• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Don't see this posted yet - the Lightning does very well for its size.

Thanks @OutofSpecKyle and Jordan.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
It was surprising to see how much bigger the Lightning is. Also, although I do realize both trucks were not on the most efficient tires.wheels.. but will the delta between the two be similar in the most efficient option?

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
One of the interesting things I thought about was the GPS discrepancy.

I am surprised that cars don't use the GPS to calibrate the ratio of the speedometer. That is, they don't use the GPS to determine speed as it won't work everywhere, but rather, use the GPS to keep the ratio of the wheels to speed up to date. This way, when you changed tires, you would not need to install a physical speedo adjustment. Guess that adds too much cost.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I am surprised that cars don't use the GPS to calibrate the ratio of the speedometer. That is, they don't use the GPS to determine speed as it won't work everywhere, but rather, use the GPS to keep the ratio of the wheels to speed up to date
Rivian 100% should be able to be better. It has two insanely accurate GPS units on board because they are using the truck to map trails as well.

Probably just not a priority.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Both of those trucks are beautiful. I'm so glad there is competition too, to keep them advancing against each other.

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
You can spoof GPS, then just make the speed zero and you are ‘rolling back’ the odometer! Several SDR radios, pretty cheap to boot.
Of course, using an SDR to spoof GPS would also play havoc with anyone nearby (including you) who were trying to use GPS navigation. Probably throw off any clock sync too.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
As they note in the video, it’s difficult to gauge the true efficiency without instrumentation but just based on the total energy delivered from the charger it appears the Lightning is about 5% less efficient. Not too bad!
Even after seeing the Rivian and Lightning in a bunch of pictures, i was still a little surprised how much bigger the Lightning is. Ford’s drive system mist be a fair bit more efficient than Rivian.
Sponsored