• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Slow speed down hill braking - Hard on the Brakes!

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Everyone! 2000 miles on my truck and still LOVING it! Yesterday I was coming down a steep rutted dirt road towing a ~3K pound trailer with its own electric brakes. The road was about a mile long and ends in a gate at the bottom. I was on the brake pedal the whole way down keeping the speed at 2-4mph. I noticed no regeneration showing on my dash on the way down- but didnt think much of it. I got to the bottom to open the gate and had a strong smell of hot brakes at the bottom. I verified the trailer brakes were working- at least as good as they ever do.

Im not sure where (in speed) the re-gen provides braking but it was apparent to me I was getting a bunch of braking power from the physical brakes at this low speed. In my F350 I can put the truck in 1st gear (of the automatic tranny) and get to the bottom with no hot brake smell. I don't see any way to do that in the Lightening.

Anyway, FYI to any of you with a similar long down hill at low speed. Im glad I didnt have another few thousand pounds in the trailer.

steve
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Seems strange to not see any regen. Maybe try it in one pedal mode next time?

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Were you driving in normal mode or tow mode?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
If in tow mode, the regen is substantially suppressed, though it is supposed to complement the friction brakes as you apply them, might want to check the gain calibration for the trailer brakes so they help with the burden, possibly you have it set low and the Lightnings friction brakes were working harder.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
If in tow mode, the regen is substantially suppressed, though it is supposed to complement the friction brakes as you apply them, might want to check the gain calibration for the trailer brakes so they help with the burden, possibly you have it set low and the Lightnings friction brakes were working harder.
Agreed. Could be that with your prior truck, by down-shifting with a light trailer, you just didn't need the trailer's brakes. That being said, it is also a concern of mine. It seems to me like Ford should program a high-regen mode for down-hill towing, that raises regen as much as possible, to make up for lack of down-shifting. AND re-gear the truck in future years, such that it tows better, range and down-hill. The insane acceleration is nice, but poor towing is what people are talking about "on the street" when I talk to folks.

And when I tow, I hope it is not going to let me down!

Sponsored
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
My superduty’s have a suckie gui for programming the trailer brakes. If you pull multiple trailers you can name them and just have to select from a menu which one you are hooking up. But, creating the name is like old T9 texting. I have not checked my Lightning but there’s a separate screen on the super duty’s to pick the trailer brake type. You probably know this already but, Make sure the setting is correct: electric or electric over hydraulic. Mine don’t have a setting for neither, ie, dynamic.
and. If you Ever replace the truck brain, you loose all your saved settings and trailer info.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
Regen cuts out about 5 mph. You were driving to slow.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space

Sponsored
OP
OP

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
So I guess the regen brake system won't overheat? You just get a lot of charge coming down from 14,000 ft!
Sponsored