• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

need suggestions for alternate ev

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
but not for reason you would expect, have a may build week.

between kid #3 coming soon, current gas prices, her irrational aversion to fill up her own gas and always waiting for me to do it - my wife is now convinced that she needs a large ev that can take 3 car seats in a row, comfortably.

she keeps joking and dropping hints she wants my lightning. but i'm sure many of you married guys can attest, we all know where this is going.

what can i offer up to keep her hands off lightning? is tesla model y the only real option for large ev available now? she's in an x7 now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For now you are really limited to the Model Y or model X if you have 3 car seats. Rivian R1S is on the way (but a ways out if you aren't already in line) and the new VW ID Buzz, but that doesn't come to the US until 2024. Could also go for the Hummer, but that is way up there in price.

Maybe retrofit a Transit EV with seats and an interior? Range is low though.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I am looking at the Pacifica PHEV myself for road trips as I'm skeptical of charger availability during holiday travel periods on i95. Its tough enough to find a gas station not overrun with people...I can only imagine what EV chargers are going to look like as there are more EVs on the road in the next few years.

So yes, I would vote for the Pacifica as well...

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another option is possibly the Fisker Ocean.. the reason I mention it is they are estimating range to be 350mi.

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
There aren't any great LARGE EVs at the moment, I think. I wouldn't consider a Y large at least. Our ID.4 can hold three car seats, but we've only regularly been using two since buying it and are down to just a booster now. We haven't needed to put one in rear-facing. I've also seen pictures of MME with three car seats in the rear. Both seem tight to me, but I think if we were in Europe no one would think twice.

I'd highly recommend looking at a plug-in minivan if you're expecting to be using car seats on all three kids for quite a while still. If one or two kids will graduate to boosters soon then the ID.4 or MME might be worth looking into. Recently saw an Ioniq 5 and it was smaller than expected. My wife definitely loves the convenience of leaving the garage with a full charge and we hate going to fill up the Escape. Completely understand your wife's desire to just go to an EV. Our energy costs are so inconsequential here that its a no-brainer. The gas hikes just reinforced that.

If you can find an ID.4 or MME on a lot to go look at, then I'd say go for it. Downside on ID.4 may also be cargo space if she's going to take a mega stroller. Its not exactly a small hatch, but you know how bulky a stroller can get. Roof racks are easy to take on/off too, which is a positive over the MME, I believe. My wife also loves the tight turning radius for parking. I don't think she's been happy with any other vehicle in that regard since her beetle back in the day.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Volvo xc90 recharge extended (extended is new for second half of 2022 with a bigger battery and more EV power). PHEV with lots of power, safety, comfort. The extended has a 150hp rear end (EV on the back, turbo/supercharged 2.0 driving the front). 18 kWh battery, though I do t know how much is useable. Probably 25 to 30 miles of EV range. Not as big as the Pacifica, but three across the middle should be easy enough. Otherwise it is model y or model x.

OP
OP

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
Volvo xc90 recharge extended (extended is new for second half of 2022 with a bigger battery and more EV power). PHEV with lots of power, safety, comfort. The extended has a 150hp rear end (EV on the back, turbo/supercharged 2.0 driving the front). 18 kWh battery, though I do t know how much is useable. Probably 25 to 30 miles of EV range. Not as big as the Pacifica, but three across the middle should be easy enough. Otherwise it is model y or model x.
she was in an xc90 before the current x7, loved the xc90. i'll do some researching on own of course but is this rechange extended something one could get their hands on in near term or waitlist type situation?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
she was in an xc90 before the current x7, loved the xc90. i'll do some researching on own of course but is this rechange extended something one could get their hands on in near term or waitlist type situation?
I'm not sure. Last time I checked our local dealer had one or two. We have a 2016 xc90T8 phev with about 6kwh usable battery and 87 hp EV drive motor. As little ng as it isn't too cold (50ish degrees) the car can be driven EV for 12-16 miles at sub 50moh speeds. I am in the Burlington VT area and don't need to drive on the highway, spring through summer it is a low power short range EV for me. Including trips to Ohio to visit the in-laws our overall fuel consumption over 32500 miles we have used 580 gallons of fuel. My best tank was 168mpg (1900 miles). Every summer there is at least one tank in the 100+mpg range. I still want a full EV. We have an xc40 EV that my wife drives most of the time and I get occasionally (220 miles range 402 hp). Would the bmw X5 phev work for you? Their newest model xdrive45e looks to have decent all electric range, though it lacks a third row. I have no experience with it, but the previous model my ade my short list when we purchased the xc90. We have had a plug in car since 2013 (2013 volt, 2016 xc90 phev, 2019 Bolt, 2022 xc40 EV, 2022 lightning on order) and I don't want a car without one again. The only time filling up the gas tank is not a drag is in long car trips.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ironic..today there was news released on the xc90 refresh with a larger battery-->more Electric power-->more range. Now Volvo estimates range of up to 35mi. (455hp)

Volvo Doubles Electric Range Estimates for 2022 Plug-in Models (newsweek.com)

2022 Volvo Plug-In Hybrids to Gain Electric Range and Horsepower (caranddriver.com)

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
while we wait on the Lightning, which is certainly a LARGE suv that can do ANYTHING(other than carry more than 5, unless you want to ride in the 'back'!), my wife deserved a new vehicle, too - her needs are for 3-row seating, heated seats and wheel, and leather. My requirements were that it was an EV, and maybe a good color choice, like Silver or Black, AND that amazing Panormaic FULL sunroof, with Full Sliding Cover.

Well, the problem is the 3-row seating - ain't gonna happen. Well, it ain't for any current EV, unless you consider the Model Y - that's too long a wait, and probably way too much money. So, the search was on for a 'while we wait for a full EV' vehicle - the only real option in the market today was the 1/2 electric KIA SORENTO PHEV Sx Prestige.
I searched and searched for one 'in stock', which is VERY difficult, but finally fell into the PERFECT one in central Ohio.
I drove 750 miles to pick it up, after doing the LEASE paperwork online/email and making sure there would be nothing standing in the way of simply grabbing the 'key fobs' and leaving the dealership.

My wife LOVES LOVES LOVES this car!
Leather, heated EVERYTHING, and my New FAVORITE: air conditioned seats!
The panoramic roof is simply amazing, and the 'self driving' lane assist and adaptive cruise control make long distance travel, anywhere, a LOT more comfortable. The Silky Silver color and beautiful gray interior is special, along with KIA's new Logo on the front, and all trim in brushed aluminum. We LEASED only since we know the EV market has not yet matured, and in three years, we'll easily drop this car back off at KIA, and if KIA doesn't have the FULL EV three-row seater with all these same amenities, AND 500 miles of range, we'll find a dealer down the street that does.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I was going to say Model X but DAMN the price on that thing has really gone through the roof. $115k sticker price and 14 month delivery time? Forget that. Sounds like a PHEV is the way to go unless you want to wait a long time for a bigger EV. I'd wait for a three row EV because those kids don't stay in car seats for very long...

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I have a Model X which the Lightning will replace. The 3rd row is ONLY for midgets. You "can" put car seats back there but it takes some Bronze medal gymnastics to do that.

For current EVs, you really dont have a choice. You get a 2nd Lightning . . .

For future EVs, you might look at the Lucid Gravity.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I haven't looked at PHEVs at all, looks like there is a Lincoln Aviator PHEV but only 21 miles of electric range. PHEVs are definitely more dependent on use case. It looks like for the larger PHEVs the XC90 has pretty good all electric range with an 18.8kWh battery vs 13.6kWh in the Lincoln and 16kWh in the Pacifica.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't looked at PHEVs at all, looks like there is a Lincoln Aviator PHEV but only 21 miles of electric range. PHEVs are definitely more dependent on use case. It looks like for the larger PHEVs the XC90 has pretty good all electric range with an 18.8kWh battery vs 13.6kWh in the Lincoln and 16kWh in the Pacifica.
FWIW the Pacifica is Front wheel drive and lighter than the new(improved) xc90 phev with awd and a whopping 450hp

The Pacifica and xc90 both will get you 32-35mi of EV range despite the xc90 having a larger battery.
Sponsored