• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford needs a 7 passanger SUV EV STAT!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Not exactly the same. Ford was very careful to say "starting at $39k" and "targeting 300mi".

Honestly, anyone who thought they would get a pickup with 300mi range at $39k needs a reality check. I mean, the compact Chevy Bolt was selling for the mid $30s. Totally unrealistic expectation.

Also, it was eveident early on there was going to be a std range variant Lightning and an extended range Lightning.

Volvo has to at least keep it real with the Audi eTron and BMW ix in that market. (Also Rivian iX).
I hope you’re right….I’ll keep my expectations low in hopes of a pleasant surprise!
Sponsored

OP
OP

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
With the commercials I have been seeing on the aviator EV, they may be pushing that as a part of their family first. While I agree that there are SUVs out there (we are looking for an EV SUV as well), The large format SUV is still early. I think Ford is battery constrained with F-150 Lightnings and Mach E's taking off. It makes more sense for Ford to go bigger sooner with the high price points (aviator, Navigator, Expedition, Explorer) as they get more profit without the quantity of batteries. I think its the same reason you see Land Rover starting with the Full Range Rover and Defender. The BMW iX is looking better and better as well. I was surprised at how many options there are in SUVs. If your willing to wait 2 years, they should be considerably cheaper with all the battery plants finishing up. WIll be a buyers market at that point...
Many are opting for a Mach-e or Lightning because there is currently no explorer ev. I'm a perfect example. If explorer ev rolled out alongside lightning or prior to, i would have chosen explorer. I think many would have done the same.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Many are opting for a Mach-e or Lightning because there is currently no explorer ev. I'm a perfect example. If explorer ev rolled out alongside lightning or prior to, i would have chosen explorer. I think many would have done the same.
Why not both? 😂

OP
OP

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Why not both? 😂
Lol we have a one ev rule in this household unless I win bingo or something. We have to have at least one ice car (for now..still brainwashing my wife for whenever I get to order silverado lol)

Sponsored
OP
OP

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Not sure as a lightning owner i'd be interested.

With young kids in tow we are making frequent stops as is. Last thing i need is a 40 minute pit stop to charge. SMH. For foreseeable future we are sticking with a gas powered family hauler.
With three kids between 4 and 10, I have n problem doing 450 each-way road trip with the lilightning. Have done 6 so far in summer, fall and winter (upper 30s). Kids don't mind stops and neither do I. But I'm not going to do florida trip in lightning that'd overkill for me. The reason I like the chargeing breaks is get some quiet time to walk the dog instead of three screaming kids right behind me. That's why I'm stating I'd love am explorer ev and probably wouldn't mind a 900mi each way road trip if the kids were a little spread out lol.

Now you see the motivation for my original post. I'm hoping by the time an explorer or expedition roll out, they'll have increased range expectations.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
With three kids between 4 and 10, I have n problem doing 450 each-way road trip with the lilightning. Have done 6 so far in summer, fall and winter (upper 30s). Kids don't mind stops and neither do I. But I'm not going to do florida trip in lightning that'd overkill for me. The reason I like the chargeing breaks is get some quiet time to walk the dog instead of three screaming kids right behind me. That's why I'm stating I'd love am explorer ev and probably wouldn't mind a 900mi each way road trip if the kids were a little spread out lol.

Now you see the motivation for my original post. I'm hoping by the time an explorer or expedition roll out, they'll have increased range expectations.
I agree whole heartedly with this. We’ve taken a couple of road trips in the 350-450 mi range this winter and the charging stops haven’t really added much to the overall time to destination. The key for us seems to be planning the stops out, ensuring the stops meet all needs (charging, bathroom, food) and hoping the kids don’t drink too much water in between. We were stopping with our ICE for 20-30 min each stop already as it is like pulling teeth to get them back in the car once you unbuckle the car seat harnesses…lol.

I would say though that building out the charging infrastructure would be more important to me than increased range. Much of the apprehension and vehicle decision revolve around the availability and perceived reliability of the charging stations along the route and at the destination.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
My wife is now convinced she wants to go all electric now as well but she drove the Mach-E and "it's too small", so she will be holding out until the Explorer EV starts production which is currently set for December 2nd 2024 at the Oakville, Ontario plant.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I agree whole heartedly with this. We’ve taken a couple of road trips in the 350-450 mi range this winter and the charging stops haven’t really added much to the overall time to destination. The key for us seems to be planning the stops out, ensuring the stops meet all needs (charging, bathroom, food) and hoping the kids don’t drink too much water in between. We were stopping with our ICE for 20-30 min each stop already as it is like pulling teeth to get them back in the car once you unbuckle the car seat harnesses…lol.

I would say though that building out the charging infrastructure would be more important to me than increased range. Much of the apprehension and vehicle decision revolve around the availability and perceived reliability of the charging stations along the route and at the destination.
I have two boys ,9 and 11, and we did a number of the same type of road trips this summer with the same outcomes. Our extra steps are to check the EA app ahead of time and the Plugshare app to see if the EA chargers are likely working and there is a restaurant we can agree upon in that area.

If tesla rolls out that Magic Dock adapter to the majority of their network, road trips will require little to no planning at all. I don't see anyone even trying to catch up to the Tesla network during the time I own this current lightning.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Count me in the camp as ~0 desire to go all electric until charging infrastructure is drastically better. We have 3 row Pathfinder as our "long distance family hauler" (3 kids between 3 and 7) Kids are good 3 wide in the lightning for shorter distances.

I am comforted having the complimentary strengths and weaknesses of 1 EV and 1 ICE. Not all in, on either side.

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Begin rant-

So every company that sat back to see how Ford does with Lightning is now jumping on the pickup truck bandwagon. I think they are late to the party because they are now just followers trying to catch up. Why aren't any of these companies trying to get ahead of the game and rushing out to release an affordable 7 passenger ev suv instead? You really only have Rivian right now to "compete" with in this category..and we all know about their problems.

All these companies are either pushing out compact suv or pickup EV's Stupid! Compact ICE and hybrid suvs already get good mpg. People will buy those instead of paying an EV premium. Families want 7 passenger suvs like the explorer. You've been stuck at 18/22 mpg on the explorer for eternity! And im sorry, i dont want a 4 banger in a full size suv.. If I were Ford, based on success of lightning pre-orders in 2021, I'd have announced an explorer ev for pre-order for fall 2022 and delivery for fall 2023 at starting price of say $45k to stay ahead of the game. Instead, per rumors, they are rushing to push out a Ranger EV instead? Stupid!

Ford, you beat everyone to the game with an awesome pickup. Slap a battery on an explorer or expedition ASAP Price it for way less than the Rivian. Price it for less than the $54k Mercedes 7 seater coming out this year. Do it now and you'll get another 200k preorders. Do it fast before you become the follower.

-End rant.
It's funn you mention a full size SUV, because while I love my Lightning and the front trunk really won me over to being a truck buyer, my "dream EV" at least from the factory, would be an EV Lincoln Navigator. For the price I paid for a Lightning, I wouldn't mind paying more for an EV Navigator.

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I’m in the opposite camp. Already have a great road trip vehicle with the Lightning. I want a small cute Ute overlander EV. Like the the Toyota teaser, the Compact Cruiser EV

NeuralFlow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
2025. It was intended to be mid-2023, with production in Mexico alongside the Mach-E. But Mach-E demand dramatically exceeded expectations, so that plant was devoted 100% to Mach-Es, and the Explorer was moved to start production in December 2024, with deliveries not taking place until 2025.

https://insideevs.com/news/553889/ford-delays-explorer-aviator-evs/

https://fordauthority.com/2022/09/f...les-on-track-for-early-2025-details-revealed/
I imagine the new law also means they’ll move production back to the states. Maybe one of the new EV specific factories being built at the moment. That may have the most impact on the timeline push back. It allows them to build and source the required components domestically.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I imagine the new law also means they’ll move production back to the states. Maybe one of the new EV specific factories being built at the moment. That may have the most impact on the timeline push back. It allows them to build and source the required components domestically.
North America, which includes Canada and Mexico.

Straussberg

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Prius, 2014 Sierra
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ford. Please, if you’re reading this. Bring back the Excursion. Base it off the Lightning. Keep the 10k towing capacity, make it a 7/8 seater. Nobody else has a full size Suburban sized EV SUV. Please!
Sponsored