• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Options for mounting a large RTT

Fulgur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER with Max Tow
Posting in here where it is more appropriate...

I bought a Penthouse XL for my 1996 LX450, but my LX450 is still undergoing mechanical restoration and could be many months away from being finished.

Ford F-150 Lightning Options for mounting a large RTT 1714141671727-0x

Until the LX450 is done, I figured I would mount and use the RTT on the Lightning for light overlanding.

Looking at my mounting options, I am looking at this bed rack:

Ford F-150 Lightning Options for mounting a large RTT 1714141694240-pw

I think the above RealTruck Go Rack, with the RTT installed, might still be able to fit in our garage. It definitely wouldn't fit if I used a full height bed rack, which means no charging... 😟

The RTT is 7.5' long, which will means it overhang the back about 1.5'. Not a great look, but if it works..it works..

Another option is to build a frame on our utility trailer and tow it with the Lightning.

This is a temporary solution until I finish the LX450.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Posting in here where it is more appropriate...

I bought a Penthouse XL for my 1996 LX450, but my LX450 is still undergoing mechanical restoration and could be many months away from being finished.

1714141671727-0x.png

Until the LX450 is done, I figured I would mount and use the RTT on the Lightning for light overlanding.

Looking at my mounting options, I am looking at this bed rack:

1714141694240-pw.png

I think the above RealTruck Go Rack, with the RTT installed, might still be able to fit in our garage. It definitely wouldn't fit if I used a full height bed rack, which means no charging... 😟

The RTT is 7.5' long, which will means it overhang the back about 1.5'. Not a great look, but if it works..it works..

Another option is to build a frame on our utility trailer and tow it with the Lightning.

This is a temporary solution until I finish the LX450.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I LOVE the RealTruck GoRack for a RTT. The T-slot tracks along the top of the rails makes an easy job of installing accessories. Also, you're not sacrificing bed space for cargo, and like you mentioned, you should still be able to clear your garage door with the RTT attached. The slight overhang in the back isn't so bad, either. Here's another image for reference with the RTT attached:
Ford F-150 Lightning Options for mounting a large RTT 1714247744962-2u

OP
OP

Fulgur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER with Max Tow
Thanks for the reply! I agree with everything you wrote. 😁 BTW, your company is a great website for truck enthusiasts.

Your rack was one of the few I found that had a high enough dynamic load rating to support a RTT.

I am also considering at a TourTop Cover coupled with RealTruck HD Universal Cross Bars to mount my RTT. I came across your cross bars from a YT video that showed them for about 2 seconds.....had to track them down. 🕵

Pros: Water and dust protection, easy and fast removal, 550 lbs payload on top, bolts to factory locations. Cons: Cost.

The slots run in the opposite direction on the TourTop compared to the cross bar's mounting holes, so I will need to match the width of those slots to the mounting hole width of the RealTruck Cross Bars.

Ford F-150 Lightning Options for mounting a large RTT 1714305090426-3e

Last edited:

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Phew, that Tour Top is one serious tonneau! Since it's not one that we work with directly, we can't say for certain that the RealTruck HD Universal Cross Bars would be compatible. It would be a dynamite duo, for sure!
Sponsored