• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning "Flash" is on the Way

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Say it aint so :eek: Not sure if this was posted before

Ford 'F-150 Flash' trademark suggests high-performance Lightning is near
We're expecting a widebody truck with big power from upsized electric motors

On another one of its regular scans through U.S. Patent and Trademark Office application filings, CarBuzz found a record for "F-150 Flash" Fordrequested rights to the name for the purpose of "automobiles, pickup trucks, electric vehicles, sport utility vehicles, and their structural parts." The expectation is that this is how we'll refer to the Ford F-150 Lightning demonstrator the automaker teased in February. The peek we got then showed a new bumper with two giant intakes above a jutting front lip, and widebody status activated immediately, said bumper flowing into a huge front wheel arch. A racy front wheel poked out from under the tarp, a non-production side mirror and sail panel with a spoiler in the bed made themselves known from under the tarp.

We've seen a few Ford EV demonstrators in a few configurations so far, one of them just blistered the tarmac up Pikes Peak. Ford engineers fine tuning the tri-motor electric SuperVan 4.2 in Colorado weren't sure the 50-kWh battery would last a full run to the 14,115-foot summit. PilotRomain Dumas didn't just make it up the hill, he put the 1,400-hp van in second on the final timesheets. Winner Robin Shute drove his Unlimited Class 2018 Wolf TSC-FS to the checkered flag in 8:40.080, Dumas behind in the Open Class SuperVan at 8:47.682. The third-place finisher was 30 seconds behind Dumas.

As for the Lightning demonstrator, it's already been spotted on a trailer, shrink-wrapped in black plastic. All that could be seen was another hint of a wheel and a slice of a much larger rear motor than is fitted to production versions. The 580 hp and 775 pound-feet of torque in the standard F-150 Lightning are about to get smoked. Ford's connection to Red Bull Racing — the carmaker brought Red Bull reserve driver Daniel Ricciardo in for the teaser shot, and enters the F1 World Championship in 2026 — makes us hope there's more involved in the transformation to Flash than just a body kit and larger motors. A DRS wing on that sail panel would be pretty cool, after all.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/07/03...-suggests-high-performance-lightning-is-near/

Shrink wrapped Lightning

https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/high-performance-ford-f-150-lightning-spotted-for-first-time/
Sponsored

sen7inel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, Model Y
Occupation
IT
We have a truck that can already smoke 98% of anything that's out there off the line. Instead of focusing on improving the glaring quality of life oversights lets instead pour resources into building a niche halo vehicle that nobody needs....

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
We have a truck that can already smoke 98% of anything that's out there off the line. Instead of focusing on improving the glaring quality of life oversights lets instead pour resources into building a niche halo vehicle that nobody needs....
Yea but it can only smoke 50% of the electric trucks out there. Which in the USA is a failing grade. This is a necessity…for America.

0-60 in 1.0s. Octo motors. Top speed of 150mph. 600kWh battery. 40 miles of range.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yea but it can only smoke 50% of the electric trucks out there. Which in the USA is a failing grade. This is a necessity…for America.

0-60 in 1.0s. Octo motors. Top speed of 150mph. 600kWh battery. 40 miles of range.
You forgot 4 wheel steering!

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
How about an air suspension? That’s missing!

flrsb62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
It's about time. Ford is missing an entire market. Many people want a high performance truck. Why does Ford insist on building a truck for the masses just be subsided by Biden.. Tesla has 1,000,000 trucks on order. Ford cannot sell the ones they have built. The lightning is a superior platform. Let's add some real power and have some fun.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It's about time. Ford is missing an entire market. Many people want a high performance truck. Why does Ford insist on building a truck for the masses just be subsided by Biden.. Tesla has 1,000,000 trucks on order. Ford cannot sell the ones they have built. The lightning is a superior platform. Let's add some real power and have some fun.
Tesla has Reservations, not orders and most likely less than 1 million will convert to an order

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
What's about time? The Flash turned out to just be the XLT ER with the Lariat/Plat size screen. A total waste of time IMO, the draw to the XLT was to get an ER with the smaller screen, and the Flash makes that impossible.

Oh, and it has a heat pump, so small gain.

Flash is a waste of effort on Ford's part. An unnecessary bundling of features that have no logical reason for being bundled. I do agree that in the truck space, lightning is superior, just wish we had some features like the R1t to decouple the front engine and lower the height for some efficiency gains.

flrsb62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I may have ignorant to what the flash is. I just want a premium truck with some excessive performance. If 1/2 the people cancel the Tesla (Ugly truck) that is still way more than Ford could muscle up. I love my Lightning. I could care less about a cheap Pro version. The market should adjust its self not be fabricated by some illusion we are ready for bunch of EV's, we are not. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I may have ignorant to what the flash is. I just want a premium truck with some excessive performance. If 1/2 the people cancel the Tesla (Ugly truck) that is still way more than Ford could muscle up. I love my Lightning. I could care less about a cheap Pro version. The market should adjust its self not be fabricated by some illusion we are ready for bunch of EV's, we are not. Just my 2 cents.
Just but the Tesla Cybertruck. Ford could build so something Faster, maybe even a Shelby version but they won’t. Enjoy the Cybertruck.

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Flash, Model Y Performance
Off the top of my head, the Flash also has these standard features vs ‘23 XLT:
B&O sound system
Heat pump
Intelligent Adaptive cruise control
Large screen
Wireless charging pad
Heated steering wheel
Tow tech package

Others?

I see the Flash as being more of a Lariat without the sun roof and leather seats.

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Off the top of my head, the Flash also has these standard features vs ‘23 XLT:
B&O sound system
Heat pump
Intelligent Adaptive cruise control
Large screen
Wireless charging pad
Heated steering wheel
Tow tech package

Others?

I see the Flash as being more of a Lariat without the sun roof and leather seats.
To get the ER for the XLT required the upgrade to 312 which included the ACC and heated stearing wheel. So those aren't really differentiators. Is Tow tech standard in the Flash? It was an option I passed on to keep the price at the time below the rebate limit.

I think what the Flash really represents to me is a completely unnecessary bundling of a tech package with a drive-train package (extended range battery). It drives the cost of going to ER up way beyond the cost of the additional battery modules.
Sponsored