before.

My previous inverter was an SMA Sunnyboy 6000 and according to Sunrun Tech "That thing is a tank, and could handle the input".

They (Sunrun) changed out the configuration to 2 x 6 and found that it was then producing back to the grid much better. We have let it sit for about 3 weeks and next they will come out and change the configuration to 2 x 5, 1 x 4, to better even out the input and add back the two panels that are currently disconnected.

The system was installed on June 2, 2023. Finally registered and activated on July 7, 2023. The system was not commissioned correctly by Sunrun until Aug 28, 2023, which resulted in two months of SCE billing because the system was not sending power to the grid.

On Sept, 10, Sunrun came out and made the initial changes above and will be out Nov 5, to complete the work.

The moral of the story, make sure the PV installed will work and not overdrive this fragile system.
Now, if Ford delivers on the November update change to make this system work, I should have a happy system.

smandel

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired Stagehand/ Electric/Sound/Props/Carp/Etc
Yes, the parameters of the Delta inverter also stopped me from using the DC string coupling and instead I used my original solar edge inverters and had capacity to add a few more panels. I AC coupled the output of solar edge AC to my home panel and to the Delta inverter. Getting about 17k of power from the truck and solar panels. So far, so good.

Sea Ranch

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting, Porsche Carrera T, F150, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Retired
I have the HIS installed and in the dozen or so simulated outages and two actual outages it has worked about 20% of the time. It has been a frustrating and expensive lesson. I do believe that Ford will make it right. When is the question.

Sponsored

bananaslug79

First Name
Samas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sparky" 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Self employed
Great thread! In hindsight of course I wish I had found it before installation, but that's already done and the only aspect that is not working today is the truck linking with the FCSP. Yes, expensive to do this route but as many have already said, it's on Ford at this point to make it right. Count me as another "just want it to all work as advertised cause we love Ford and the Lightning." Let's gooooo!!

bananaslug79

First Name
Samas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sparky" 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Self employed
Great thread! In hindsight of course I wish I had found it before installation, but that's already done and the only aspect that is not working today is the truck linking with the FCSP. Yes, expensive to do this route but as many have already said, it's on Ford at this point to make it right. Count me as another "just want it to all work as advertised cause we love Ford and the Lightning." Let's gooooo!!
So, update on our HIS from the Central PA region. After taking my Lariat to the dealer (again) to actually get their latest CSP done regarding the 12V battery module replacement, I had a few moments in the driveway to once again try to link our newly installed FCSP with the truck. This being at least the sixth or seventh try to connect them, I didn't really hold out any hope and figured I would need to engage Ford support again. Color me delighted when it all hooked up fine and worked!

Next was simulating an outage; my electrician told me to turn off the breaker to the backup panel which should engage the system to power from the truck. However, he forgot to tell me to also kill power to the FSCP (which kept happily charging my truck via the grid while I waited ten minutes in the dark) so it took another test later that morning to verify the backup system was functional. The power transfer was slow (around 6 or 7 minutes) but it worked, which completes an 8 month saga that germinated in 2021 when Ford announced the Lightning and place a reservation on ordering. Whew!

FYI, the changes made to my truck and FSCP since the entire system was installed two weeks ago: 1) FCSP connected to home Wi-Fi with latest software version (may have updated since the install), 2) FSCP showing in FordPass under my account, 3) IBS purchased and enabled on my Ford account (as our Lariat is standard range). Two things that I don't believe have anything to do with the system being functional now (but being a former IT pro I won't ignore as variables) is the aforementioned CSP replacement of the 12V battery module and me disabling the Wi-Fi hotspot of the truck this morning as I realized I'd never use it (or could simply enable as needed).

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

FYI, the changes made to my truck and FSCP since the entire system was installed two weeks ago: 1) FCSP connected to home Wi-Fi with latest software version (may have updated since the install), 2) FSCP showing in FordPass under my account, 3) IBS purchased and enabled on my Ford account (as our Lariat is standard range)...
As an owner of an HIS unit that has mostly worked ~reliably since 1/9/24, I think it's important not to overlook the BT aspect. In an electrical outage, you'll have no Wi-Fi until the truck provides backup power. Communication between the truck and the FCSP to negotiate power transfer is through BT. In the past, if I wanted to have the best conditions for testing backup, I've left my phone and my fob away from the truck and in Faraday cages. For other reasons, I routinely turn off Apple CarPlay on my phone when I exit my truck (iOS Settings, General, CarPlay). And I've removed my State Farm Drive Safe & Save BT beacon from a center console cup holder and put it in a Faraday cage (my kitchen microwave oven!). If backup transfer does fail after the system has sat for days or weeks, I've reached the state where a cold reboot has always restored power transfer capability (shut off power to FCSP and the HIS unit; shut down the Dark Start battery of the HIS unit via the M Professional app Menu, Additional Feature, DS Battery).

Someone high up on the Sunrun/Ford troubleshooting team for the Home Integration System told me that regarding power transfer, ignore the Connection Lost notices in the FordPass app. He said it's just glitchy Ford server behavior and doesn't affect power transfer behavior.

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
For what it's worth, now that I park my truck so that there's a direct line of sight between the FCSP and the rear right of the cab, (and close enough for the signal to reach) everything works well.

I really think Ford et al dropped the ball on this.

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
You said it all… My discussions with the customer care battery group has not been encouraging to say the least. After a few months after installation I finally got it to work talking to Sunrun and Delta and resetting FCSP on many attempts. It’s worked 3 out of 4 times I’ve attempted an outage simulation. I’m going to put a 5 kw battery backup, attaching it to BDI inverter, to give me a little more confidence on having a backup until Ford actually comes up with software and possibly hardware to solve the problem. With my AC coupled solar I’ll have more than enough daylight power. I think the big issue with our group is there is not that many of us that bought into the HIS program and therefore they don’t have the issue on front burner.
Curious how have your customer care experiences been when calling Ford? Long waits, bouncing around, do they remember who you are or what you called about last time you called etc etc? I got bounced around 3 times just calling to return a sunshade and didn’t have other channels to use I.e. chat or text etc
Sponsored