• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

OTA Update Help

jimhlee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Kia EV6, Volvo XC60, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Business Owner
After a mostly flawless run of quick and easy power up software updates, the two most recent priority updates both struggled to install (whether scheduled or manually requested) and I had multiple failures over several days. Both updates did eventually install, and in each case it was via a manual update request right after a 30 min drive.

I'm convinced that this is all tied to 12v SOC. There's no reason for mine to be low, but every time I do put it on a charger it seems to take a decent charge. So something is up, and the drive I did before my installs probably helped the 12v charge.

You could try a BMS reset too. Turn on accessory mode (start but don't press the brake), flash your main beams 5 times, then press the brake 3 times. The battery icon on the lower right of the dash should blink and after a couple of seconds should then return to solid.

I was having the same issues, I tried a BMS reset, and was about to charge my 12v while trying to do the update. I was low on the EV charge, so I plugged it in and let it auto update over night while charging, and it worked!

See if that can work for you too, do the update while the EV is being charged.
Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I had trouble with failed updates too and this is the last set of instructions that worked for me:

1. Make sure 12V battery is charged (drive for 30 minutes first)
2. Charge to at least 96%
3. Turn Lights off (not Auto)
4. Apply Parking brake
5. Lock doors
No luck. This update has failed 10 times now with nothing but an indication that a process is running in the background and that "Help us install your new Ford Power-Up" message. Frustrating.

jimhlee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
No luck. This update has failed 10 times now with nothing but an indication that a process is running in the background and that "Help us install your new Ford Power-Up" message. Frustrating.
Did you try to have it update while your EV is charging? After many attempts of getting it to update doing the other items, that was the one trick that worked. I was charging mine in the garage while it auto updated during the scheduled time during the evening.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Nobody has said to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time...

Very frustrating. I agree with charging to 90% to see if that helps.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you try to have it update while your EV is charging? After many attempts of getting it to update doing the other items, that was the one trick that worked. I was charging mine in the garage while it auto updated during the scheduled time during the evening.
Yes. It was plugged in and charged to 100% with all doors/windows up and locked and the lights off.
Last night it updated on the 11th try. Truck was NOT plugged in - SOC was 98%. All previous attempts, the truck was plugged in. Apparently this update doesnā€™t want the truck plugged in.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The reality is that we have no idea what is stopping the update. I did X, and the it worked, doesn't mean that X is the reason that it worked.

We came home from a drive, it said update pending, hit apply, and it applied. It was NOT charging.

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I was having the same issue. Night after night it kept on telling me the update failed and nothing I tried worked to get the update to happen.

Until I took the truck into my Ford dealership for scheduled maintenance. They told me one update had to do with the antenna and they manually applied that one. They also said there were a dozen other updates waiting to be applied and if I had any more issues to bring it back and they would do the updates.

Once I got home I tried to apply missing updates and it started right away.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Thanks for the info! I did exactly what you suggested I did a reset on the BMS and then took it for a 30 minute drive and it updated the second I returned home.
Did a BMS reset today and drove over an hour and still no luck here lol. Itā€™s so annoying.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Tried this, didnā€™t work

OP
OP
Jim657

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat , 22 Mach E GT
Did a BMS reset today and drove over an hour and still no luck here lol. Itā€™s so annoying.
The only other thing I did was turn my phone off. If you using phone as key and keep the key fob away from the vehicle. Not sure if it actually helped or not but thatā€™s what I did when I came home just to prevent the truck from waking up anytime I went near it. Good luck hopefully it will go through soon.

Sponsored

jimhlee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Yes. It was plugged in and charged to 100% with all doors/windows up and locked and the lights off.
Last night it updated on the 11th try. Truck was NOT plugged in - SOC was 98%. All previous attempts, the truck was plugged in. Apparently this update doesnā€™t want the truck plugged in.
So for clarity, did you try to run the update while it was actively charging? For me, the difference with it updating or not was that it was in actively charging the vehicle while the update was going on.

Just in case that helps.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So for clarity, did you try to run the update while it was actively charging? For me, the difference with it updating or not was that it was in actively charging the vehicle while the update was going on.

Just in case that helps.
So this update went in overnight when I DID NOT plug in the truck. Would be really helpful if Ford would actually tell us WHY an update fails so we can adjust one of the 20 factors that cause it to fail. In any case, the update succeeded on the 11th try and I still have no idea why the first 10 attempts failed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So this update went in overnight when I DID NOT plug in the truck. Would be really helpful if Ford would actually tell us WHY an update fails so we can adjust one of the 20 factors that cause it to fail. In any case, the update succeeded on the 11th try and I still have no idea why the first 10 attempts failed.
There are basically 2 reasons an update wonā€™t successfully install. Either the LVB falls to an unacceptable state of charge, or the software just encounters some error state that wasnā€™t anticipated by the developers.

Iā€™d venture to guess 90% are due to LVB.

All of the anecdotal tips are simply coincidencesā€¦.vehicle locked (or unlocked), parking brake set, not on WiFi (or on WiFi), wave a dead chicken before stopping the truck, on and on.

But I agree, telling us the exact reason would be helpful.

My last update failed 11 times. It finally succeeded after I drove 200 miles to the lake for vacation. Iā€™m sure that drive fully topped off the LVB. Or am I? šŸ˜€

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are basically 2 reasons an update wonā€™t successfully install. Either the LVB falls to an unacceptable state of charge, or the software just encounters some error state that wasnā€™t anticipated by the developers.

Iā€™d venture to guess 90% are due to LVB.

All of the anecdotal tips are simply coincidencesā€¦.vehicle locked (or unlocked), parking brake set, not on WiFi (or on WiFi), wave a dead chicken before stopping the truck, on and on.

But I agree, telling us the exact reason would be helpful.

My last update failed 11 times. It finally succeeded after I drove 200 miles to the lake for vacation. Iā€™m sure that drive fully topped off the LVB. Or am I? šŸ˜€
I'm 99% positive it wasn't the LVB. On numerous days I ran longer trips and it didn't update. Incidentally, when it did succeed, I had only driven the truck a short distance that day so the LVB may have been lower than some of the other days. It complained about a "background process" stopping the update but no indication of what that "background process" was or what area was affected. I'll chalk it up to quirky software with idiot messages asking for help. It's like my wife saying "The car seems funny today".

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm 99% positive it wasn't the LVB. On numerous days I ran longer trips and it didn't update. Incidentally, when it did succeed, I had only driven the truck a short distance that day so the LVB may have been lower than some of the other days. It complained about a "background process" stopping the update but no indication of what that "background process" was or what area was affected. I'll chalk it up to quirky software with idiot messages asking for help. It's like my wife saying "The car seems funny today".
The ā€background process stopping the updateā€ falls into the second category of the 2 I listed.
Sponsored