• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is 320 miles on ER possible? Not seeing it in the math...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My return commute today was at 2.7 vs 2.2 yesterday. Today it was a little cooler (85 vs 95) and I didn't run the HVAC. That's with 75% highway miles on the commute. That's great, AFAIC. My overall efficiency is 2.3 since I got the truck, I've put 250 miles on it. We've been in a heat wave since Friday and I've been running the AC whenever I'm in the truck but that's a rarity for me. I usually only use AC on the hottest days. I probably run the HVAC less than 10% of the time from April through November. Once it cools down a bit I expect my running average to move up to 2.4-2.6.

I have a longer highway drive on Thursday. ~120 miles of almost entirely highway. Looks like good weather. I'll likely set cruise on 75 and with no HVAC.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
On the freeway Iā€™m normally a 10 mph over speed limit driver and my commute is mostly highway. So Iā€™m attempting to bring it down 5 mph because I know it will help.

The efficiency has been great so far.
Similar for me. When i got the Bolt last year i found myself driving 5-10 miles slower more often (on the highway). My commute at the time was 95% wide open highway and iā€™d still drive 75-80 on that route just to make it there faster. I would still get around 4 mi/kwh for my long term average even when i was driving mostly high speed highway driving. Thatā€™s about what the combined EPA is for the Bolt (3.9mi/kwh).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I seem to be getting around 2.4mi/kWh for my typical driving which is 60-70% highway, usually 70-80mph travel speed (when possible). This is without HVAC. It was more like 2.2 mi/kWh when I was running the HVAC consistently. 2.4mi/kWh is about 320 miles, at least for me it seems doable in mild conditions.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
FWIW, when i charged to 100% before i left for my trip yesterday the range said 323 miles. I havenā€™t adjusted my driving habits at all since getting the truck.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
FWIW, when i charged to 100% before i left for my trip yesterday the range said 323 miles. I havenā€™t adjusted my driving habits at all since getting the truck.
curious what your climate (outdoors and AC in the truck) has been like

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
curious what your climate (outdoors and AC in the truck) has been like

About half the time iā€™ve had the truck there was a heat wave so i was using AC whenever i was driving. The last few days I hadnā€™t used AC at all. I donā€™t use AC often so iā€™d say itā€™s pretty typical for me, maybe a little more HVAC use than usual.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
About half the time iā€™ve had the truck there was a heat wave so i was using AC whenever i was driving. The last few days I hadnā€™t used AC at all. I donā€™t use AC often so iā€™d say itā€™s pretty typical for me, maybe a little more HVAC use than usual.
thanks - curious because since Iā€™ve had my truck here in central Texas itā€™s been ambient highs between 100-105, likely 120+ at the pavement, and since I store my truck outdoors itā€™s hot as hell with max AC for quite a while

Around town, my truck is often attributing 20-30% of energy usage to ā€œExt. Temp,ā€ which in honesty I still canā€™t say what that means or entails

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
In my case, the 1.6 came from 79 mph interstate driving, about 180 miles or so, with a small headwind. I also have the A/T tires, which I expect also impacts the energy usage.

Where I live it's mostly 55 mph state & county highways, and I'm averaging 2.0-2.2 on them (of course, above the speed limit generally).
@55mph you should get at least EPA range which means 2.5 miles/kWh. Of course that means no wind and flat. 2.0-2.2 sounds lower than I would expect.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
...and btw, Iā€™m allowing for keeping things simple here because if we were really drilling down Iā€™d be asking not only about EC vs ICE efficiencies at the engine/motors, but also regarding the broader need for energy consumption at the accessories and cooling being used by EV vs ICE.

despite the fact that my EV is not idoling fuel when stopped, coasting, breaking, as in my ICE, my current gut feeling (admittedly) is that the EV is less efficient than my ICE at running the accessories/cooling during an idol (be it sitting, breaking, coasting)...

...accordingly, while Iā€™m beginning to grasp the assertion that EVs are more efficient relative to ICEā€™s insofar as not needing to idol the engine, it is still hard for me to believe that this is a material component of the EVā€™s efficiency (compared to regen, fearing), and VERY hard for me to believe that the ICE devotes nearly as much fuel to running the non-driving systems of the vehicle
Apples to apples comparison of total energy used, regardless of fuel source, posted by MotorTrend recently:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/evs-more-efficient-than-internal-combustion-engines/

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
If you live in a hilly or mountain region, I would not expect to hit EPA rates. Anybody who lives in a generally flat area can expect to drastically beat EPA range. If you guys try to drive the truck like an ICE engine, you wont ever see great efficiency. This was our trip today, going to the woods to do some scouting. Max speed of 65, no cruise control.

Screenshot_20220814-152309_FordPass.jpg
i thought anything over ~2.4mi/kWh would hit or exceed the EPA rating ā€¦ on that metric, it looks like you did well

what am I missing?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
thanks - curious because since Iā€™ve had my truck here in central Texas itā€™s been ambient highs between 100-105, likely 120+ at the pavement, and since I store my truck outdoors itā€™s hot as hell with max AC for quite a while

Around town, my truck is often attributing 20-30% of energy usage to ā€œExt. Temp,ā€ which in honesty I still canā€™t say what that means or entails
Yeah, when we had the heat wave coming through it was saying 25% between external temp and hvac. Once it cooled off iā€™ve been seeing 94-95% attributed to driving energy when on the highway.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
i thought anything over ~2.4mi/kWh would hit or exceed the EPA rating ā€¦ on that metric, it looks like you did well

what am I missing?
Considering the trip meter sandbags a bit, i expect any time youā€™re seeing 2.2-2.3 that you are hitting EPA.

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Agreed - slower speeds = more range.

Yes, it's possible to get more than the EPA range if driven like I do.

I have been getting 3-3.5 mi/kWh on my Lariat - when fully charged, it now displays obout 10% more range than the window sticker.

Hypermiling this truck is fun - so far I have tried: no climate controls, gentle accelerations, coasting a lot, light braking, 1PD off, and keeping speeds under 50MPH driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

Reminds me of the early days when Prius window stickers showed higher MPGe with city driving vs highway driving.
I just did a test drive on an SR XLT and was surprised to see 3.7 miles/kWh for the trip. Iā€™m glad to see itā€™s possible regularly.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Late, but just to give you an answer, that is the energy the truck is using to keep the battery happy via either heating or cooling. Around town this is a bigger fraction since you are driving slower and using less for propulsion.
Sponsored