• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is California Getting the Lightning Before Others?

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
A F150 Lightning Facebook group alleges that Ford is going to favor certain states, like California, for early delivery of the Lightning. I know Toyota did this with the Rav4 Prime. Only California, Washington and Oregon could get the Rav4 Prime in the Western U.S. until relatively recently. I haven't heard such news from any other source about the Lightning. Can anyone confirm or deny that preferential treatment may be given to states, like California, with a higher concentration of EVs?
Sponsored

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Ford initially said they planned to deliver Mach Es to all 50 states by the end of 2020. Covid delays pushed most deliveries into 2021 but they did make early deliveries to all 50 states without focusing on just a few. It's good marketing to distribute at least some cars to all dealers in all states, so one can expect they will do the same for the Lightning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
A F150 Lightning Facebook group alleges that Ford is going to favor certain states, like California, for early delivery of the Lightning. I know Toyota did this with the Rav4 Prime. Only California, Washington and Oregon could get the Rav4 Prime in the Western U.S. until relatively recently. I haven't heard such news from any other source about the Lightning. Can anyone confirm or deny that preferential treatment may be given to states, like California, with a higher concentration of EVs?
Preference will very likely be given to ZEV states, as manufacturers have a quota to meet there. If they don't meet it, that have to pay still penalties or buy credits from Tesla.

https://www.wane.com/news/which-states-have-the-most-electric-cars/amp/

If you want your state to help push along electric vehicles, you can always contact your state elected officials and ask them to join the list.

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
Preference will very likely be given to ZEV states, as manufacturers have a quota to meet there. If they don't meet it, that have to pay still penalties or buy credits from Tesla.

If you want your state to help push along electric vehicles, you can always contact your state elected officials and ask them to join the list.
I think the opposite should happen, having different rules by certain states increases costs for the manufacturers which is passed on to us. Encourage congress to get rid of these onerous regulations which also delay rollouts of new models.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard

It's reasonable for two reasons:

(1) California is the biggest state --- by default it would have the most allocation if they just allocate by population.

(2) California is the biggest ZEV State and the leader in the EV movement -- it has nearly 50% of all EV sales in the US. It is driving EV adoption. There's also regulatory targets in ZEV states.

I believe every single EV release does this -- Mach-e did it as well.

On a bigger scale, EVs are not prioritized in the US. There's a lot more EVs in the world and car makers usually allocate more or only sell certain EVs in other parts of the world.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Encourage congress to get rid of these onerous regulations which also delay rollouts of new models.
The onerous regulations are the reason Why EV cars are even being sold in the US. Without CA and ZEV states, you would see much less EVs and the US is already shunned in the EV marketplace due to its propping up gas prices through subsidization and not having stricter emission targets.

US sales are 2% of all EV sales globally. The world average is 4.6%. Germany, France and UK are all ~11%. China is 6%. We're not even average.

Take away CA and ZEV, US ev sales are likely closer to Mexico and Brazil (.1%).

Last time it was calculated that I can see, CA has 12 EV registered per 1000 people. Texas had 1.36.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think the opposite should happen, having different rules by certain states increases costs for the manufacturers which is passed on to us. Encourage congress to get rid of these onerous regulations which also delay rollouts of new models.
These are state regulations, the Federal government has nothing to do with it.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier

Does anyone on here know how this applies to Ford specifically? Are they currently paying fines, or are they selling enough MMEs to meet the quota? Are light trucks even included in this quota system?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Does anyone on here know how this applies to Ford specifically? Are they currently paying fines, or are they selling enough MMEs to meet the quota? Are light trucks even included in this quota system?
I believe anything under GVWR of 8500lbs is included (so F150s are, but not 250s and above). Ford is buying credits from Tesla right now, last I read was $3k a pop, so every lightning sold in a ZEV state saves Ford $3k - likely how the Pro is profitable for them

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Letter carrier
I believe anything under GVWR of 8500lbs is included (so F150s are, but not 250s and above). Ford is buying credits from Tesla right now, last I read was $3k a pop, so every lightning sold in a ZEV state saves Ford $3k - likely how the Pro is profitable for them
Great, thank you for clarifying this for me.

Sponsored

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These are state regulations, the Federal government has nothing to do with it.
Maybe you didn’t understand. I don’t believe it is in the consumers best interest to allow individual states to dictate car regulations.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Maybe you didn’t understand. I don’t believe it is in the consumers best interest to allow individual states to dictate car regulations.
Individual States don’t díctate car regulations. If other States choose to follow them then good for them.

Should manufacturers cater to States with low sales or the State with the most vehicles sales. It’s really not that hard to understand why companies follow California Regulations, but they don’t have to

Last edited:

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Individual States don’t díctate car regulations. If other States choose to follow them then good for them.

Should manufacturers cater to States with low sales or the State with the most vehicles sales. It’s really not that hard to understand why companies follow California Regulations, but they don’t have to
Well, 11 states have dictated requirements that are different than the remaining states. So at least (2) different regulations for cars in the US that manufacturers need to comply with….vs. the recent fuel economy standards that were just changed. Does this make it easier to understand?

https://www.currentautomotive.com/what-is-a-zev-credit-and-how-does-tesla-make-money-with-them/

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Maybe true as I have seen ZEV and PZEV cars being favored by certain states the past 3 years.

My current ride was originally sold in 50 states, but as of 2020, only being sold within CA and OR.

The ZEV credits for CA is huge so the profitability of my Clarity made it too easy for Honda to only sell in CA ultimately (2021 and 2022 MY); although Honda said they are 50 state available.

Customers in the western states generally accept and adopt EV and alternative fuel platform vehicles compared to the other states where they are not...

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Letter carrier
Ford is a nationwide brand and will do a nationwide rollout. Simple as that.
Sponsored