• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning 20" AT vs AS tire option. Does anyone have info about these tires?

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Raptor ‘21 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Pilot
So I have my order in for Lariat ER but I'm struggling to choose which tire to pick and there is virtually no information I can find about the two. The only thing the dealer knows is that they are the same size tire. I'd love to know if you lose any range with the AT and if noise is an issue. My truck is almost exclusively a pavement queen but I loved the KO2's on my raptor and the noise wasn't an issue for me.
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
My 2019 Platinum came with the Hankook Dynapro AT2. They are an AT tire but not aggressive and ride smooth. I would assume the Lightning AT would be a similar tire.

OP
OP
SeanOC

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Raptor ‘21 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Pilot
My 2019 Platinum came with the Hankook Dynapro AT2. They are an AT tire but not aggressive and ride smooth. I would assume the Lightning AT would be a similar tire.
I know tire manufactures are making tires specifically for EV's, often with foam or other inserts to reduce road noise. My wife's Tesla has them.. I would think Ford is being very particular about which tires it uses on the lightning.. I would love to know if there is a difference in range between the two.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The prototypes going around had these as well. From what I have been about to find, they don't have the best snow performance, so I was leaning more towards the A/S tires (General Grabbers is what they had on the Prototypes).

I love my KO2s as well - though they do kill range / mileage.

Azbittel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had Fallen Wildpeak AT3s on my last 2 trucks and they're great. No noise issues, last a long time, and never got me stuck. I went with the AT on my Lightning due to marginal cost, but will probably go back to the AT3s when necessary. Idc about range so long as I maintain the 200 my AWD Mach E gets.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've had Fallen Wildpeak AT3s on my last 2 trucks and they're great. No noise issues, last a long time, and never got me stuck. I went with the AT on my Lightning due to marginal cost, but will probably go back to the AT3s when necessary. Idc about range so long as I maintain the 200 my AWD Mach E gets.
Did you go with an ER or SR Lightning? Some AT tires could mean up to a 20% range hit, which would put the SR below the 200 mile mark (in good conditions)

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
The prototypes going around had these as well. From what I have been about to find, they don't have the best snow performance, so I was leaning more towards the A/S tires (General Grabbers is what they had on the Prototypes).

I love my KO2s as well - though they do kill range / mileage.
I do not have any complaints about snow performance. Usually just use 4A in snow events. When I go to our cabin, some times need other 4wd modes in deeper snow, but never got stuck.
Had the AT3s on my Gladiator, and liked those as well.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I do not have any complaints about snow performance. Usually just use 4A in snow events. When I go to our cabin, some times need other 4wd modes in deeper snow, but never got stuck.
Had the AT3s on my Gladiator, and liked those as well.
Thanks for the input

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Did you go with an ER or SR Lightning? Some AT tires could mean up to a 20% range hit, which would put the SR below the 200 mile mark (in good conditions)
I ordered the AT tire as well just because of the marginal cost and hope the tread will be a bit more aggressive, but Ford doesn't change any specs of the truck when you choose that tire. I believe they've had this AT created to get the same or very near the same rolling resistance as the standard tire. I would agree that true aftermarket tire like a BF Goodrich AT would likely put a big hit on the range, but hoping this factory tire does not. I think Ford would need to disclose this when selecting the AT tire.

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
I ordered the extended range Lariat, and there was only one option for rims/tires. Figured I might want to put a little larger rim/tire for the look after delivery though. The truck will be for work, and that will result in less than 150 Miles driven per day, and probably less than 75 most days. So any reasonable range hit wont be a concern. Looking like I drive a truck that consistently skips leg day IS a concern however. Will puting TRUCK tires and larger rims on this truck actually work?

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You can change the rims out, but I would suggest changing the whole wheel.

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
You can change the rims out, but I would suggest changing the whole wheel.
Would or would NOT? What do you mean by 'the whole wheel". I would consider changing the rims and tires, but I would not want to undertake finding a new hub or rotor assembly, or adding much of a lift. I don't want a monster truck, but I would like a little beefier look and maybe a little better traction on the unpaved roads/area I'll take it on.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
I ordered the extended range Lariat, and there was only one option for rims/tires. Figured I might want to put a little larger rim/tire for the look after delivery though. The truck will be for work, and that will result in less than 150 Miles driven per day, and probably less than 75 most days. So any reasonable range hit wont be a concern. Looking like I drive a truck that consistently skips leg day IS a concern however. Will puting TRUCK tires and larger rims on this truck actually work?

Just like a larger tire reduces gas mileage a larger tire will reduce range. Also, there are no motor sounds and aggressive tires make noise.

Personally I've been driving wide tires for a couple years now and I'm stoked to go back to normal ATs.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Rivian forecast a 10-15% range hit for AT tires which definitely seems to be in the ballpark. I took around a 5% hit when going from 19" LRR to 20" performance all seasons on my Model S. Tire noise went up slightly, but it's not offensive on the performance A/S.

I run Firestone Destination A/Ts on my Ridgeline and they are very capable tires in all conditions, but my mileage has always been terrible, usually 14-17 which is 5-20% lower than advertised. I only put a few thousand miles on the truck each year, so no big deal on the wallet, and of course range isn't really a concern with a gas vehicle.

I might be willing to take the range penalty going from LRR to a standard truck tire (LRRs felt arguably dangerous on my Tesla, especially under braking) but I don't think I could stomach the predicted hit of an A/T tire unless I drove short distances and needed the grip, at least until the DCFC infrastructure is a little more robust.

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Looking at Tire Rack today, I see that the 2022 F150 lightning is now available as a vehicle selection. Filtering by the 20” option, and OEM, shows an AS tire that is the Good Year Wrangler Territory HT and the AT options as the Hankook Dynapro AT2 or Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
Sponsored