• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Need help trying to figure out how I can use my Lightning off grid.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I don’t think you have ANY idea what off the grid is. I think you’re just making stuff up as you go to be honest. Being off the grid in the broadest term means not having grid tied systems. The grid meaning government services such as plumping, electrical, water, trash and sewage. It doesn’t mean you can’t buy fuel from a gas station, or groceries from Walmart, or pay a private internet provider to stay connected to the outside world. Being off grid does not mean being a hermit. You’re sincerely ignorant to think that and project your ignorance on others as gospel. You’re telling people who live off grid what off grid means. Do you not see how backwards that is?
If one is tied to those things you call the grid, then how is one off the grid. Don't call me names.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
If one is tied to those things you call the grid, then how is one off the grid. Don't call me names.
I’m not tied to any of those things. I have my own septic system, I have my own electrical system, I have my own water supply, and I have my own trash disposal. I have zero dependence on government services to live my day to day. I shop at private establishments no different than if I were trading with my neighbor for stuff.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I’m not tied to any of those things. I have my own septic system, I have my own electrical system, I have my own water supply, and I have my own trash disposal. I have zero dependence on government services to live my day to day. I shop at private establishments no different than if I were trading with my neighbor for stuff.
Thank you.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I have a good sized solar system now that has no problem charging my Lightning Pro ER.
OK, before we got sidetracked I was following this thread hoping more information would come out on this topic. Perhaps it was covered on other threads, but I haven't found it.

What system do you use to recharge your Lightning off of your solar system? Is your battery backup system necessary? Does your solar system provide 240 volt, 50 amp power?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, before we got sidetracked I was following this thread hoping more information would come out on this topic. Perhaps it was covered on other threads, but I haven't found it.

What system do you use to recharge your Lightning off of your solar system? Is your battery backup system necessary? Does your solar system provide 240 volt, 50 amp power?

Thanks!
I use 2 solark 12k inverters with 8 130ah discovery batteries. My battery system is necessary as it’s how I power my house. I have 3 240v 50a outlets on my property. One for an Rv hookup, another for my dryer, and another to charge my lightning. I didn’t get the 30amp bed plug on my lightning and now I’m trying to figure out a way to charge my solar batteries with a 120v on the truck. It’s not much power but our usual power consumption at night is about 900-1200 watts at any time. So if for whatever reason I didn’t get a full charge to my solar batteries that day, I can plug the lightning in and have enough power to get us through the night, and have the sun charge up our solar batteries the next day, as well as the truck. It’s very rare where I’m at that the sun goes away for days on end.

Sponsored

bluebaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I use 2 solark 12k inverters with 8 130ah discovery batteries. My battery system is necessary as it’s how I power my house. I have 3 240v 50a outlets on my property. One for an Rv hookup, another for my dryer, and another to charge my lightning. I didn’t get the 30amp bed plug on my lightning and now I’m trying to figure out a way to charge my solar batteries with a 120v on the truck. It’s not much power but our usual power consumption at night is about 900-1200 watts at any time. So if for whatever reason I didn’t get a full charge to my solar batteries that day, I can plug the lightning in and have enough power to get us through the night, and have the sun charge up our solar batteries the next day, as well as the truck. It’s very rare where I’m at that the sun goes away for days on end.
We have 4 12K Solarks in parallel.

Originally we used the pro power 30 amp outlet plugged into our gas generator socket. That worked pretty well but did mean we had to flip the transfer switch shutting power off for a few seconds to our property.

Just finished all the wiring to connect to the Grid Input terminals in the Solarks instead. This has been a great improvement. The Solarks simply switch over to the pro power if the batteries start getting low. There is no interruption to the power supply to the house. Once the batteries have sufficient charge (from solar or from the truck) the Solarks switch back to Solar/battery.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We have 4 12K Solarks in parallel.

Originally we used the pro power 30 amp outlet plugged into our gas generator socket. That worked pretty well but did mean we had to flip the transfer switch shutting power off for a few seconds to our property.

Just finished all the wiring to connect to the Grid Input terminals in the Solarks instead. This has been a great improvement. The Solarks simply switch over to the pro power if the batteries start getting low. There is no interruption to the power supply to the house. Once the batteries have sufficient charge (from solar or from the truck) the Solarks switch back to Solar/battery.
We use the grid input for our generator on our Solarks and that’s what I would use if I could get 240v from the truck.

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
We use the grid input for our generator on our Solarks and that’s what I would use if I could get 240v from the truck.
Maybe you could try a step-up converter. Plug the converter into the truck 110 volt and get 240 volt out of the converter and connect that to grid input.
Sponsored