• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I own a 3.1 0-60 Model S. I am trading it in for the f150.
Whoever wrote don't take a test drive unless you want to buy it is in reality. I have taken 6-7 people out and let them drive and they are now all buying either a tesla, a rivian, or mach-e. I had BMWs and even some mustang 5.0s. Like the rest here, you can't even describe how much better electric is. I am not a fan boy (I am going ford over tesla in my trade in) but I can say driving the tesla has been god-like.
Our Volvo xc40 EV is great. I think of the driving as being telepathic. You want to go faster, you go faster. There is no waiting for turbos to spool (worst case), injectors to send on more fuel, intakes to open and gulp down more air, transmission to downshift...You just GO when you want to and on top of all that it is quiet and vibration free. Other than "charging in the wild" the EV experience has been superior to ICE and until you do it yourself it is difficult to imagine.
Sponsored

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
Our Volvo xc40 EV is great. I think of the driving as being telepathic. You want to go faster, you go faster. There is no waiting for turbos to spool (worst case), injectors to send on more fuel, intakes to open and gulp down more air, transmission to downshift...You just GO when you want to and on top of all that it is quiet and vibration free. Other than "charging in the wild" the EV experience has been superior to ICE and until you do it yourself it is difficult to imagine.
My wife loved that car! I haven't driven a volvo ev-but they look great. I like the looks alot!

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My wife loved that car! I haven't driven a volvo ev-but they look great. I like the looks alot!
My wife said that she could like the mach e if she had to so we drove down the road to check out the xc40. She sat in it, got the mirrors adjusted and smiled. It only got better after pulling out of the parking spot. Now I get in trouble if I take the xc40 and she needs to go somewhere. It is the perfect size for her (and our garage that is full of other stuff). She says the xc90 phev is huge (it isn't). If she takes it she has problems being light enough on the throttle to not engage the ICE. I'm afraid that the xc90 will sit quite a bit once the lightning arrives.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
My wife said that she could like the mach e if she had to so we drove down the road to check out the xc40. She sat in it, got the mirrors adjusted and smiled. It only got better after pulling out of the parking spot. Now I get in trouble if I take the xc40 and she needs to go somewhere. It is the perfect size for her (and our garage that is full of other stuff). She says the xc90 phev is huge (it isn't). If she takes it she has problems being light enough on the throttle to not engage the ICE. I'm afraid that the xc90 will sit quite a bit once the lightning arrives.
FWIW I've seen some reviews on the NEW xc60 and xc90 PHEVs. Much better than the old version--new version has larger battery, longer range(35mi) and you can actually floor it and stay in EV mode. Still slow 0-60 in EV mode only, but OK for driving around town is what it appears. If you stomp on it the gas/electric combo gets you 0-60 in 4.9s.

Much closer to an EV feeling than before. One reviewer said it felt more like an EV with a range extender than a typical PHEV. I want to see whats out there next year, but it may be an alternative to look at of one does a lot of traveling.

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FWIW I've seen some reviews on the NEW xc60 and xc90 PHEVs. Much better than the old version--new version has larger battery, longer range(35mi) and you can actually floor it and stay in EV mode. Still slow 0-60 in EV mode only, but OK for driving around town is what it appears. If you stomp on it the gas/electric combo gets you 0-60 in 4.9s.

Much closer to an EV feeling than before. One reviewer said it felt more like an EV with a range extender than a typical PHEV. I want to see whats out there next year, but it may be an alternative to look at of one does a lot of traveling.
The future is electric, not PHEV or ICE.... But the present... Some PHEV's are crazy amazing and can actually highlight the best of both worlds. The RAV4 Prime is an example of insane, well, everything. Again, I don't know much about the volvo's but it reminds me of the Volt not getting enough credit. The idea that your commute can be entirely electric and your vacation gas was pretty smart. And it was/is a good car. Yes there are a million reasons to hate on Chevy but the Volt gave us this gen's volvos, toyotas, etc... I will say again, that volvo is a looker.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The future is electric, not PHEV or ICE.... But the present... Some PHEV's are crazy amazing and can actually highlight the best of both worlds. The RAV4 Prime is an example of insane, well, everything. Again, I don't know much about the volvo's but it reminds me of the Volt not getting enough credit. The idea that your commute can be entirely electric and your vacation gas was pretty smart. And it was/is a good car. Yes there are a million reasons to hate on Chevy but the Volt gave us this gen's volvos, toyotas, etc... I will say again, that volvo is a looker.
I'm a wagon type of guy..if they had a v90 with the updated powertrain I would be down there putting down a deposit. I agree EVs are the wave of the future, but there are some challenges that need to be addressed for them to be comfortable long road trip vehicles.(i.e. 1000mi road trips)

Ford F-150 Lightning Onboard F-150 Lightning acceleration videos show impressive 0-60 ? 2018_volvo_v90_wagon_t6-inscription_fq_oem_1_1600

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm a wagon type of guy..if they had a v90 with the updated powertrain I would be down there putting down a deposit. I agree EVs are the wave of the future, but there are some challenges that need to be addressed for them to be comfortable long road trip vehicles.(i.e. 1000mi road trips)

2018_volvo_v90_wagon_t6-inscription_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg
A GREAT VIDEO just came out. Alex on Autos does a great job. XC60 PHEV

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback

2018_volvo_v90_wagon_t6-inscription_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg
And my wagon — what a car! T5 R Design. I know, not a Volvo forum!!

Ford F-150 Lightning Onboard F-150 Lightning acceleration videos show impressive 0-60 ? 165EBEFF-102E-47CB-A765-8A998D3BAAEF

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

165EBEFF-102E-47CB-A765-8A998D3BAAEF.jpeg
Why don't you take your Volvo talk over to swedespeed! Lol (I am a 2016 xc90t8 and 2022 xc40 P8 owner). Yes, your v90 is a beautiful car.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

165EBEFF-102E-47CB-A765-8A998D3BAAEF.jpeg

Last post on this admin(I promise)-- I currently have a Buick regal TourX(ahem...Opel/Vauxhall Insignia). Really cool wagon...

FWIW-- used to have an old boxy Volvo v70xc...am very familiar with swedespeed!! LOL

Sponsored

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey... Not Volvo forum but the point is by 2030 there are going to be very few ICE cars. ICE cars are going to be like flip phones. A regular f150 can't match the lightning now (except for range), and by 2030 it won't even be a discussion. Seriously, the current PHEV Rav4 blows away any other Rav4. My Tesla Model S can beat any other 4 door car ever produced from 0-60 and almost any other car period. The Volvo Alex on Auto demos just makes this point further. Again, I was a 5.0 guy, but one ride in a Tesla and it was like, yeah....

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hey... Not Volvo forum but the point is by 2030 there are going to be very few ICE cars. ICE cars are going to be like flip phones. A regular f150 can't match the lightning now (except for range), and by 2030 it won't even be a discussion. Seriously, the current PHEV Rav4 blows away any other Rav4. My Tesla Model S can beat any other 4 door car ever produced from 0-60 and almost any other car period. The Volvo Alex on Auto demos just makes this point further. Again, I was a 5.0 guy, but one ride in a Tesla and it was like, yeah....
I've had two people throw up that were in my 3.1 0-60 vehicle, thankfully they made it outside first. I think EVs are doing crazy 0-60 now as a way to lure people to new tech, I'm certain lower trim EVs will still settle in the the 6.0-ish range. Just as many people learn they don't want the extra power, as those who can't go back.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had two people throw up that were in my 3.1 0-60 vehicle, thankfully they made it outside first. I think EVs are doing crazy 0-60 now as a way to lure people to new tech, I'm certain lower trim EVs will still settle in the the 6.0-ish range. Just as many people learn they don't want the extra power, as those who can't go back.
TBH I'd give up some performance if it meant more range..but it seems like with EVs the two are directly related. (Bigger battery=range & better performance)

In ICE its just the opposite...Better acceleration requires a bigger engine(or turbocharging) which uses more gas than a smaller NA motor.

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's smart that most EVs have a 'chill' mode. My wife HATES performance mode and gets sick at anything like a launch.
I'm interested to see regen braking in the Lightning. I've gotten to love (almost) 1-pedal driving. Never thought I would. I mean, I grew up with 3 pedals.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
TBH I'd give up some performance if it meant more range..but it seems like with EVs the two are directly related. (Bigger battery=range & better performance)

In ICE its just the opposite...Better acceleration requires a bigger engine(or turbocharging) which uses more gas than a smaller NA motor.
It's true to a point. The Rivian (135kwh) is the same speed as the Hummer EV (200kwh), even though the Hummer has a much larger battery and more power. My P85D (85kwh) has a much smaller battery and still manages a 0-60 time of about 3 seconds.

As battery capacities rise, I think we'll start to see a point where manufacturers stop adding range and instead work to bring the prices and curb weight down, at least on some vehicles. Tesla has already said they could have made a 600 mile vehicle by now, but they aren't bothering. Towing is still very demanding of any EV battery, and it's still a capacity race there.
Sponsored