• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro and Home Integration System self-install

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
At least a few of us have given up on Sunrun ever doing a Charge Station Pro, CSP, or Home Integration System, HIS, install so this thread is dedicated to those trying to figure out what we can do ourselves with electrical inspection or hire an independent electrician. I know some of this has been discussed for months but there is a lot of contradictory advice on the boards and most of the marketing material by Ford and Sunrun does not give much technical detail on exactly how the system operates.

So here is my understanding of what each component does and what I see as the options for high rate charging and backup power.

1) Quick and Dirty approach. Use a cord from the truck 240V/30A bed to feed into a generator transfer switch and have 7200 watts available for backup. Least expensive approach for occasional outage. Those that have a generator already probably have this plug but may need to use an adapter or new plug and check wiring/breaker can handle the 7200 watts/240V/30A.

2) Ford Charge Station Pro Only. From what I understand this is not really a home AC to DC charger! The charging is actually done by the built in dual on-board 40 A (= 80 A) 19.2 KW chargers onboard the Extended range or single 9.6 KW charger in the standard range. 19.2 kW onboard gives 32 miles/hour charge. The CSP can be dip switched to take less current at 240v if you don't have 80 A/100 A ckt breaker capacity available. 48 amp will provide 20 mile/hr, 32 amp 13 mile/hr for the extended range. If you have the standard battery the numbers are 80A/19mph, 48A/19mph, 32A/14mph. So the CSP is maybe just a intelligent extension cord for the lightning ;) that monitors all in terms of charging the batteries.

CORRECTED 7/2: Besides supplying 240AC to the Lightnings built-in dual chargers (ER) the Siemens/Ford designed FCSP is actually bi-directional and will take the direct DC power out of the CCS connector and will feed it directly to the Home Integration system where it can be used for house backup after 400V DC to 240V AC inversion.

3) Home Integration system. The Model E4_BDI Delta-designed HIS takes the DC feed from the FCSP (that is provided by the bottom two prongs of the charging cord), and inverts that to 9600 watts, 240v, 40A. This will automatically happen if the HIS detects a power failure on the AC panel and will then backfeed backup power. The version of HIS sold also has a 2 input, 2 MPPT string inverter (DC to AC) for solar panels included. It also has a small battery to keep the HIS operational in event of grid power failure so it can do it's thing. Additional advantage is that the solar input can theoretically charge the Lightning if you don't already have a solar system. Not clear if one can do this during a grid outage. I think the model you can purchase from AEE or Ford only has 4kW string inverter for solar. The other 6, 8, and 10 kW models disappeared from the AEE website recently. This could have implications if you wish to use the string inverters for more than 4KW solar power. Sunrun is likely keeping those higher solar power inverter models to themselves for solar leases.

The HIS should be compatible with solar panels from anyone if you want to add solar in the future. The big promised advantage to be software enabled someday by Ford is the ability to charge the battery via GRID during low electricity cost usage and go off grid during high cost electricity periods....aka energy arbitrage! Of course this only works while your car is in the house but for the time periods it is this could be quite a profit center in some areas of the country where on and off-peak rates are very different.

If people who have already received delivery have the installation manuals for the CSP and HIS that will be useful. If anyone has clarification on above or more info please add to discussion. :). I'm trying to get a tesla solar system installed at the same time so figuring out how HIS could potentially interact with that is another area I'm researching if anyone is doing the same. I'd like to have at least one Tesla powerwall and use the F150 as the energy backup storage of 10 powerwalls. There is a $70K bonus of storage potential in the Lightning if we can figure out how to untap it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
At least a few of us have given up on Sunrun ever doing a Charge Station Pro, CSP, or Home Integration System, HIS, install so this thread is dedicated to those trying to figure out what we can do ourselves with electrical inspection or hire an independent electrician. I know some of this has been discussed for months but there is a lot of contradictory advice on the boards and most of the marketing material by Ford and Sunrun does not give much technical detail on exactly how the system operates.

So here is my understanding of what each component does and what I see as the options for high rate charging and backup power.

1) Quick and Dirty approach. Use a cord from the truck 240V/30A bed to feed into a generator transfer switch and have 7200 watts available for backup. Least expensive approach for occasional outage. Those that have a generator already probably have this plug but may need to use an adapter or new plug and check wiring/breaker can handle the 7200 watts/240V/30A.

2) Ford Charge Station Pro Only. From what I understand this is not really a home AC to DC charger! The charging is actually done by the built in dual on-board 40 A (= 80 A) 19.2 KW chargers onboard the Extended range or single 9.6 KW charger in the standard range. 19.2 kW onboard gives 32 miles/hour charge. The CSP can be dip switched to take less current at 240v if you don't have 80 A/100 A ckt breaker capacity available. 48 amp will provide 20 mile/hr, 32 amp 13 mile/hr for the extended range. If you have the standard battery the numbers are 80A/19mph, 48A/19mph, 32A/14mph. So the CSP is maybe just a intelligent extension cord for the lightning ;) that monitors all in terms of charging the batteries.

What the charger is is actually an inverter! The Siemens design is actually bi-directional and will take the direct DC power out of the CCS connector and invert it to 240 volts, 40 amps, 9600 watts. So if you have a generator transfer switch you can use this 9.6KW to power house. However you need a transfer switch because you can't backfeed the grid or use the supply from the charger while on the grid or something will pop. Perhaps there are some safety mechanisms in the CSP to not output AC if it detects AC from grid? If this is the case then the manual transfer switch might not be needed as the CSP would stop inverting automatically like micro or sting solar inverters. If anyone out there knows this please chime in! My guess is that it does not have this capability and reason for the Home Integration System......

3) Home Integration system. So I believe that the E4_BDI HIS takes the DC feed from the CSP (that is provided by the charging cord to the truck from the CSP), and inverts that to 9600 watts, 240v, 40A. This will automatically happen if the HIS detects a power failure on the AC panel and will then backfeed backup power. The version of HIS sold also has a 2 input, 2 MPPT string inverter (DC to AC) for solar panels included. It also has a small battery to keep the HIS operational in event of grid power failure so it can do it's thing. Additional advantage is that the solar input can charge the lightning if you don't already have a solar system. I think the model you can purchase though only has 4kW inverter for solar. The other models disappeared from the website recently. It should be compatible with solar panels from anyone if you want to add solar in the future. The big promised advantage to be software enabled someday by Ford is the ability to charge the battery during low electricity cost usage and go off grid during high cost electricity periods....aka energy arbitrage! Of course this only works while your car is in the house but for the time periods it is this could be quite a profit center.

If people who have already received delivery have the installation manuals for the CSP and HIS that will be useful. If anyone has clarification on above or more info please add to discussion. :). I'm trying to get a tesla solar system installed at the same time so figuring out how HIS could potentially interact with that is another area I'm researching if anyone is doing the same. I'd like to have at least one Tesla powerwall and use the F150 as the energy backup storage of 10 powerwalls. There is a $70K bonus of storage potential in the Lightning!
First, this is a great idea to consolidate this discussion into a single thread that could provide sticky reference document a solutions vetted by members of this forum much smarter than me. Thank you for starting this thread!

Two thoughts at this moment.

1. I have read concerns in various threads about the fact the 240V outlet from the Lightning provides power using a bonded neutral, and that may cause issues if it feeds to a Critical Load Panel provided with a manual interlock breaker arrangement. The concern raised is tripping of any GFI circuits…..I have no idea!

2. I was not aware the FCSP acted as an inverter for power from the truck, only as a switch to direct DC power from the truck via two separate DC conductors back to the SunRun/Ford/Delta HIS panel…my assumption is the HIS houses an inverter which then is passed onto the house or a provided CLP after activation of the HIS auto transfer switch.

Again, not an expert by any means….just want to help start the conversation.

Lastly, I have seen a member posted FCSP installation manual posted in a thread via an offsite server…it was a large size PDF. I have also seen photos of pages of an installation guide for some of the components of the SunRun/Ford/Delta HIS also posted on a thread..

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
2) yes, the PRO is simply a larger/faster amperage charging option for the Lightning - it uses the same exact 240v power from the home to charge the truck - there is nothing else different, as only DC Fast Chargers use 'off truck' equipment to charge the vehicle, DC to DC.
The PRO is larger and has the full CCS 'plug', but only the J1772 portion is used for 240v charging. And, consequently, only the lower DC PINS are used during HIS power feed out.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The FCSP does not include an inverter. The inverter is part of the HIS.
OK, this is a point I was not certain about as some early marketing blurbs said it was possible to use the bidirectional FCSP with a generator switch to power house manually. So not true. The FCSP is only a smart power cord to feed the built-in chargers on-board the LIghtning but takes the CCS DC output and can feed it though to the Home Integration system. A bit overpriced for that function I think! There probably is some software and control/monitoring/safety logic in there to make sure it's failsafe. I'll correct my post above to be accurate.

I just purchased the HIS online as well as the FCSP. I'll sell my own FCSP after it is received after the lightning arrives. Ebay has had a few new ones for a few hundred under Fords price.

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I wanted to get all relevant install documents in one place. Thanks to all who have posted bits and pieces of the documentation package in various other threads.

Ford Charge Station Pro Spec Sheet:

Attachments

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Whole Home Backup (WHB) that comes with Home Integration system. It is an intelligent grid disconnect via 200A electronic relay. Spec sheet -

Attachments

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I wanted to get all relevant install documents in one place. Thanks to all who have posted bits and pieces of the documentation package in various other threads.

Ford Charge Station Pro Spec Sheet:
FCSP Installation Guide…….

Attachments

Sponsored
OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What you receive when you order the HIS -
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro and Home Integration System self-install 1656795873608

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Ford Home Integration System Install Guide -
(Big thanks to yed19 for taking pictures of the manual. I've combined into a PDF.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here is Delta's April 27th Press release on the HIS. I've heard they are the go-to for technical questions on install. Getting tech support from SunRun on their Ford/Sunrun branded product has not worked out too well. Their contact info is below. If anyone gets install questions answered please post in thread so as not to bother their support with redundant questions. I'm sure electricians you hire (or DIY) maybe have the same questions.

Delta Electronics (Americas), Ltd.
46101 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538

Sales Email: [email protected]
Support Email: [email protected]
Sales Hotline: +1-877-440-5851 or +1-626-369-8021
Support Hotline: +1-877-442-4832
Support (Intl.): +1-626-369-8019
Monday to Friday from 6am to 6pm PST (apart from Holidays)

Delta Launches the First Bi-directional Inverter Integrating Solar Power, Power Storage, and EV Charging

In light of extreme climate risks, Delta has produced an independent, autonomous optical storage and charging system that integrates emergency backup power for families.

In recent years, news about extreme climate affecting power supplies has become increasingly common. In an incident of a large-scale power outage in Texas in 2021, the gradual shutdown of power generators resulted in 4 million households having no electricity during freezing weather conditions, and electricity price skyrocketed over 200 times higher than standard rates. Following the incident, power suppliers began placing greater emphasis on updating their grid and implementing backup mechanisms, while consumers started to seek ways to establish independent, autonomous, and reliable backup power sources. To meet this need, Delta developed an optical storage and charging bi-directional inverter (BDI). This all-in-one solution integrates the conversion and control of AC and DC power for household electricity infrastructure, rooftop solar power, energy storage batteries, and EV charging. During regular times, it allows households to dispatch power and save on electricity costs, while in an emergency, it provides backup power so that people can live life normally.

In the past, household solar power was primarily sold back to power companies or consumed to reduce the amount of electricity purchased during peak hours. However, excess electricity could not be stored, and during extended periods of snow or rain, it could not be used to generate power. The development of household-use small power storage systems meant that households could now store electricity, but their battery capacity was mostly in the range of 5–15 kWh. Thus, while they were useful for moderating peak and off-peak electricity use, they were ineffective during lengthy power outages. In addition, adding several sets of power systems to existing power infrastructure complicates power control and management, and frequent conversions between AC and DC result in energy loss. For long-term maintenance and repair, having multiple sets of systems also makes maintenance complex and causes problems with determining who is responsible for repairs and maintenance.

From rooftop solar power to household energy storage, Delta further integrates bidirectional charging and discharging for EVs

Delta has been invested in the research and development of solar inverters for over a decade. Following consistent improvements in energy conversion efficiency, the company has now launched a household-use energy storage system that enhances the utilization rate of solar power. In 2022, they leveraged their previous successes and patented bidirectional DC–DC inversion technology to create a mixed inverter. By integrating solar power, power storage, and EV bi-directional charging and discharging, Delta has realized optical storage and charging in an all-in-one solution that helps households prepare for the imminent transition to low-carbon grids and electrified transportation.

Compared with existing methods on the market, Delta’s BDI integrates multiple sets of systems into a single device, substantially simplifying the system framework for households to set up solar power, power storage, and EV charging. The solution has a smaller footprint and simpler wiring while also being cheaper to install and easier to maintain.

High-efficiency and family-safe green energy control core
Delta’s BDI supports various energy management applications, including excess solar power storage for use at night or during periods of no sunlight. It utilizes time-of-use by storing electricity during off-peak hours for use during peak hours, while helping prevent electricity spikes that would affect existing power infrastructure when charging EVs.

Considering the need to control heat dissipation and maintain safety of the integrated system, Delta’s BDI adopts a smart heat dissipating system. It integrates natural cooling and blower cooling, adds DC–DC power density, and increases the lifespan of the fan. Its unique arc duct design is both dustproof and waterproof, which helps to meet different heat dissipation demands. Regarding certification, in addition to the interconnection and operational standard IEEE 1547-2018 for decentralized energy and power systems, Delta’s BDI also conforms to UL2202 and UL9741 standards for EV charging as well as the UL 9540 standard for energy storage safety. For after-sales service, Delta offers a web portal and mobile application that provide instant information on power generation, sales, and consumption for users to obtain from any location. These can also be used to monitor the system operation and battery status and set different operation modes.

Delta’s BDI has first been launched in the United States. Initially, it will be paired with electric trucks, utilizing the capacity of the truck batteries to create a 10-day emergency backup power supply for households. In the future, Delta will cooperate with other EV manufacturers and create a V2X bi-directional charging and discharging system that is compatible with various EV car models.

For more information on the solar inverter, please contact Delta.

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
and last but not least is the HIS WHB 200A Grid Disconnect switch Install Guide.

I created a single PDF from yed19 uploaded pics. If I've missed any important documentation please upload. :)
Sponsored

Attachments