• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New tax credit to be voted on soon!

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
To be fair, Elon doesn't need a reason to jack up prices. The dude raises the price on a whim whenever someone writes negative about him on Twitter...

On the flipside, if GM were to get credits again...with 2023 MY pricing we are talking about a bolt EV now starting at $18k after credit...
Chevy dropped the price for 2023 right? Would be a steal!
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I'm not sure I understand why people owing 7500 in taxes is considered a high amount. If you're considering buying a new EV, I'd wager most folks in that market make at least $54k in taxable income.

My thoughts are I despise paying taxes, and buying an EV means I pay less in taxes. Gives me enough leverage to consider buying a new car. So in short, I hope it gets renewed...
I agree, but kids can give a lot of deductions that can lower that a lot, especially if married, etc.

I wish I paid less than 7500 in tax though. :(

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree, but kids can give a lot of deductions that can lower that a lot, especially if married, etc.

I wish I paid less than 7500 in tax though. :(
FWIW there are some types of income that are "non taxable" including VA benefits. Its possible to have a large chunk of income non taxable. Also some of us a carrying solar credits...same type of person shopping for an EV has probably considered solar.

RI fisherman

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lighting on order
The BBB is dead.

The EV credits would be is some slim climate bill. Yes there is talk of inflation and prescription drug prices thrown in, but it would have a big climate impact. Something on the order of $.5-1T for climate initiatives.
Agree BBB is dead this "reconciliation bill" is the new BBB without the name they are still throwing out same bad legislation and trying to rebrand. don't have much faith they will move the needle on anything.

“There's a waiting list for EVs right now with the fuel price at $4,” Manchin said in April. “But they still want us to throw $5,000 or $7,000 or $12,000 credit to buy electric vehicles. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.”

What about 6 dollars joe? IMO let supply and demand do its thing...

Sponsored

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
but Manchin, like others who might not see the 'cents' in providing TAX CREDITS for EV purchases, should not think of the current high gas prices as creating the 'sole' reason for folks to consider moving to EVs from ICE, but should consider this as the EXACT TIME IN HISTORY to give the public the MOST Incentives to jump into EVs - it would create a MUCH MORE SUDDEN philosophical reason to CHANGE NOW.
The idea of slowing or doing away with public incentives just because gas prices are artificially and temporarily high is missing the point.

If you were a business trying to 'sell' a brand new product that no one yet thought they 'needed', and the right financial environment suddenly presented itself, you'd be not much of a business person if you ran with the idea of simply 'hoping' that temporary situation sent business your way, instead of EMBRACING the fact that the TIME IS NOW running into the Streets announcing your product as THE SOLUTION!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
this as the EXACT TIME IN HISTORY to give the public the MOST Incentives to jump into EVs - it would create a MUCH MORE SUDDEN philosophical reason to CHANGE NOW.
Every EV being produced right now is sold. The manufacturers can't fulfill the demand. The time for incentives is when there are brand new, unsold, EV's sitting on dealer lots and the only way to move them is to throw money on the hood. And that should come from the manufacturer, not the Government.

Inflation = too much money chasing too few goods. More spending now will only make matters worse.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
Raise your hand if you will not be claiming the existing tax credit for your Lightning.... :whistle:

Straussberg

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Prius, 2014 Sierra
Occupation
Software Engineer
If lawmakers really wanted adoption instead of sales, they’d allow the tax credit for used vehicles.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Every EV being produced right now is sold. The manufacturers can't fulfill the demand. The time for incentives is when there are brand new, unsold, EV's sitting on dealer lots and the only way to move them is to throw money on the hood. And that should come from the manufacturer, not the Government.

Inflation = too much money chasing too few goods. More spending now will only make matters worse.

Unfortunately politics are such that votes like this come up rarely. What should happen is any decision should not only factor into the market now..but be a factor 2 years from now, 4yrs and beyond(after the supply crisis ends).

The argument that there are not enough EVs is a distraction IMO. There are wait periods for most vehicles, not just EVs. The question should be..if given an equal supply of ICE vehicles and EVs..if both were readily available on a dealers lot..which would the customer choose?

I would wager that despite high gas prices..given an EV that costs ~$10k more than an equal ICE model..most people would choice the ICE model. The closer the two models are in price, the more likely the customer may choose an EV.

If our intention is to spur EV adoption, there is no better way than to get the sales price as close as possible. The best way to do that is some sort of rebate/subsidy.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yes..Chevy dropped the price of the 2023 Bolt EV and EUV by $5900. They start around $25k BEFORE any credit. You could get a 1LT with a tax credit for under $20k.

As soon as the deal is done, I'd ruch on down and put in an order for a 2023....

https://www.thecarconnection.com/ne...le-electric-car-2023-chevrolet-bolt-at-26-595
Let's see a $7,500 point of sale rebate for all sales of EVs under $40k, even when more than 200,000 vehicles have been sold. Rich guys have their toys, now let's incentivize bringing EVs to the masses. Bolt price is fantastic, it's a great vehicle that other automakers should try to emulate.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Let's see a $7,500 point of sale rebate for all sales of EVs under $40k, even when more than 200,000 vehicles have been sold. Rich guys have their toys, now let's incentivize bringing EVs to the masses. Bolt price is fantastic, it's a great vehicle that other automakers should try to emulate.
Charging speed in really the Bolt's main weakness. 50kw just doesn't make for any kind of realistic road tripper. Besides that I agree - provided they have really fixed the fire issue.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charging speed in really the Bolt's main weakness. 50kw just doesn't make for any kind of realistic road tripper. Besides that I agree - provided they have really fixed the fire issue.
True..but $18k-20k for a commuter car/200mi runabout is not too shabby.

After watching numerous videos I'm not sure road tripping in an EV(with present infrastructure) is worth the hassle. Use multiple apps to research your trip. Finding a DCFC. Finding one that is working. Use the App to start charger and hope it works. Hope the speed is OK. If not try--unplug and try again. Wait 30min-1hr.

vs.

Pull up to gas station. Swipe card. Fill with gas. Use Bathroom. Back on the road in 15min with minimal stress.

Don't get me wrong..it can be done in an EV and EVs are great to drive. They are also a no brainer for the daily commute. However for a long trip they have a ways to go to catch up to an ICE vehicle.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
True..but $18k-20k for a commuter car/200mi runabout is not too shabby.

After watching numerous videos I'm not sure road tripping in an EV(with present infrastructure) is worth the hassle. Use multiple apps to research your trip. Finding a DCFC. Finding one that is working. Use the App to start charger and hope it works. Hope the speed is OK. If not try--unplug and try again. Wait 30min-1hr.

vs.

Pull up to gas station. Swipe card. Fill with gas. Use Bathroom. Back on the road in 15min with minimal stress.

Don't get me wrong..it can be done in an EV and EVs are great to drive. They are also a no brainer for the daily commute. However for a long trip they have a ways to go to catch up to an ICE vehicle.
I will counter that with my experience road tripping our Mach-e. We have been all over NY, from Albany to Pittsburg and all the way up to Maine. Absolute fantastic road trip vehicle. Pretty much every time I needed to stop and charge, it was time for a meal or restroom break anyways (use the restroom break for shorter charge sessions and meals for longer ones). Between the non-rushed stops and Bluecruise, it is a very low stress way to drive. When I got to Pittsburgh (about 500 miles), I felt I easily could have kept going.

I have never not been able to get a charge and just us the Plug and Charge system - just plug in and go, no app required.

As for planning the trip, I have used the Ford Nav and Plugshare just to get more info about the charging location. ABRP I used to check out the route and timing before I leave, but not during the drive at all.

The cost difference is also huge. Our trip to Maine cost less than $40 in charging, which includes the cost of charging when we got home. The same trip in either of my ICE vehicles would have been almost $300 in gas. I just can't see going back to ICE for any roadtripping, at least in the Northeast.
Sponsored