• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

K02s on Powerboost

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm going to jet the stock Pirelli ATRs on my Powerboost Lariat to get something better for the snow. Although I live in NorCal, where it doesn't snow, I'll be going up to Tahoe 5-10x per year, and it can be extreme there. I'm deciding between BFG K02s and Cooper AT3 4s. I realize they're different, and the Coopers are probably a bit better for general highway use. They are both three-peak rated. The Coopers weigh about 44# each and the K02s about 55# each. In this size, they are D-rated (I don't want E). But I like the toughness and look of the K02s, and they have to be somewhat streetable, as they are stock on a Raptor. I understand the noise on the K02s is a bit worse than the stock tires, but not awful, and I can live with that. Do you think the K02s are too aggressive and is it a mistake to go with them?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Got many thousands of miles on KO2's on my previous 2018 Ecoboost F150. 20" King Ranch wheels. ~34.6" diameter tires.

They are actually very quiet for what they are. Especially the first couple of years while they are fresh. They are heavier than pure street tires but with ~600lbs of torque on that amazing Powerboost? Not gonna be a problem.

Great tires for towing too.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157ā€
Occupation
Fuel Container
I had KO2s on my 2015 F150, and am having KO2s (285/65/R20) installed on my 2021 Powerboost tomorrow. Noise is not really a concern. As winter tires they are good. However, on ice they are mediocre compared to better dedicated winter tires. I donā€™t have any experience with Cooper truck tires, but had a set of winters on a car that were terrible and turned me off the brand.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
There a ton of reviews on tirerack.com as well as much discussion on the 4runner and Tacoma discussion forums where swapping to K02s is very common. I did a fair amount of research and decided on K02s for a relatives vehicle that will be used for off-roading in the Southwest, I have driven it around town and the all terrain tread pattern is not ideal for pavement, there's enough vibration to notice through the steering wheel and no doubt stopping and cornering are compromised.

From the personal accounts that I read, it seemed to be the conclusion that they were good off road but not the best choice for rain or snow. While all anecdotal, I tend to believe it because the K02s tend to get cult status on the Toyota forums and everybody seemed ready to admit that they weren't impressed at all by their performance in the rain and some people were pretty disappointed.

If most of your driving is going to be on asphalt, you're not going to be best served by any tire with an all terrain tread pattern.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
I ran BFG KO2's ON MY 2015 F150 EB FX4 and loved them. Road noise at highway speed is not hardly any louder than stock. Pavement type/condition has a LOT to do with noise.
Snow traction was great, air down a bit in deep stuff. I found them good in the rain, the truck felt way more stable at speed in the rain. The wider contact patch helped vs the stock Goodyear tires.
I will be swapping my stock tires for BFG KO2's as soon as I can.

Sponsored

Nickpcrna

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
What size ko2s are you guys going with. Tow a bit so rather not level

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I've read a ton on the K02s and decided against them. I love the way they look but ultimately I will almost never go off road and don't want to live with the extra weight (+ 11# per tire)/decreased mileage and noise. Even though people say they are fairly quiet for an AT, looking at the tread pattern, I don't see how they can't be significantly louder than stock tires. And there are many reports of these tires getting loud when partially worn. Overall my sense is that they are outstanding tires if you need something that can go off road, but I don't.

So back to my need: I want a quiet, long-wearing tire that looks good and is better in the wet and solid in the snow vs. the OEM Pirelli ATRs. I'm still considering the Cooper 4S, but I'm also looking into the Bridgestone Revo 3s and the Geolanders. The Coopers and Geolanders are three-peak snow rated, and the Revos aren't, though they are considered good in the snow.

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm in the same boat. I've narrowed it down to Toyo Open Country A/T III vs BFG KO2. Most reviews I've read say that the BFG is better off road and the Toyo is better on road with better wear going to Toyo.

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I decided on the Geolanders. They are supposed to be excellent in the rain and dry, quiet and good economy (they weigh the same as the OEM Pirellis), good in the snow, and look decent. I was going to order them from TireRack but on a whim called the Ford dealer, as I need to bring the truck in to fix the air dam. The dealer is logistically easier for me, cheaper than TireRack, and will also give me an additional $70 or 30k FordPass points.

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
I'm in the same boat. I've narrowed it down to Toyo Open Country A/T III vs BFG KO2. Most reviews I've read say that the BFG is better off road and the Toyo is better on road with better wear going to Toyo.
Iā€™ve got KO2ā€™s that still practically look new with 15k miles and 14-15/32nd tread on them mounted on Fuel Rebels sitting in my garage ready to go, but I think Iā€™m going to ditch them and try the A/T IIIā€™s instead. I found that they made for a pretty harsh ride and knocked my mileage down considerably on my ā€˜20. Maybe I was overinflated @ 40-42 psi, but I really didnā€™t care for them.
Sponsored