• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
There will be a DC2DC converter that will transform the high voltage down to 12 V to keep the battery charged. What you will find important as a mechanic is that all EVs will have two sources of 12 V power. If you want to work on these vehicles and NOT get coolant all over your shop floor as I did is to make sure you disable both! :oops:
Ok see this is where I get confused why the need for the extra battery. We have a ton of supply in the main battery, a DC to DC convertor to charge, why not just regulate it to the regular 12v electrical system?

Why go thru all the trouble to use it to charge another battery when it can be regulated with a body control module like they've used in F 150's since 2011?

There must be a simple explanation why. The tinkerer curiosity in me must know LOL. I know one things for certain, just like my current truck, I WILL purchase the shop manual for it. Might even take one of Ford's online classes but those are $$$$ or convince my old dealer to let me in their system for new model training.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Ok see this is where I get confused why the need for the extra battery. We have a ton of supply in the main battery, a DC to DC convertor to charge, why not just regulate it to the regular 12v electrical system?

Why go thru all the trouble to use it to charge another battery when it can be regulated with a body control module like they've used in F 150's since 2011?

There must be a simple explanation why. The tinkerer curiosity in me must know LOL. I know one things for certain, just like my current truck, I WILL purchase the shop manual for it. Might even take one of Ford's online classes but those are $$$$ or convince my old dealer to let me in their system for new model training.
Everything has to be redundant in any EV that has any level of automation. Thus the need to disable both systems before you work on them.

I learned the hard way when we attempted to remove a computer from a vehicle a couple of years ago and I ended up with coolant all over my lab floor when the system turned back on (with the DC2DC converter supplying the power to the pump).

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks! Great find! Any info on where this event was?
Looks like AMB for the Pro. Not my taste. Rapid red for XLT? That’s pretty great looking.
I took the pictures. The event was for Ford employees and was held on the Rouge site between the Stamping plant and Tool and Die buildings.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

There is still a 12v battery for safety. The low voltage battery is used to switch the high voltage battery on and off through contacts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...use-ordinary-12-volt-batteries-1847209291/amp

Sponsored

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
Too bad they won't sell that pro extended piece of junk to the public. They can keep their power strip trucks until they get real about selling something people actually want and can use for a reasonable price. I canceled my reservation because they refuse to sell the Pro extended Batt version and their customer service regarding it has been abysmal.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Too bad they won't sell that pro extended piece of junk to the public. They can keep their power strip trucks until they get real about selling something people actually want and can use for a reasonable price. I canceled my reservation because they refuse to sell the Pro extended Batt version and their customer service regarding it has been abysmal.
Does that mean I move up one spot on the reservation list? Cool.....

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Ummmm what? ??

You do realize that you just admitted to everyone that you actually made a reservation to purchase, in your own words, “a piece of junk”.

Sponsored

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The "mega power Frunk" is the party trick on this truck.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
The frunk makes my brain hurt every time i see it! :LOL:
@Stage3Motorsports You guys need to start researching for accessories for this truck. One of the very 1st things I always do to my trucks after purchase is tint the windows and a tonneau cover.

The tint I'll get done locally but the tonneau I want is very specific as I already have one on my current truck and wouldn't have any other type.

I currently have a BAK Roll-X which now I believe BAK calls "Revolver" I won't sleep right until I have one on my new truck. :eek: :LOL:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
@Stage3Motorsports You guys need to start researching for accessories for this truck. One of the very 1st things I always do to my trucks after purchase is tint the windows and a tonneau cover.

The tint I'll get done locally but the tonneau I want is very specific as I already have one on my current truck and wouldn't have any other type.

I currently have a BAK Roll-X which now I believe BAK calls "Revolver" I won't sleep right until I have one on my new truck. :eek: :LOL:
Ford has made it a point that the bed is exactly the same as the current truck. Anything that will fit a 2021 5.5 ft bed with pro power will fit the lightning.
Sponsored