• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
It's true to a point. The Rivian (135kwh) is the same speed as the Hummer EV (200kwh), even though the Hummer has a much larger battery and more power. My P85D (85kwh) has a much smaller battery and still manages a 0-60 time of about 3 seconds.

As battery capacities rise, I think we'll start to see a point where manufacturers stop adding range and instead work to bring the prices and curb weight down, at least on some vehicles. Tesla has already said they could have made a 600 mile vehicle by now, but they aren't bothering. Towing is still very demanding of any EV battery, and it's still a capacity race there.
With regards to range..we'll see where that sweet spot is. I'm guessing 300-400mi is where it might land. Anything higher and its more than a 8hr drive and a well planned charging stop. I've done my share of cannonball runs, but even in my younger days I could rarely drive more than say 5hrs without a significant stop. My hunch is most people average 500mi a day driving...starting out with a full battery that would mean one extended meal/charging break before reaching a hotel for overnight charging.

The challenge will be large vehicles that may tow or carry a heavy load(either passengers or cargo)--for these empty they may get 500mi but for a loaded vehicle may struggle to break 250mi.
Sponsored

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
Rivian = 7,150 lbs (3,250Kgs).
That's just a crazy number

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
With regards to range..we'll see where that sweet spot is. I'm guessing 300-400mi is where it might land. Anything higher and its more than a 8hr drive and a well planned charging stop. I've done my share of cannonball runs, but even in my younger days I could rarely drive more than say 5hrs without a significant stop. My hunch is most people average 500mi a day driving...starting out with a full battery that would mean one extended meal/charging break before reaching a hotel for overnight charging.

The challenge will be large vehicles that may tow or carry a heavy load(either passengers or cargo)--for these empty they may get 500mi but for a loaded vehicle may struggle to break 250mi.
The challenge is that highway range is less than stated range (for most models)and cold weather can drop it significantly. So a 300 mile vehicle might only get ~200 miles in the cold on the highway (or less), and then you don't want to go down to 0 either, so you end up with a ~150 to 170 mile first leg, and then ~130 to ~150 mile range after each charge (to 80%) - now you need 2 or 3 stops for that 500 mile trip.

I agree if they can hit 300 miles on the highway in cold/poor weather than we are in a good place.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The challenge is that highway range is less than stated range (for most models)and cold weather can drop it significantly. So a 300 mile vehicle might only get ~200 miles in the cold on the highway (or less), and then you don't want to go down to 0 either, so you end up with a ~150 to 170 mile first leg, and then ~130 to ~150 mile range after each charge (to 80%) - now you need 2 or 3 stops for that 500 mile trip.

I agree if they can hit 300 miles on the highway in cold/poor weather than we are in a good place.

Rivian hit 290mi at 70mph in latest range test. That was on all terrain tires so with street tire it would *probably* (maybe) break 300mi. Granted that was in good weather...but its getting closer.

A 400mi battery in both the Silverado/Rivian are appealing options...in bad weather hopefully they would still be at 300mi which is tolerable to most people

Tbh..the Rivian (and also Lightning) *fingers crossed* with a range of 300mi is/are the first vehicles where I could see myself "road tripping" with minimal issues

Last edited:

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I am looking at a trip to Gettysburg in the Fall. ABRP shows 43-67 mins of charging (depending on the mi/kwh assumption) from north of Boston. That’s for 7.5hrs of drive time. That’s pretty reasonable to me. I doubt i’d drive more than that in a day for a road trip.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I am looking at a trip to Gettysburg in the Fall. ABRP shows 43-67 mins of charging (depending on the mi/kwh assumption) from north of Boston. That’s for 7.5hrs of drive time. That’s pretty reasonable to me. I doubt i’d drive more than that in a day for a road trip.
Check the numbers on ABRP, too, I'd say.

Maybe they've updated them, but they were way off a few months ago... slower than what Ford stated.

I agree with you, though. 43-67 minutes on a 7+ hour drive is not a big deal. I'm probably stopped about that long over a trip of that length anyway. Maybe 30 mins at the least, so it may only *actually* add 15-30 mins, net, which is definitely worth it for the convenience of home charging the other 360 days of the year.
Sponsored