• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is regenerative braking active while on BlueCruise?

Marcelo Zanetti

First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150; Ford F-150 Lightning; Ford Explorer;
Occupation
Electrician
Hi there Folks,
Just want to ask a question I've always wondered.
Dos anyone knows if the regenerative braking is active and works while on Blue Cruise? I know while not on Blue Cruise, we must be on "one foot drive" for the regenerative braking to work, but the one foot drive icon disappears once Blue Cruise is activated, hence the question.
TIA for the feedback,

Marcelo
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I know while not on Blue Cruise, we must be on "one foot drive" for the regenerative braking to work,
This is already incorrect. Ford does blended braking. As long as you aren't braking harder than the regen motors can handle, you will be using all regen down to a near stop where the disc brakes kick in at the last moment. Switch your dash to the "power distribution" screen, I think it's called, and even in 2-pedal mode, you'll see the regen doing it's work.

I don't have BC, so I can't answer your question, but I'm almost positive that it would use regen before disc whenever possible.

OP
OP

Marcelo Zanetti

First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
This is already incorrect. Ford does blended braking. As long as you aren't braking harder than the regen motors can handle, you will be using all regen down to a near stop where the disc brakes kick in at the last moment. Switch your dash to the "power distribution" screen, I think it's called, and even in 2-pedal mode, you'll see the regen doing it's work.

I don't have BC, so I can't answer your question, but I'm almost positive that it would use regen before disc whenever possible.
Thanks for your answer and for correcting me. So if I understood you correctly, when we have the one foot drive off and brake normally with the brake pedal, does it still uses the regenerative braking up to a full stop when the mechanical brakes engages?

OP
OP

Marcelo Zanetti

First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
And to answer the base question, yes, it does. I have gone down a long grade while BC was operational, and was able to observe regen occurring.

Thanks Harold, I thought this would only make sense, but didn't know for sure...

Sponsored

IT Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks for your answer and for correcting me. So if I understood you correctly, when we have the one foot drive off and brake normally with the brake pedal, does it still uses the regenerative braking up to a full stop when the mechanical brakes engages?
That will depend on how hard you are braking. If only lightly braking you will barely use the actual brakes at all. You can turn on brake coach and get a feel for how it works.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That will depend on how hard you are breaking. If only lightly breaking you will barely use the actual breaks at all. You can turn on break coach and get a feel for how it works.
braking, brakes, brake coach

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
there is not really a 'regenerative Braking', it is really only 'regeneration'(the motor is helping to slow the vehicle, but it is not 'braking')...
PHYSICAL BRAKING is braking, at least by our historical terms. Physically applying a pad to a rotor, etc.

Your truck, or any EV, will allow Regeneration ONLY when you come off of the power pedal.
Your truck will provide PHYSICAL BRAKING, automatically, with One-Pedal feature ON, when the regeneration's slowing gets the truck's speed to a certain point...bring it to a complete stop.
Your truck will have regeneration happening, even in cruise, adaptive cruise, or blueCruise, when you turn OFF cruise, when Adaptive Cruise/blueCruise sees a slowing vehicle ahead, or when either need to 'slow' on a downhill grade to keep at the set MPH.

Many of us have tested the Physical Braking action/moments by looking at our rear brake lights, especially at night, when coming off the power pedal, no matter what 'mode' you are in. The brake lights activate WHEN the physical brakes are applied, and only then. This will help you understand that regeneration is the PRIMARY slowing action, and braking is only applied 'as needed'.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Your truck, or any EV, will allow Regeneration ONLY when you come off of the power pedal.
This is accurate, but worded in a confusing way. It can be read as "even in 2 pedal mode the brake pedal does nothing towards regeneration", when in-fact it adjusts how much regeneration is being done.

To be clear to the OP, when 2-pedal driving, letting off the gas has you lightly regenerating slowing the truck down some. Applying the brake pedal increases the amount of regen until you max out what the motor(s) can recoup, at which point disk brakes start to be applied. Some EVs handle the specifics differently, I am specifically speaking to how Ford F150L and MachE do it.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I let the truck do what it's going to do... no matter.

I drive almost exclusively in SPORT mode, even if towing. I like it. Makes the best sense for 'me'.

I almost NEVER use one-pedal mode, unless there are very infrequent situations where a lot of 'stop-n-go' is happening, and stop lights, with no vehicle in front of me.

I DO like the stop-n-go function WITHIN the Adaptive Cruise feature, when in heavy traffic, with stop-n-go, as well. It does all the 'leg work', and follows the vehicle in front quite nicely.

I ALWAYS have Auto Hold employed. I like it. I don't use it when in automated car washes : )

but, that's just me. Everyone, yes everyone, though, has different likes and needs.
There is no 'best'. It's just what YOU prefer.

bananaslug79

First Name
Samas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sparky" 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Self employed
For a real world example, we drive up and over the Appalachians quite often via I-81 and I use BC as often as possible. While trucking UP the mountain, Sparky is chugging through those electrons to hulk itself to the top; when cruising DOWN the mountain, I've watched the battery percentage actually go back UP from the lost percentage it used to climb. If that's not regen in some way, I guess the Lightning is magic! 😁
Sponsored