• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Need To Know If a Lightning Will Work For Me

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I run a Grizzl-e at 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit at home (I mostly charge at work).

I checked my charge logs - I recently charged from 28% to 80% in a little over 14 hours.

Another session took me from 70% to 100% in 10 hours and 10 minutes.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
In continuing looking into the purchase of a Lightning, I had someone tell me that tires do not last nearly as long on EV's, as they do on on the gas powered vehicles. I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give. Is this the truth or just someone who is looking for ways to dissuade EV purchases?
All things equal, a heavier vehicle will wear tires faster than a lighter vehicle. EVs are generally heavier then their ICE counterparts so there's probably some merit to this statement though it's certainly overblown. I hear motor oil doesn't last nearly as long in ICE vehicles as it does in EVs. I put a case of oil in my frunk when I bought my truck 17,000 miles ago and it's still brand new. See what I did?

All things equal, a funner car will wear tires faster than a boring car. I hear Porsches go through tires very quickly. I've never heard a Porsche owner complain about it.😁

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019LBRC 5.0,2022 Powerboost,2023 MaverickHybrid
Well, EVs are heavier and generate more torque. In addition, manufacturers look to reduce weight and rolling resistance in order to improve efficiency. That certainly can result in less tire life, depending on how and how much you drive.

The stock AT tires were apparently a little soft for my driving style - but I still got over 40,000 miles out of them in about 18 months. Could have gone a little longer maybe, but I thought we were going to have winter in New England this year.
Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like the tire life on your Lightning is not all that much different than anticipated tire life on my F150 Hybrid. I am almost at 35k now & judging from current tire condition I expect to need to replace them at about 50k miles. I believe the Hybrid weighs about 20% less than the Lightning.

I was told that I would not get more than 10 - 15k miles out of tires on an EV. Does anyone know if that is true for any EV's out there?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Thanks for choosing the Emporia EV Charger! We'd like to note that with when hardwired and using a minimum 60A breaker it's possible to enable 48A charging. If anyone has any questions we're always happy to help!
How's that bidirectional unit coming along? I'm about to get my $7500 rebate, just saying...

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like the tire life on your Lightning is not all that much different than anticipated tire life on my F150 Hybrid. I am almost at 35k now & judging from current tire condition I expect to need to replace them at about 50k miles. I believe the Hybrid weighs about 20% less than the Lightning.

I was told that I would not get more than 10 - 15k miles out of tires on an EV. Does anyone know if that is true for any EV's out there?
Driving style will have a major impact on tread life (as mentioned above about Porsche owners burning through tires). I have 20k miles on my stock tires, plenty of tread still.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Porsche makes an EV so... probably?🤷

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
In continuing looking into the purchase of a Lightning, I had someone tell me that tires do not last nearly as long on EV's, as they do on on the gas powered vehicles. I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give. Is this the truth or just someone who is looking for ways to dissuade EV purchases?
I only have 6k miles on my lighting, but I doubt that’s an accurate statement. It depends on the tires. I put Michelin defender ltx on my f250 diesel, which weighs over 1,000 pounds more than my lighting. I get about 70k miles out of those. Why wouldn’t they last even longer on a truck that weighs 1000 less?

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I was told that I would not get more than 10 - 15k miles out of tires on an EV.
Well, I guess if you try really hard you could eat 'em up that fast. I'm on the OEM tires at ~10K and they still look pretty good. Maybe I should start brake-torquing at every stoplight just to see what I can do. :cool:

Seriously, I'm betting ~40K based on my (admittedly minimal) experience. My previous ride was a WRX that I, ahem... kinda hammered on a little bit. It went through a set every 40K, too. Just what you're used to, I guess.

Given how much I'm saving on fuel and maintenance, tires are a minimal concern.

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
I’m at 40,000 miles on the OEM tires and they don’t need to be replaced yet. For trucks, I have a feeling that the difference in weight is negligible. Probably more important is the surfaces you drive on regularly and how much you enjoy 0-60 in 4s

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I think it just depends on the tires. I had stock Continental tires on my ICE Q5 that had chunks coming off at 10K miles. They said it was because I have a gravel driveway:rolleyes:. I have yet to replace the stock tires on any of my three EVs with the same gravel driveway.

Although EVs are heavier for the same class of car, it is a bit overblown like all of the other 10,000 reasons why we should keep burning oil. The Lightning weighs less than the F-250. My Kia EV6 weighs about the same as a Toyota Sienna. My e-Golf weighs about the same as a Camry. Just for reference.
Sponsored