• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
@Stage3Motorsports You guys need to start researching for accessories for this truck. One of the very 1st things I always do to my trucks after purchase is tint the windows and a tonneau cover.

The tint I'll get done locally but the tonneau I want is very specific as I already have one on my current truck and wouldn't have any other type.

I currently have a BAK Roll-X which now I believe BAK calls "Revolver" I won't sleep right until I have one on my new truck. :eek: :LOL:
Any tonneau for a 2021 F150 short bed should fit just fine. It is the same bed.
Sponsored

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Whew, emergency averted :ROFLMAO:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
Not so fast there.............I still need to know if a gooseneck hitch will fit:unsure:
1st world problems suck huh. ?

• Haha
Reactions: TRP

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Not so fast there.............I still need to know if a gooseneck hitch will fit:unsure:
The frame is different, but at least has the same body mounting points. My concern would be is the battery, rear motor, or rear suspension in the way of where current gooseneck hardware mounts.

Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The frame is different, but at least has the same body mounting points. My concern would be is the battery, rear motor, or rear suspension in the way of where current gooseneck hardware mounts.
Exactly. I've been trying to figure this out for a long time now. B&W hitch has not seen a Lightning so they aren't sure. Best I can figure is they will need to get their hands on one and develop a new mounting design.

This is the only thing that will keep us out of a lightning. We are pretty far down the reservation list that I think first year is out for us. So maybe that allows time for development.

Now for the naysayers out there that tell me a gooseneck trailer will eat up all of the range........We are aware. Also, not looking to haul a gigantic trailer cross country. We have a 2 horse gooseneck trailer with a small changing room in the front. We only need about 50 mile round trip range most of the time when hauling the trailer. There is one place we like that's about 300miles away that would necessitate a charge stop and we are good with that, then we can recharge in the campground for the return trip.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I currently have a BAK Roll-X which now I believe BAK calls "Revolver" I won't sleep right until I have one on my new truck. :eek: :LOL:
Please post your range / power consumption before and after installation. If there is not much of a difference, I probably just use the fronk for storage and leave the bed open.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
We have a 2 horse gooseneck trailer with a small changing room in the front.
Out of curiosity, what is the pin weight on your trailer?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Out of curiosity, what is the pin weight on your trailer?
Ooooo, not sure at the moment. Total weight with horses is about 8000lbs, so I'd guess pin weight would be less than 1000lbs

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
Please post your range / power consumption before and after installation. If there is not much of a difference, I probably just use the fronk for storage and leave the bed open.
To be honest the only reason I use a tonneau cover is because of lazy arseholes walking by that think out of sight, out of mind when they walk by tired of holding that empty beer can, soda bottle, chip bag etc.... They seem to think it's ok to use the bed as a trash receptacle and pisses me off to no end.

I keep nothing in the back of my truck except when I'm using it, otherwise it stays clean and empty thanks to my bed cover.

Sponsored

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
To be honest the only reason I use a tonneau cover is because of lazy arseholes walking by that think out of sight, out of mind when they walk by tired of holding that empty beer can, soda bottle, chip bag etc.... They seem to think it's ok to use the bed as a trash receptacle and pisses me off to no end.

I keep nothing in the back of my truck except when I'm using it, otherwise it stays clean and empty thanks to my bed cover.
lol! I thought I was the only one that happened to! I ended up putting a camper shell on mine and enjoy the secure(ish) watertight space that people can't throw rubbish in.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Yeah, totally hat that. But the tonneau is nice to keep stuff dry. I wish Ford would‘ve designed a cover that would roll up out of the way like the ones Tesla and Rivian are doing. Not sure if I’ll mess with a tonneau on the lightning when I’ve got that big frunk to keep things dry.

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
Ummmm what? ??

You do realize that you just admitted to everyone that you actually made a reservation to purchase, in your own words, “a piece of junk”.
Yes I've done a ton of research. I canceled my reservation. Have fun paying the premiums and extravagant repair costs.

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
Does that mean I move up one spot on the reservation list? Cool.....
Yup lol get in there and give them your money. I'll wait a while until the hype dies down and we see how reliable they are. Maybe they'll get serious and offer a work truck by then.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
These are great, thank you!

I also noticed the different tailgate. I've been wondering what it would look like without the light bar, and it makes perfect sense that it would just be the ICE version of the tailgate. Looks like the taillights are slightly different, too. The Lariat & Platinum version has centrally-mounted reverse lights. The Pro and XLT version has them in the taillight cluster, in the area that those side tabs on the upper trims cover up. Personally, I prefer the look of the simpler, lower trim/ICE style tailgate - which is good because I'm planning on an XLT+.

Specific to these photos, the frunks both have a power strip and extension cord coming out from under the panels. I suspect they're using the main battery to charge up the smaller 12V battery - which is probably draining because they're keeping the trucks constantly powered on during the showings. Why they're routing them behind the panels instead of just showing off the in-frunk power outlets, I have no idea.
If you watch videos of them showing the platinum with the tailgate open, the tail lights are the same. The tailgate covers up those reverse lights when it is closed. This is required by law for manufactures to do. Reverse lights and tail lights must be visible when the trunk / tailgate is open.
I currently own a 2011 audi q5 that I'm switching from and because the taillights are completely on the hatch (not visible when opened) it switches to tail lights on the rear bumper when it is open.
Sponsored