• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is 320 miles on ER possible? Not seeing it in the math...

BeeLightning

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Impala, Jag SUV, F-150 Lightning on order
Excluding doing all the launches with my friends I’m averaging mid twos. One 50 mile trip I got over 3 mi per kWh.

My EV that can do truck things is great so far.
Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I’m new to the forum. I found a thread stating that the 2023 lighting order bank will open on August 10. I had registered in august 2021 so I’m hopeful to get the email from Ford.
Im wondering if any new f150 lightning owners have taken the truck on a road trip. The ford dealer discouraged me from doing so. He said that they had driven one and had difficulty finding plug ins. They also spent too much time at the plug to make it reasonable. I would love to take it cross country but this wouldn’t be good news. If so do I buy it for only local use???? Thanks for any insight you can give
Don't be afraid to take your EV on a cross country trip. I would not hesitate a bit. Everyone who has one got those jitters the moment they planned a trip. The vehicle will point out the chargers along your way and for how long you have to charge. Join EA or EV GO or any other network in your region. Pack a picnic and visit those stations along your route. You be pleasantly surprised of how easy, convenient and inexpensive can be.
Now that I received my F150 Lightning, I am about to tow a camper regularly. Planning is the key. The infrastructure will get bigger and better. By that time you will be an expert.
Regular folks like not to think to much. They like the convenience of a gas station at every exit on the interstate. Now charging stations are every 70 to 80 miles. They're will be more of them in the near future. Even more choices when Tesla opens their network also. So don't worry. Plan ahead and learn your vehicles capabilities. It will help you a lot. Once you do couple trips, you end up smiling all the time. You will be more proactive all the time. You will use your brain a lot more.
By the way, my Lightning 100% full showed 325 miles. 2.1 to 2.3 with occasional 2.6 in suburban driving. Remember that the Lightning is always on Electrical Steroids. Surprise.???!!!!!

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Im dense. But can you extrapolate on how to convert this info to the base battery? Im not a numbers guy. Thanks
The rated range of the SR F150L and the 62 kWh Leaf are so close that I would recommend reading the range compared to speed directly off of the 62 kWh Leaf range chart. For example, a SR F150L traveling at 75 mph would have a usable range of 185 miles.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I have just under 8,000 miles on mine. Unfortunately about 2/3 of that is freeway miles with DCFC charging. Usually around 70 mph or so.

Even so I have about 2.4 miles per kwh average currently. Highest I have seen is 307 miles at 100%.

The freeway miles are killing me. In city I get an easy 2.8 miles / kwh. Hate the one pedal. I actually flip my truck into neutral for down hill coast to not loose energy. Of course not while towing.

I have noticed that if you don't clean the dead bugs of your giant front end, it cost you an easy 0.1-0.2 miles / kwh in efficiency.😈 So wash your trucks folks.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
The rated range of the SR F150L and the 62 kWh Leaf are so close that I would recommend reading the range compared to speed directly off of the 62 kWh Leaf range chart. For example, a SR F150L traveling at 75 mph would have a usable range of 185 miles.

very true, and the negative about the LEAF is that it uses the CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging connection, which is limited to 50kw and they are either harder to find, or are in short supply compared to CCS - most Charge stations will have one of both, but some EA stations will have 7 CCS and only 1 CHAdeMO. A Leaf is a great car, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive one either, as I've owned two of the older '14 and '15 models with 70 mile ranges, but they just don't have the utility and towing of the LIGHTNING. I'll bet the Leaf's price is also right there with the PRO, too.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
The freeway miles are killing me. In city I get an easy 2.8 miles / kwh. Hate the one pedal. I actually flip my truck into neutral for down hill coast to not loose energy. Of course not while towing.
I also hope Ford/Tesla can have a clear click position for one pedal driving so we can coast as neutral.

Tesla has an indicator on screen I can tell if I am accelerating or braking though. But it needs some practice and not convenient.

Last edited:

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Thanks for responding. My budget will probably force me into a Pro (I can’t add the ER battery), or an XLT without ER (since ford decided to bundle it w upgrades to take it out of my price range)! Both scenarios make me mad. A truck w basic battery is 230 Mile range max??? Have any of you taken trips w a basic battery? Does it get the full mileage? I’m guessing even more planning is required
Just so you don't fall into the range anxiety mode, remember that the Lightning is very intelligent and will make sure you don't run out of charge.

I have the SR battery (230 mile range) and I love it - never have range anxiety, charge once a week at home, charge at work for free when I can, and never run out.

Planning a long distance trip will be different, looking for DCFC (L3) along the way as well as hotels that have L2 overnight charging.

Don't get mad at Ford for the SR battery Pro or XLT trim - they are the trims I wanted originally.

But for 2022, there were very limited Pro and XLT made so I had to settle for a Lariat base (SR).

So far it's been awesome.

The way you drive, how much weight in the truck, weather, terrain, winds, etc will play into your total range.

I drive like an old man, no climate controls, warm weather all year, flat terrain, and gentle driving so I get rewarded with 250+ miles range on my EPA rated 230 miles.

Mike777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Locally in summer where I live around the lake, I get great gas mileage In my Bronco. Streets are 25-45 maximum, 55 if you go over the mountain to Carson City NV. I’m hoping to get the 320 miles locally with Lariat. Winter! Nah.
Did I just read great mileage in the Bronco...cant be right? I'm a Bronco owner thats been watching these forums because im considering getting a lariat lightning. I'm getting about 15 MPG in my SAS Bronco. I dont know if this helps but I did do a trip to Colorado from Texas and I did notice my MPG significantly increased in the mountains like no joke about 5 MPG vs being in South Texas. Not sure if its the same for EV's.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Did I just read great mileage in the Bronco...cant be right? I'm a Bronco owner thats been watching these forums because im considering getting a lariat lightning. I'm getting about 15 MPG in my SAS Bronco. I dont know if this helps but I did do a trip to Colorado from Texas and I did notice my MPG significantly increased in the mountains like no joke about 5 MPG vs being in South Texas. Not sure if its the same for EV's.
Most of the driving around the lake in Bronco is flat with some hills and speed 35-45 average. My Bronco is 4 cylinder with 33” tires. 20.4 mile average at the moment.

Hills with EVs are very tricky. I drive 42 miles to my parents up and outside the Lake Tahoe basin at 6200 elevation to 4000 elevation. I only use about 26 miles getting to their house,despite it being 42 miles, because it’s mostly down hill. Going back up to Tahoe it uses 64 miles of range despite it being 42 miles. I will sell my Tesla in the next day or two and pick up my Lariat and see how it differs

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I did my first commute in mixed driving this morning. It’s 20 miles with about 50/50 highway/surface roads. 65mph highway avg, 35-40mph surface average. Efficiency was 2.8. There’s some elevation gain, too, it might be a little better on the reverse commute.

EDIT: to add…my recently sold Bolt would get about 13% above EPA combined range on this commute. The Lightning got about 15% over EPA combined on the first leg. I’ll have to see how it develops over time but on first cut it handles the commute in a similar way to the Bolt with respect to efficiency.
My return commute today came in a 2.2 mi/kWh with a total efficiency of 2.4 (or 2.5*) for the roundtrip. I took the route with more highway miles (probably 80% vs 50% in the morning) and the travel speed was higher than the highway miles in the morning (significant portions were 70-80mph). So, it's not surprising that the efficiency was lower. The Trip Energy screen was also showing 7% impact from external temp (It was SCORCHING today) and 6% from climate. In the summer I rarely use AC, I prefer the windows open but the few days a year when the heat index in the triple digits I do use it. So, with my normal driving habits and less extreme temps it seems my efficiency might be 10% higher. Time will tell...

*Ford's energy calculations are wonky. For one, the Trip 1 efficiency in the driver's display didn't match the Trip 1 efficiency in the Trip Energy screen in the center console. One said 2.4mi/kwh and the other said 2.5mi/kWh despite the travel time and mileage being identical. Since I had 2.8 on the way to work and 2.2 on the way home (pretty much the same distance), you would think the average would be 2.5. I wonder if it's just rounding error in Ford's calc or the two screens are actually pulling different data on the back end? @Ford Motor Company @tommolog

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
So far in my typical driving, which is probably 60/40 hwy/city I'm seeing 2.2-2.4. Now I'm kind of wondering about the people who were reporting 1.6-1.8 early on. Was that just flat out highway at 80 all the time?

Anyway, I'm taking road trip from Boston-ish to DC-ish next week. I'll be keeping track of efficiency on the drive there and back. Should be interesting!

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
So far in my typical driving, which is probably 60/40 hwy/city I'm seeing 2.2-2.4. Now I'm kind of wondering about the people who were reporting 1.6-1.8 early on. Was that just flat out highway at 80 all the time?
In my case, the 1.6 came from 79 mph interstate driving, about 180 miles or so, with a small headwind. I also have the A/T tires, which I expect also impacts the energy usage.

Where I live it's mostly 55 mph state & county highways, and I'm averaging 2.0-2.2 on them (of course, above the speed limit generally).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
In my case, the 1.6 came from 79 mph interstate driving, about 180 miles or so, with a small headwind. I also have the A/T tires, which I expect also impacts the energy usage.

Where I live it's mostly 55 mph state & county highways, and I'm averaging 2.0-2.2 on them (of course, above the speed limit generally).
That makes sense. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see 1.6 in some situations but it seemed like everyone was reporting 1.6-1.8 for the first few weeks of deliveries. I wouldn’t expect that to be a normal efficiency for most people in most driving situations.

BeeLightning

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Impala, Jag SUV, F-150 Lightning on order
On the freeway I’m normally a 10 mph over speed limit driver and my commute is mostly highway. So I’m attempting to bring it down 5 mph because I know it will help.

The efficiency has been great so far.
Sponsored