• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ordering an HIS for self-install

world2steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
You can order an HIS from AEE Solar. The web site seems to suggest you have to be a dealer or installer but you don't. You do have to create an account but apparently anyone can do it. Interestingly, all the HIS inverters are the same price, regardless of size.

If you have problems, call 800 777-6609. Select option 2, Sales Support - NOT option 6 for Ford/SunRun HIS customers. (If you select 6 you may get someone from SunRun who does not know what an HIS IS, like i did.)

The big question if you already have solar is whether or not you want to do it. If you already have solar with battery backup, it looks like the HIS automatic transfer switch has to be primary and will knock your secondary inverter offline when you lose power from the grid.

For most of us (Texas & California residents possibly excepted), that would not be a show-stopper. The grid here in Tucson is still pretty reliable. I would only be using my Lightning battery in a prolonged outage.

Would a manual transfer switch (MTS) allowing me to choose which inverter to use, solve the problem of different voltages hitting my home grid if I was running off the Lightning battery and power from the grid came back on? I am assuming I could isolate the HIS from the power grid until I threw the manual MTS.
Sponsored

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
With the cost of the HIS, plus I already have PV and batteries, plus the HIS only provides ~2 kW more than Pro-Power Onboard, I'm inclined to continue exploring the idea of a MTS with a 30A plug and the ground lifted.

I'm still exploring if that setup would expose you to any more danger than regular operation of appliances in your house, but it would seem if your existing appliances don't already have a fault to ground, then the likelyhood of them developing one at the same time as utilizing PPO to power the house is very low.
If you use an appropriate MTS, ground fault isn’t an issue. The Generac 6852 is the one I installed as it’s intended to be used with a Generator that has a bonded neutral.

OP
OP

world2steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
With the cost of the HIS, plus I already have PV and batteries, plus the HIS only provides ~2 kW more than Pro-Power Onboard, I'm inclined to continue exploring the idea of a MTS with a 30A plug and the ground lifted.

I'm still exploring if that setup would expose you to any more danger than regular operation of appliances in your house, but it would seem if your existing appliances don't already have a fault to ground, then the likelyhood of them developing one at the same time as utilizing PPO to power the house is very low.
My rationale for purchasing a HIS is having an OEM willing to stand behind its products and guarantee they WILL work without problems. So far Sol Ark hasn't been willing to confirm I could use a connection to their generator port safely. I would have to know a LOT more about electricity before taking a $100,000 flyer on a configuration that may or should work.

Down the road when my net metering ends. the ability to use the HIS and Lightening for arbitraging power rates may become important.

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER

This is the way to go. And like mentioned below if you have the right MTS you won't have to worry about the neutral wire. You just have to get one with a bonded/floating neutral.

And if this isn't ideal I would recommend a Generac whole home generator. Best part? It will work even when you're not home!! Which I think is a huge downfall with Ford's idea. The biggest downfall, forcing you to deal with SunRun. And the cost. Because it's not much more expensive to get the Generac installed compared to the ludicrous amount they charge for JUST the equipment.
Sponsored